NCC

rolandrat

I spent some time on the NCC stand at the NEC and was discussing the manufacturer and dealer approval scheme that is in place. I'm far from convinced that they will be monitored to ensure that we as end users are being fairly treated when manufacturing faults have to be put right. I would have thought that for every caravan or motorhome that had been booked in and worked on in the manufacturers and dealers workshop should have some form of documentation that could be logged so that statistics can be formed to be able to monitor their performance. One document should be a receipt stating the faults and the rectification work that has been carried out and the name of the person who signed the work off as being carried out.

At the moment, apart from owners posting on forums no one has any idea that a particular motorhome manufacturer is producing recurring problems because of poor quality control.

I believe in freedom of speech and as long as you are being honest and truthfull with what you are saying then the manufacturers and dealers should take the flak instead of crying wolf.

We have all seen posts on here where an owner has had problems and have been mentioned only to see no follow up and you never hear of him again. I wonder why!

I hope that being a member of the NCC is not just a rubber stamp exercise to be able to display its logo to give people a false impression.

When audits are being carried out they should just show up unannounced, not be presented with a motorhome that has previously been bulled up for an appointment.

rolandrat - 2012-10-22 10:00 AM

....We have all seen posts on here where an owner has had problems and have been mentioned only to see no follow up and you never hear of him again. I wonder why!... .

Why?...probably because,more often than not,folk only post on forums when they've something to moan about...and once things are sorted(ish),they tend to not post about it any longer..and generally get on with their lives... ;-)

Unless you're suggesting that their "silence" has been acheived by some some of organised "hit",arranged by the manufacturer in question..? (lol)

I would have thought that some sort of league table of manufacturing faults/problems would help when deciding which motorhome manufacturer to avoid. I doubt if it could ever be achieved though. As for the comment about moaners, I wouldn't think that a fault which could be classed as serious is a moan, certainly not a sponge on wheels.

I agree,a "league table" based on faults and/or customer satisfaction would(should?) be beneficial..

..however,from what comes across in some threads,some folk seem impressed by a dealer,just because they have a nice customer lounge and their vending machine makes a nice coffee.. (lol)

My,somewhat tongue, in cheek "..only post when they've something to moan about.." line,was quite clearly in response to you wondering why you never hear from them again.. ;-)

(..nowhwere did I say customers should put up with vehicles being "sponges" *-) )

I should have ended the post, for instance. I wasn't inferring that you said anything about a sponge, I was just highlighting the fact that some owners do have serious problems which they like to bring to others attention, I could have said delamination maybe which is still a serious problem.

Only last week I was told about people who had spent large amounts of money having damp eradication work carried out and a friend who is waiting to have his motorhome returned to the factory for serious water ingression work to be fixed. We as owners think it is only happening to us but there are numerous owners out there that have had serious problems or are waiting to have work done that we don't know about. The motorhomes that I personally know about are less than 18 months old apart from one which is 3 years old but a very low mileage. Fortunately they are returned in a "as new" condition. There will be owners out there who are totally unaware that they may have a damp problem and all I can say to them is make sure that you have a thorough habitation check when it becomes due or it could be very expensive in the long run if you dont. In my case the first problem with water ingression was noticed within 24 hours of ownership, it was brand new. Eventually we parted with it thinking that the next new motorhome wouldn't or couldn't have an ingress problem, "wrong". We had it alright so it had to go back to the factory to be stripped down and put right. The motorhome is now in a perfect state but has taken considerable time to get there. I know that if I part with it the next owner will have a perfect, trouble free motorhome. There is a lot to be said about not buying new, look for one about a year old that has had all the manufacturing faults put right.

One area to thoroughly have checked out is the wall to floor joints and around the wheel arches, they are areas that you wouldn't normally look at because they are hidden by the skirts and mudguards.

Archived