A new crop of 636SB PVC's

colin

Back from our first trip to NEC for a couple of years, saw several new 636SB style vans.

First was the updated version of our Globecar, a couple of improvements and IMO a couple of mistakes.

The first thing of note was the new sliding mossie net on the SLD that all new Globecars seem to have, talking to the SMC parts manager and he has been inundated with people wanting to know if it can be retro fitted, the answer seems to be yes and they have a few in stock and 50 on order at £300 approx.

The Truma control panel has now been moved above SLD, whilst this means it can no longer be aciddently adjusted by walking past it they have filled in the small shelf above SLD, not a good idea IMO as this was handy for putting small items like torch or bino's that you could grab as leaving van.

Next the gas compartment has a small door at rear so bottles can be easily turned on/off, we fitted a Truma CS regulator which we leave permanently on when van is in use.

Next the rear storage compartment has been slightly revised to give more width, a plus for some prehaps but we find that we have to much storage area already.

Next the grill (and small oven?) it has been postioned under fridge opposite bathroom right next to beds, a mistake IMO, we have a retro fitted grill in main galley and much prefer this.

Next up was a Hymer, as Globecar/Possl are made by Hymer group at thier Delthefs factory I think this may have been designed by Peter Possl or built with permission as it uses some common parts like the shower tray and water tank, and is generaly the same.

A few tweaks of the Globecar design, such as slightly different rear storage with extra cupboards and Truma combi moved to under dinette seat, slightly different upper cupboards and also galley has been made slightly different, a problem with this might be that there is no grill and one cannot seamingly be fitted where we have one.

The bathroom oddly enough seems to have a 'cheaper' feel to it compared to Globecar.

The final one we saw was the new Adria SLX, this is a major change from the last 636 they made which was not a good design at all, it's fairly obvious they have copied as best they can the Peter Possl design.

The upper cupboards are of the Twin type which is good news.

The rear bed appears to have a similier construction mattress to the Twin which is again good news, also it is set lower than the Globecar, something I'm considering doing to our van, as I said before we have too much storage and the extra headroom above bed whilst not essencial would be welcome.

The galley has one of the deepest sinks I've seen in this type of van, it has a hob, but the one we saw had no grill and it looked like might be an awkard fit.

The shower/bathroom is similier to Globecar but not IMO as good, the sliding door arrangement doesn't work as well, it might be possible to improve things by removing stops which prevent the doors from sliding all the way around, but by not 'rolling up' the front door it has less of an open feel than the Globecar.

Guest JudgeMental

There are quite a few new vans out but most don't make it to NEC. We are going to Stuttgart show in January because of this. Primarily interested in new Possl 636 FR

Adria Truma control above bed...where it should be. I will probably miss the Adria bed as it is the best. For some odd reason the Possl/globe car beds are not hinged so a lot less practical in the 636 vans. German dealer says he can fix this....

If you want to get an idea of how many vans out there have a look on www.mobile.de But like Colin says a lot are more or less identical and simply a rebadge job.....

maggyd - 2012-10-22 11:49 AM

I like the look of these

http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/neo-s-motorhome-info.php

Had a look inside one of these, not to our liking, longer than 636, same size beds but much less storage underneath, much smaller washroom, much smaller front 'dinette', carpet up the walls. The upside is bigger galley, but ours is big enough for us.

goldi - 2012-10-24 11:42 AM

Morning Colin,

We do want to spend all our time cooking either, or spend it in the toilet so these areas do not need to be more than necessary.

norm

Some people like to do thier sunday roast, but thats not for us, we predominatly holiday in UK and outside of July/August, we do most of our own cooking, two burners and a grill supplies all the hot meals with ease.

The washroom on these 636's are (as I've said before) a marmite thing, we like ours, when not in use takes up little room, when in use is big enough that gf's claustrophobia doesn't come in to play, the downside it blocks access to fridge when in use, but for the short lenghts of time it takes to shower or use toilet we find not a problem.

Guest JudgeMental

Don't knock it Colin..if it means you can reach over and get another cold tinny out fridge while sitting on the throne reading paper sounds invaluable..

Yes that "unique selling point" of UK van conversions .. Unhygienic, cheap carpet up the walls...remind me of cheap 70's conversions :D

Archived