Making changes to our Panel Van ?

milkyway

Hello , almost new on here, and wondered what others think . Went to the NEC to look at motorhomes, we were looking for something with a drop down bed and bench seats for lounging on. Ideally 6 mtrs or a little longer, but could not find anything, there doesn't seem to be anything. An added problem is that we live on a steep hill with a bend on it and i think the long overhang on some of the vans will scrape on the bend.

The only one we saw without the long overhang was a new 6mtr Burstner Ixeo built on a long wheel base which was very nice but by the time we had added the extras on came to several thousands more than the list price! If anyone knows of any other makes we can consider I'd be very grateful, but if not we may have to keep the motorhome we have and make some modifications.

We have a PVC

It's a Chausson Twist 2 , with a bed across the back which can be lifted up if needed for access underneath to a big storage area. The bed is really comfy, but apart from the cab seats the only other seats are the dinnette ones which are straight upright, and hard! Has anyone had new fillings in these to make them more comfortable?

We also have a table in front of these seats, it's really quite big and I was wondering if it would be possible to move it and fix a swivel arm table here. Do these tables lock in place when using ?

Any other ideas please?

Thank you.

Hi 'Kid' :D

We used to have a Chausson Flash 04, similar layout to your PVC and I changed the table in that for a small flap table/shelf and a swivel table leg - I posted about it here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24622&posts=46

We now have an Autocruise Accent PVC. I've removed the original table and used the top of the replacement table (taken back out of the Chausson when we sold it) and cut it down so it isn't as intrusive as the original one was, so doesn't jut out into the aisle as much (photo 1 original table, photo 2 and 3 replacement table). If you could get another set of the clips that are on the original table, you could use the existing bar on the wall and fit a small removable flap table/shelf on it for when you don't want the large table.

I have kept the swivel leg as I didn't know if I was going to put in in our new van, however, I'm quite happy with the way it is so won't be using it now and was going to stick it on Ebay - if you're interested in it drop me a PM.

1744046655_originaltable.jpg.ead67a5b3a5dfc4a06a215901b1ccf25.jpg

1485743399_replacementtable2.JPG.6cb912ab74010b0d044a0cc9f31d2128.JPG

531242986_replacementtable3.JPG.c7207e7f0423b5c00a73a90767ee4cde.JPG

Hi Mel B ,

Thank you for the photos, they're very impressive. That certainly gives me some ideas. I like the idea of two tables, ie the flap, it's not always necessary to have a big table out.

I may have mislead you about the table leg I was thinking about. Hubby says its a cantilever leg. I was thinking of fitting it to the upright part of the dinette seat base, but not sure how stable it would be. I don't think the swivel foot in your earlier posts would fit on our floor, as we have a concealed locker under the table which would stop the foot from fastening down securely, .

Your van looks a lot like ours, do you find the dinette seats a bit upright, I wondered if we could change the angle of them , as we don't have any passengers. Tried putting a cushion behind the upright back cushion, but that didn't leave enough space to sit.

I fancied a couple of long bench seats for lazing on but sadly I only have a motorhome not a tardis so will have to make do.

Cheers,

Guest JudgeMental
The layout you have is the most popular overall for a 6 metre panel van for good reason..it is the most practical. There are some vans now with drop down beds if your interested I will have a look .

Hi Stalwart,

Yes if you have a minute please.

I love my PVC but I'm always envious when I see people lounging on their bench seats , but not sure if that was to be my sleeping cmpartment as well, that I would be ok with making the bed up each night. I want the best of both worlds really!

I know there is a trend for matching the travelling seats with the number of sleeping areas, but in our case we would like 2 berth with comfortable lounge area and as you say drop down beds may fit the bill.

Interested if anyone has comments regarding leaving bedding on a drop down bed when it's not being slept in. Is there room for a king size double duvet. It's cold here in the north!

Thanks.

Milkyway

Guest JudgeMental

forget about pull down beds in a panel van as I am sure they would be far from comfortable and akward.. have a look at this new Possl van with French bed. two distinct areas, king size rear bed that can be used like a lounge as well...

http://www.womoverkauf.ch/verkauf-campingbusse/globecar-fr-636/index.php

the Possl highliner range have drop down beds,....

http://www.poessl-mobile.de/de/modelle/h-line/2win_vario.html

Two 6ft 3ins lounge seats (sprung) at the rear of a panel van provides an excellent compromise for lounging and sleeping. In the day simply role up a sleeping bag and at night bring it out again. There is no need to make a bed up. For those who must sleep with their partners in the 40 degree of a Mediterranean summer then the double bed can be made up in about 30 seconds.

What's the problem?

Hi folks, thanks for all the ideas. Lots of things to look at, been viewing the links and some of the vans look amazing but they are expensive.

I have to decide if we continue to look for our perfect motorhome or keep the one we have. It's a lovely van and we have travelled many miles in it but we would like a little more seating comfort but nor at the expense of sleeping comfort.

I will update on any decisions we make, thank you

Milkyway

Gf has been known to complain about the dinette seat in our globecar ( I'm ok with it) there's been mutterings about changing cushions, whilst at NEC we saw an Autocruise(? ) with more sculptured dinette cushions but when sitting on it was rock hard, I think best bet might be to find a make with cushions you like then fit them in van, other option would be to contact one of the firms that make replacement cushions and see what they can offer.

Yes I saw those seats at the NEC. They were hard. I'm thinking of having them refilled with foam wrapped in Dacron like they do for settees etc. just fancy a change from the cab seats a times. Of course its not so important when we are away in warmer climes as we don't spend so much time in the van, usually end up outside with a glass of wine .

A couple of those stresless type chairs would fit the bill and maybe a jacuzzi.....?.

Yes I saw those seats at the NEC. They were hard. I'm thinking of having them refilled with foam wrapped in Dacron like they do for settees etc. just fancy a change from the cab seats a times. Of course its not so important when we are away in warmer climes as we don't spend so much time in the van, usually end up outside with a glass of wine .

A couple of those stresless type chairs would fit the bill and maybe a jacuzzi.....?.

Hi Milkyway

Our previous van (Autocruise Sportstar) was the coachbuilt equivalent of Mel’s Autocruise Accent PVC , only 10mm longer @ 6.09m & a large garage under the rear transverse bed.

http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2009-autocruise-sportstar

The compromise with almost all these forward ½ dinette layouts is the upright seating, however with a cushion against the side wall we found it comfortable enough of legs up lounging. With one on the ½ dinette seat & the other using the cab seats swivelled inwards

I fitted one of the “swan-neck” table legs to the nearside inward facing seat-base & it worked very well (it swivelled over the seat for travel or when not in use.) The main table was mainly in the stored in the garage) as I had a shortened version utilising the wall fixing bar. This worked well for US. Just got to sort out the same for current van over this winter. (Adria Sport S572SL although this is 1/2m longer than your desired 6M)

http://www.campbellsmotorhomes.co.uk/new-motorhome/adria-sport-s-572-sl/

Hi Stalwart,

I hadn't thought of sitting like that. I will go out and try it.

The swan neck table appeals, in fact it's probably what I have been trying to find but didn't know the name of hence not getting anything on google search.

Will now re look.

Yes those vans are similar to mine, not too worried if its a tad over 6m , it's mainly that we were looking for a build on a long wheel base to avoid the long overhang.

I think I will change name to still searching!

Morning all,

Yes Flicka thats how we lounge in our Adria twin, now (43000 miles) We are now looking at thebrand new model at devon conversions called the sahara and the globecar familyscout L. both are on the extra long chassis, about thirteen inch longer. Why someone has,nt done a slidout on a twin sliding door I do,nt know, perhaps thats the next development on the pvc. Our Adria has been an excellent van but we could do with a bit more comfort in the lounge especialy during the chilly and darker nights.

norm

Guest JudgeMental

Adria SPX on longer chassis but extra space given over to larger lounge

Have you looked at globecar/Possl FR with french bed linked to earlier in this thread, i think it works much better then twin bed models...

Guest JudgeMental
goldi - 2012-10-24 11:44 AM

Hello,

Do you know if they re going to import the Adria spx. ?

norm

They are all imported:-D but if you want RHD it does not look like it...

used 2012 models from approx £30K on www.mobile.de

new about £38K (before discount)

video:

Archived