Making changes to our Panel Van ?

milkyway

milkyway - 2012-10-23 12:26 AM

Hi Mel B ,

Thank you for the photos, they're very impressive. That certainly gives me some ideas. I like the idea of two tables, ie the flap, it's not always necessary to have a big table out.

I may have mislead you about the table leg I was thinking about. Hubby says its a cantilever leg. I was thinking of fitting it to the upright part of the dinette seat base, but not sure how stable it would be. I don't think the swivel foot in your earlier posts would fit on our floor, as we have a concealed locker under the table which would stop the foot from fastening down securely

I don't know if you looked at the other picture of our swivel table leg (see below) as it has a very small part that sits on the floor - as it actually fastens to the side panel too it would be possible to just 'stick' the base part to the floor rather than screw it; it also has 2 side clamps too that you attached to the side panel, although we found we only needed one. It took quite a bit of time to find this actual design of leg for our van but it worked a treat.

Your van looks a lot like ours, do you find the dinette seats a bit upright, I wondered if we could change the angle of them , as we don't have any passengers. Tried putting a cushion behind the upright back cushion, but that didn't leave enough space to sit.

I fancied a couple of long bench seats for lazing on but sadly I only have a motorhome not a tardis so will have to make do.

What I did in our Chausson Flash 04 (half-dinette & swivel seats) when sprawling on the dinette seats was to put a couple of large cushions against the window wall to lean against and one of our 3-legged camping stools with another cushion on to put my legs on - very comfy! For the cab, I used to swivel the seats to face each other and stick my feet up on the driver's one.

If you want to make the dinette seats a bit more comfortable (ie not so hard) try cutting down a memory foam mattress topper to fit the size of the base seat cushion and see if that makes it better (then you can easily make a cover for it - easy to wash too!). As for the back, again you could use some of the foam mattress topper to make a 'wedge' shaped piece to go behind the back cushion and another 'block' of it to put behind the base cushion to move it out a bit - you should then still have a seat squab big enough to sit on comfortably but which can easily be put back to 'original' if you need to carry passengers at any point.

39985989_tableleg.jpg.2d9e017ca99f18029bd788e8e13aee7c.jpg

What I did in our Chausson Flash 04 (half-dinette & swivel seats) when sprawling on the dinette seats was to put a couple of large cushions against the window wall to lean against and one of our 3-legged camping stools with another cushion on to put my legs on - very comfy!

We just pull the slidey thing out from the side seat behind drivers and pull cushion out, lovely and comfy apart from table being to high then which is a shame. :-D

milkyway - 2012-10-24 8:16 AM

Hi Stalwart,

I hadn't thought of sitting like that. I will go out and try it.

The swan neck table appeals, in fact it's probably what I have been trying to find but didn't know the name of hence not getting anything on google search.

Will now re look.

Yes those vans are similar to mine, not too worried if its a tad over 6m , it's mainly that we were looking for a build on a long wheel base to avoid the long overhang.

I think I will change name to still searching!

The "swan-neck" table legs are difficult to source on the net for some reason, guess different sources call them various names.

Magnum Motorhomes (Grimsby) had them in stock last Tuesday, (similar to the photo posted by Mel B) but they don't come up doing a search on their website. http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/index.asp

Price was £79.95 I think. They also do various sizes of table tops.

Also try Reimo, they are often used in WV camper conversions.

Thanks all. The photo looks like something that could work for us, I appreciate the ideas for the seats as well. I think I'll try to get some foam made into a wedge shape for the back, luckily we have a shop nearby who can cut odd shapes. If it works ok I can cover it so it wont show too much.

I have pointed out the photo to the other half who will be in charge of DIY and he is surfing the net as we speak following Flikas source for table legs.

Thank you everyone, very helpful, can't believe there are so many people willing to take the the time to reply.

I am going to post a new topic, looking for a bike rack for said panel van. Sure there will be someone who can help.

cheers, Milkyway

Thanks Colin, you have been busy, your van is just like ours only ours is gold. Glad it all fitted in.

The bike rack looks neat, did you have it done at the dealers or was it already on?

Do you think it will hold two electric bikes, 18. 5 kilo each?

Wondered if we should have something stronger fastened from the underneath of the van, like a mini trailer.

Will have to look at the prices.

Milkyway

Guest JudgeMental

Fiamma racks only have a 30kg - 35kg weight limit so not to the best choice for E Bikes. The 2 door sport thule omni rack has a 50kg limit but crap IMO. On my second replacement one at moment, which is falling apart just like the first (we have expensive lightweight e bikes)

I wish I had saved all the grief and bought a tow bar rack in the first place *-)

if you go for a tow bar rack make sure it is fitted high enough not to cause problems on inclines, reversing on steep hills, ferry ramps etc....

Yes , the overhang may be a problem, we live on a steep hill with a bend half way up!

Actually it's the reason we will probably keep the van we have as when I have looked for a coach built on a longwheel base ( so as not to have a big overhand ) they seem to be far and few between. The Hymer Exis

was built like this but I was so irritated by the £850 they wanted for matching cab seat cushions that I walked away from it.

I suppose if the price had included all the extras I wouldn't have known but once I did.........

Hey ho

Thanks

As far as I know the Fiamma bike rack you need is either the 200D (hooks over the top of the door) or 200DJ (mounted on 2 rails attached to the door and are expensive!). We got 200DJ one put on as part of our purchase deal so didn't have to pay for it (it is our actual van that is in the photo on the earlier thread link!).

I would be wary of putting too much weight on it though, we have a couple of folding bikes (about 15-16kg each) and when on the rails on the rack do 'flex' a bit as they are only supported at one side really, so I would be very wary of putting heavier electric bikes on. It may be possible instead to have something made to attach to the rear chassis/bumper instead - we did a similar thing on an old coachbuilt we had so we were able to take a moped away with us, it just slotted into 2 hollow square lengths of tubing attached to the chassis (done by a professional engineer to my design) and was quick and easy to put on and take off.

As for the table leg in my picture ... it is for sale ... I'll drop you a PM! :D

Pity you don't have a tow bar. When we had a larger car, we had a towball on it. We purchased a large scissor like thing from Kevin Cooper. It would easily take two bikes and could be padlocked to the towball. It was about £25. Actually, if you attached a piece of wood to the top it would make a nice outside table. B-)

milkyway - 2012-10-25 11:32 AM

Thanks Colin, you have been busy, your van is just like ours only ours is gold. Glad it all fitted in.

The bike rack looks neat, did you have it done at the dealers or was it already on?

Do you think it will hold two electric bikes, 18. 5 kilo each?

Wondered if we should have something stronger fastened from the underneath of the van, like a mini trailer.

Will have to look at the prices.

Milkyway

Thats Mels van not ours, we to have a Golden white van

Archived