SwiftTalk will I be banned?

Airstream

JudgeMental - 2012-10-24 7:04 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 6:47 PM

Is Autocruise a Swift................... Mel? :-S

what do you think... *-)

It is part of the same group as Swift (ie owned by them) but that's all. I don't dispute that Swift motorhomes have damp and other problems, I had one previously (2001) with a swimming pool under the side settee so I know all about them letting water in, but that has nothing to do with the reason why Ray has been warned. :-S

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's much easier to consider the rights and wrongs of his approach with the benefit of not being the affected party. 

Given the ongoing trauma and frustration with what is, at the end of the day, something that is supposed to make life more enjoyable, I completely understand why he would try every avenue possible to improve his position.

I personally would be seething in his position. The poor bloke is being made to live a genuine nightmare while the dealer and manufacturer can go home every night without that burden.

Assuming the faults are not in any way attributable to the owner, if I were the the MD of the Swift group I'd be ashamed that such tat had been turned out on my watch and would simply give the bloke a brand new 'van (some of which, I once again acknowledge, are perfectly adequately assembled).

Yes the contract is with the dealer, but what of the morality.

Ref. Swift, I purchased a 2005 Autocruise a couple of years ago, nice van but Autocruise had just been 'rescued' by Swift, so, when looking for a few 'bits' I phoned Swift spares dept. The results of that conversation has meant that I have just purchased a new Autotrail as opposed to a Swift.

They were unhelpful to the point of rudeness, ' All pre- 2007 Autocruise spares 'Disposed of'.

And No, we cannot help you at all, any pre-2007 Autocruises are NONE of our concern, Goodbye !.

No helpful advice, no sorry you could try XXXX.

SO, two years on and a New, Van beckons. I didn't even consider Swift, what if i need a spare part ? would i get the same rudeness ? So, an Autotrail it was.

And the 'canning' of the Autocruise coachbuilt brand was NO suprise to me.

Too Big, Too Remote, and NOT customer 'centered'. Ray

In total agreement with Mel here. As always she makes some well thought out and sensible points, which can not always be said of some other contributors.

Not got a Swift at moment but have owned four in the past and yes some had problems but were all sorted by our dealers Brownhills. (Yes know they get a bad press but we have always found them great to deal with). Would be happy to buy Swift again if layout right for us now. But these problems were nothing compared to those we had with our Adria Coral and the dealer (not Brownhills). Moral of all this; all makes have problems but, from our experience Swift are no worse than most and better than many.

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-10-24 10:20 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 10:17 PM

Has anyone owned a Swift for 20+ years? ;-)

... most people aren't as 'tight' as you Dave!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nowt to do with being tight Mel ;-) ..............................Longevity is my agenda along with cheap maintenance B-)

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 10:24 PM

Nowt to do with being tight Mel ;-) ..............................Longevity is my agenda along with cheap maintenance B-)

And a big garage to keep your van nice and cosy ... most people don't have that advantage. :-S

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-10-24 10:26 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 10:24 PM

And a big garage to keep your van nice and cosy ... most people don't have that advantage. :-S

So what's cheaper ;-).......building a garage or changing your van? (?) :D..........

Not quite 20 years yet, but 14 years with 85,000 on the clock and rising. Still dry as a bone, everything still working, layout as good as it's always been, thoughtful design touches abound, solid build quality, everything I could wish for in a motorhome.

The only times I've had contact with Swift they've been most helpful and professional. 1) I asked if they still had a handbook, and they not only sent me one but also a brochure for that particular model 10 years after it was built. 2) They did a recall to upgrade the seatbelt anchorages in the front dinette and this was handled superbly in conjunction with AlKo. All expenses paid, including fuel and overnight stay.

There have been no problems at all on the habitation side apart from maintenance and repair of non-Swift things like the water heater and blown air fan. The Fiat bit's only required service items, too, apart from one rear wheel bearing.

Whether the new ones are as well built I really couldn't say, but I'm well pleased with mine and intend to keep it for a lot longer yet.

Guest pelmetman
mikemoss - 2012-10-25 10:13 AM

Whether the new ones are as well built I really couldn't say, but I'm well pleased with mine and intend to keep it for a lot longer yet.

I suspect it will be the complexity of the new vans that will be their Achilles heel ;-)................Our van can be repaired with a hammer.............modern vans have more chips than our local chip shop :D

andy mccord - 2012-10-23 12:21 PM

Chequeredflag - 2012-10-22 7:24 PM

Well, at least Swift came up trumps with a factory repair, even though it was out of the warranty period. .

Well heres my take, my van was approx 6/7 weeks out of warranty with no hint of ingress problems, I decided to p/x my van for an Adria, all was set up for the day, handing over cash insurance changed over etc, I arrive at said dealer, they inform me they will do an Hab check for damp, no probs I thought.

Well there was a prob, it had failed and had damp inside (58MY Ace Airstream 630 EW), the dealer contacted swift to see if they would do anything, which initially they seemed like they would...great, but unfortunately once swift realised I had actually P/X my van on the day, that was the end of any assistance, So I had to stump up a large amount of cash to pay as a bond to the dealer.

I attempted to reclaim my cash back but the answer was still no, I tried to explain that there was no going back on the day as all docs etc had been changed over, but there answer was still no recompense, So in hindsight I will never do the deal for a new van without having the hab check done before handover, but it does seem a small technicallity that if I had held back another week swift may of paid for the work to be done.....so honesty got me nowhere.

On reflection I wish swift well, as I am pro-british were sense prevails, but on this occasion I feel they let me down and will not buy again from them.

Regards

Andy

Did you ask for a current damp check certificate for the motorhome you was buying, it works both ways. You could have asked the salesman to carry one out in your presence.

Archived