SwiftTalk will I be banned?

Airstream

Friends of ours had a Swift caravan, the first time used water all over the floor, wate not connected to kitchen sink, after a few months the vanhadto go back to the factory and have both sides of the van replaced, they were saturated as the window frames had been put in upside down, there were also numerous other issues, Swift did put everything right inthe end and gave them an extra 5years warrenty. They eventualy got rid of the van at a give away px value needless to say they have not bought another swift.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at least Swift came up trumps with a factory repair, even though it was out of the warranty period. Some manufacturers are not so forthcoming - witness bailey's "dentgate" It will be interesting to see how theyalso handle the reported rotting floors in the Pegasus vans.

You wouldn't be a management member of Swift...would you?

Airstream - 2012-10-22 6:28 PM

I have to take the motorhome as a complete unit so who do I blame for:-

The rotting floor, wheel arches dropping off, cracked roof where awning fixings overtightened, basin fixings failing, 6 x control panels, 3 battery chargers, 5 fuse boxes, 3 x faulty hab doors, decorative foil peeling from boards,badley fitted rear window, trim edges detaching, rear view camera detatching (fixe with Velcro!!!!!), 230 volt sockets working intermittently, bubbling trims on cooker. rear skirtings losing colour, shower trim detaching, no support under front edge of shower tray door handles on adjacent doors 30mm out of line, missing fixings to furniture, cracked roof light on delivery 3 of the 4 plastic bed rails splitting etc etc and approx 6 months out of action/at dealers for warranty work

Lucky you had one of the better ones, gods knows what a bad one would be like. :D :D :D :D

Good old British build quality.

bob b - 2012-10-22 8:51 PM

Well, at least Swift came up trumps with a factory repair, even though it was out of the warranty period. Some manufacturers are not so forthcoming - witness bailey's "dentgate" It will be interesting to see how theyalso handle the reported rotting floors in the Pegasus vans.

You wouldn't be a management member of Swift...would you?

Far from it - wish I was. I could do with the income, but at nearly 70 years of age, just a very happy Swift custromer (along with many thousands of other you never hear from)

Chequeredflag - 2012-10-22 6:57 PM I have to say that your response is just the type of thing that gets people chucked off of Swift Talk!!!. Shame the mods don't show the same sort of discipline on here.

Blimey, they must be tetchy. How would they be if someone's second ever post referred to another user's motorhome as a monstrosity? 

I fully understand that there are many Swift owners out there that are happy with their 'vans. I am glad for them. I wouldn't want to see anyone living with the misery of spending all their money on something that is a liability. Regular readers will know I am critical of the build quality of many marques and believe it a fundamental wrong that consumers are expected to pay a great deal of money for shoddy workmanship.

It's one on the reasons why I always advocate thorough research before being bedazzled by the shiny chrome stickers and slippery salesman.

Anyone doing such research will find out enough about the current, and recent years', build quality of Swift group products to make an informed decision.

I personally, having done such research, would avoid them at all costs.

You clearly feel the need to justify your own choices but please don't just accept my word. Spend a little while reading the accounts of the countless masses of bitterly disappointed customers, indeed, you may wish to remove your rose-tints for a while and re-read the OP's experiences.

Based on the wealth of EVIDENCE freely available, not just idle conjecture or random uninformed insult, you will find that your 'van is very likely to be one of the poorest quality products in its price range that you could possibly have opted for: well done! (only one exclamation mark is required, incidentally).

crinklystarfish - 2012-10-23 8:35 AM
Chequeredflag - 2012-10-22 6:57 PM I have to say that your response is just the type of thing that gets people chucked off of Swift Talk!!!. Shame the mods don't show the same sort of discipline on here.

Blimey, they must be tetchy. How would they be if someone's second ever post referred to another user's motorhome as a monstrosity? 

I fully understand that there are many Swift owners out there that are happy with their 'vans. I am glad for them. I wouldn't want to see anyone living with the misery of spending all their money on something that is a liability. Regular readers will know I am critical of the build quality of many marques and believe it a fundamental wrong that consumers are expected to pay a great deal of money for shoddy workmanship.

It's one on the reasons why I always advocate thorough research before being bedazzled by the shiny chrome stickers and slippery salesman.

Anyone doing such research will find out enough about the current, and recent years', build quality of Swift group products to make an informed decision.

I personally, having done such research, would avoid them at all costs.

You clearly feel the need to justify your own choices but please don't just accept my word. Spend a little while reading the accounts of the countless masses of bitterly disappointed customers, indeed, you may wish to remove your rose-tints for a while and re-read the OP's experiences.

Based on the wealth of EVIDENCE freely available, not just idle conjecture or random uninformed insult, you will find that your 'van is very likely to be one of the poorest quality products in its price range that you could possibly have opted for: well done! (only one exclamation mark is required, incidentally).
I wish you well with your crusade! (just one exclamation mark)

Chequeredflag - 2012-10-22 7:24 PM

Well, at least Swift came up trumps with a factory repair, even though it was out of the warranty period. .

Well heres my take, my van was approx 6/7 weeks out of warranty with no hint of ingress problems, I decided to p/x my van for an Adria, all was set up for the day, handing over cash insurance changed over etc, I arrive at said dealer, they inform me they will do an Hab check for damp, no probs I thought.

Well there was a prob, it had failed and had damp inside (58MY Ace Airstream 630 EW), the dealer contacted swift to see if they would do anything, which initially they seemed like they would...great, but unfortunately once swift realised I had actually P/X my van on the day, that was the end of any assistance, So I had to stump up a large amount of cash to pay as a bond to the dealer.

I attempted to reclaim my cash back but the answer was still no, I tried to explain that there was no going back on the day as all docs etc had been changed over, but there answer was still no recompense, So in hindsight I will never do the deal for a new van without having the hab check done before handover, but it does seem a small technicallity that if I had held back another week swift may of paid for the work to be done.....so honesty got me nowhere.

On reflection I wish swift well, as I am pro-british were sense prevails, but on this occasion I feel they let me down and will not buy again from them.

Regards

Andy

Guest JudgeMental

how long is water ingress warranty with swift....not long enough I guess!

Andy last year I was in an identical position. had had a recent damp check that turned up nothing, then a few months later on the day of PX, damp was discovered, quick call by dealer to Euramobil, warranty still valid (1 year left of 6 years) so deal went ahead as previously agreed to our relief..

at least you have a decent van now in the Adria :-D

Yep I am more that happy Judge with my Adria, got one small niggle to solve with the Truma E to get to the bottom of yet, but overall much better, my Ace also had a door replacement due to delam, To cap it all, on the day before handover the lock mechanisim gave up the ghost, I pleaded ignorance :->

Andy

andy mccord - 2012-10-23 12:21 PM

Well, at least Swift came up trumps with a factory repair, even though it was out of the warranty period. .

Well heres my take, my van was approx 6/7 weeks out of warranty with no hint of ingress problems, I decided to p/x my van for an Adria, all was set up for the day, handing over cash insurance changed over etc, I arrive at said dealer, they inform me they will do an Hab check for damp, no probs I thought.

Well there was a prob, it had failed and had damp inside (58MY Ace Airstream 630 EW), the dealer contacted swift to see if they would do anything, which initially they seemed like they would...great, but unfortunately once swift realised I had actually P/X my van on the day, that was the end of any assistance, So I had to stump up a large amount of cash to pay as a bond to the dealer.

Sorry to hear of your damp problem with your ACE, however, I don't see how you can blame Swift for not paying for the repair work as you NO LONGER owned the van ... if you had they would have covered it apparently. Perhaps what you should have done was to get the dealer to reverse the paperwork (albeit still keeping the 'new' vehicle for you) and the deal/arrangement to PX as before, but at a later date. Then you could genuinely have got the repair work done. If anyone is to blame, it is your DEALER who put you in this predicament, rather than Swift, as your dealer should NOT have finalised the paperwork until the damp etc report had been done.

Also, what do you mean about having to pay a bond? Was this until they were able to claim the damp fix cost back from Swift rather than you? Did you get your 'bond' back?

Airstream - 2012-10-21 8:35 PM

Hi,

Just had a post removed by Andy Spacy - Swift did not like me reporting in a thread just a few of the countless failures and the fact that our van was off the road for six months at dealers and Swift factory

So I have to only post good news and world peace or be banned for life

Have asked Andy to advise any part of my post that was not true -Swift can't as all docs with myself, dealer and Swift

Hi Ray

I have had a shuftie at the SwiftTalk site, and although I didn't see your original posting itself, I have seen the postings from Andy and your comment about it being pulled, extracts below:

Reply by Andy Spacey on Sunday

Ray

Your comments are totally unacceptable and have been removed, please refrain from posting such comments in the future on here,

Andy

Reply by RAY HESKETH on Sunday

Andy Sorry if the truth is unacceptable - please tell me what part of my post in not true and cant be substantiated by both my dealer Marquis Preston and Swift customer services mainly Kerry and Kath who kept us sane in the first three years of Swift ownership

Reply by Andy Spacey on Sunday

Ray - I am not going to allow you to use this forum for a personal crusade, If you post such comments again you will be suspended, Andy

I think Andy's point has some merit - if you have a problem(s) then you should take it up with the appropriate company (you dealer) and not try to get it discussed by Swift in public via the Swift forum which, apart from anything else, Swift could not do probably because of libel/data protection act rules etc. They don't pull posts simply because people criticise their products, as can be seen from the remainder of the thread and other treads too, but they will if they see it turning into something else - as you had also 'hijacked' someone else's thread in the process I think Andy was probably right to do what he did. This is not excusing the problems you allegedly had with your Ace (it happens with all makes of motorhome), but there are ways and means of doing things and your way doesn't appear to have been done in the best way. :-S

Dear MEL B

How can you say Andy;s stance has merit when you gave no idea what I posted or in what context the post had with the OP or subsequent posts

Andy knows the history of our van very well and it was Swift themselves including Andy,Martin.Kath, Ash, Carol and Kerry who along with Marquis worked together to solve the continual failures and problems we have endured

Our situation was well beyond what could have been expected of the dealer as it also included Norrdelettorica and Euromax

So please keep to facts as my problems with Swift are all factual not alledged

Regards Ray

Mel B - 2012-10-24 3:19 PM

andy mccord - 2012-10-23 12:21 PM

Sorry to hear of your damp problem with your ACE, however, I don't see how you can blame Swift for not paying for the repair work as you NO LONGER owned the van ... if you had they would have covered it apparently. Perhaps what you should have done was to get the dealer to reverse the paperwork (albeit still keeping the 'new' vehicle for you) and the deal/arrangement to PX as before, but at a later date. Then you could genuinely have got the repair work done. If anyone is to blame, it is your DEALER who put you in this predicament, rather than Swift, as your dealer should NOT have finalised the paperwork until the damp etc report had been done.

Also, what do you mean about having to pay a bond? Was this until they were able to claim the damp fix cost back from Swift rather than you? Did you get your 'bond' back?

Hi Mel,

Lets be clear, I could of told swift a small white lie, and stated that I still owned the van when I Didn’t, so my dealer & I hid nothing, Swift were leaning towards assistance right up until the point when they found out I had P/Xd the van, So one minute assistance was there, the next they had pulled the plug.

My point is, one minute I had a good chance of help, the next it was gone at the first chance to pull out, There was no way for me to back out of the deal, I wouldn’t even of had insurance for my old van as it was transferred to the new one, So I don’t blame my dealer for the situation I ended up in, I blame the van for failing, what I was trying to get through to swift was although I no longer technically had the van they could still help me by reimbursing the bond that I had to pay the dealer for the premature failure in my mind of their product.

I honestly believe if I had owned the van, Swift would of repaired it FOC, But there’s no way they will pay for a repair that another company carried out.

The bond was taken from me as an estimation from the dealer the actual cost would be of the repair, which I had to foot, needless to say I never got any change out of it

Regards

Andy

Guest JudgeMental

I really don't get your problem, don't you think the resent posters have has enough grief with out this selfish I'm alright jack garbage from you...

EDIT: I'm not surprised you deleted it... and Mel a bit surprised by you also, we are supposed to be a group of enthusiasts, supporting each other from the machinations of the big boys. None of your business really if someone chooses to use the forum to air their grievances. That they feel that they need to share it on here is justification in itself IMO

JudgeMental - 2012-10-24 5:06 PM

I really don't get your problem, don't you think the resent posters have has enough grief with out this selfish I'm alright jack garbage from you...

Eddie you were a touch quick here, as it happens I agree with you so deleted content. However not im all right jack, I no longer have a Swift, as you well know, just another point of view from the anti anything UK brigade, like you, on here.

I assume that's not aimed at me???? 8-)

EDIT: I'm not surprised you deleted it... and Mel a bit surprised by you also, we are supposed to be a group of enthusiasts, supporting each other from the machinations of the big boys. None of your business really if someone chooses to use the forum to air their grievances. That they feel that they need to share it on here is justification in itself IMO

Whoooooo there Eddie and Rupert ... I don't have a problem with Ray posting on here, or anywhere else for that matter, however on the Swift forum (which is what we were talking about - see title of thread! *-) ) he was using it to have a discussion about his 'personal' experiences and expecting Swift to reply ON FORUM about it. That is a different thing totally from sorting things out with them himself. They would not be able to respond about his 'personal' problems with his Ace.

Airstream - 2012-10-24 4:54 PM

Dear MEL B

How can you say Andy;s stance has merit when you gave no idea what I posted or in what context the post had with the OP or subsequent posts

Andy knows the history of our van very well and it was Swift themselves including Andy,Martin.Kath, Ash, Carol and Kerry who along with Marquis worked together to solve the continual failures and problems we have endured

Our situation was well beyond what could have been expected of the dealer as it also included Norrdelettorica and Euromax

So please keep to facts as my problems with Swift are all factual not alledged

Regards Ray

Sorry Ray, but your contract was with your dealer, not Swift themselves - I don't know the full story and to be honest I don't think I need to, as what I was commenting on was the WAY in which you have done what you did, not whether you are telling porkies or not. As you have mentioned above, you have had to get others involved as well as your dealer so I can't see how you can lay all the blame at Swift's door which is what you seem to be doing.

I have my own idea of what happened on the Swift forum (NOT your van's problems) and it was that that I was mainly commenting on - it is my view and I am entitled to it, just as you are entitled to yours. :-S

andy mccord - 2012-10-24 4:55 PM

Hi Mel,

Lets be clear, I could of told swift a small white lie, and stated that I still owned the van when I Didn’t, so my dealer & I hid nothing, Swift were leaning towards assistance right up until the point when they found out I had P/Xd the van, So one minute assistance was there, the next they had pulled the plug.

My point is, one minute I had a good chance of help, the next it was gone at the first chance to pull out, There was no way for me to back out of the deal, I wouldn’t even of had insurance for my old van as it was transferred to the new one, So I don’t blame my dealer for the situation I ended up in, I blame the van for failing, what I was trying to get through to swift was although I no longer technically had the van they could still help me by reimbursing the bond that I had to pay the dealer for the premature failure in my mind of their product.

I honestly believe if I had owned the van, Swift would of repaired it FOC, But there’s no way they will pay for a repair that another company carried out.

The bond was taken from me as an estimation from the dealer the actual cost would be of the repair, which I had to foot, needless to say I never got any change out of it

Regards

Andy

Sorry Andy, but your dealer DID put you in the situation not Swift! If the check had been done and the deal agreed BEFORE the paperwork etc was completed, as it should have been, then you would NOT have had to stump up the dosh. You could have changed your insurance back to your Ace - we've had to change ours before today at last minute so it can be done.

IMV, if your dealer had been truly bothered for you they would have OFFERED to change it all back as I suggested, so that you could then get the repair done FOC and then they would have had a van which was in the condition they though it was originally and without them having to lift a finger either. Are you SURE that they didn't get the repair money from Swift, or that Swift didn't do it?

One last question - before the Ace went out of warranty did you have a habitation/damp check carried out? We always make it a point to have this done just before any warranty expires, that way if anything is found it is fixed FOC. If this had been done on your Ace surely it would have picked up the problem? :-S

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2012-10-24 7:04 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 6:47 PM

Is Autocruise a Swift................... Mel? :-S

what do you think... *-)

Oooop's :$...........................has Mel been banned then? :-S

Between you and me though Eddie she does come from Ull *-)............So I'm not surprised ;-)

Archived