external windscreen blinds

wino

Can anyone give me any feedback on external windscreen blinds. We are looking at the thermal suction types and would appreciate any good points or bad. Ours is a Fiat Ducato. I have seen some really bad reviews of these and they are not cheap, but we have seen a lot of motorhomers with them. Help!!

wino - 2012-10-23 11:08 AMCan anyone give me any feedback on external windscreen blinds. We are looking at the thermal suction types and would appreciate any good points or bad. Ours is a Fiat Ducato. I have seen some really bad reviews of these and they are not cheap, but we have seen a lot of motorhomers with them. Help!!

Never seen 'external SUCTION blinds' only internal ones with suction caps to fit them.  External ones from Silverscreen are excellent.  We had internal ones supplied with our MH from new and they were rubbish.  We had real bad condensation with those and after some deliberation went for the 'original and best' external blinds from Silverscreens and have not regretted the outlay in any way whatsoever.

Other manufacturers are out there but we read some not so good reviews of those whilst everything we read about Silverscreens was positive.  They are not the cheapest by any means but they are excellent......highly recommended.

views seem to polarize around how you use your van.

If you park in dodgy places want to be able to make a fast exit, use internal ones.

If you camp on sites then external ones will do a better job.

Use the search facility and you'll see lots of views,

regards

alan b

We have a external Sliver screen,had it for 3 years excellent ,we brought the type that has a pull down front so you can see out during the day but leave it in place on the van.It keeps out the cold and heat and most of all the condensation.Early in year we did not put screen on just pulled the curtains and woke to find the screen covered in condensation.

We brought direct from Silver screen and they make for van specific,and it has a built in sleeves that fits over the doors,covering the cab side windows.

My Brother in law has had one for 9 years ,he lives in van 8 months of year so its is in constant use and rest of time its on his van in Spain in the sun ,just showing signs of ageing.

It comes with a bag ,when wet overnight we store in shower when on the ,if dry in over-cab.

I have 2 of the Silver Screen covers, 1 solid and 1 with the drop down panel.

Had them 8 years now and they are fine.

They do exactly what they say and virtually stop all the condensation on the

windscreen.

They also make a difference to the interior temperature.

One other little tip is to turn the air flow onto recirculate instead of from the

outside, because if you have a head wind when parked up this can make

a difference.

FRANKP60.......if ours is wet we turn it upside down and put the open end in

a bucket, then just empty the bucket later in the day, no mopping out.

Regards

Graham.

We have used Taylormade silver screens for a number of years and swear by them.

We first had them on a Fiat 2.8 When we changed m/home with a X250 front the screens were different and purchased a new set with "hedgehogs" Taylormade's answer to flapping bits ! These are magnetic clips that Velcro to the silver screen.

Long screens cover the air vents on the bonnet, and you can get a bonnet cover as a separate cover.

If we want light in the cab area we roll down the screen, and fold back and fix the velcro. Works in all but the windiest of weather.

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/

Rgds

We have both types. Used for eight years so far and apart from minor repairs to ex type still going strong. Bought 2nd hand very cheaply from previous owner of 'van.

Normally use the external as they are quicker to fit and keep the light out better in midsummer early mornings and suns heat in hot weather.

The internals usually get put on if its pouring with rain at dusk or very rarely if the location seems a bit iffy. In really cold weather both get used.

The ex type stop virtually all internal condensation as the glass is kept several degrees warmer and above the dew point.

Wet ex type get bagged and put in the shower until later in day.

If I had to chose it would be externals every time.

Agree with most of the above, external Silverscreens or Taylormade, have had both, found them equally good,

Just a tip though, our X250 Fiat has internal 'Remis cab screens', which are simply instead of curtains, they do NOT stop condensation as we found out. SO, bought a set of Silvescreens, they fit, but only just, as the 'Remis' frames make the cab door wider at the top. Still keep out all condensation and keep the cab warm. Ray

Rayjsj - 2012-10-26 4:42 PM

Agree with most of the above, external Silverscreens or Taylormade, have had both, found them equally good,

Just a tip though, our X250 Fiat has internal 'Remis cab screens', which are simply instead of curtains, they do NOT stop condensation as we found out. SO, bought a set of Silvescreens, they fit, but only just, as the 'Remis' frames make the cab door wider at the top. Still keep out all condensation and keep the cab warm. Ray

....if you make it clear at time of order, Silverscreens will provide a set with a wider over-door "pocket" to fit the (wider) remis blinds.

Robinhood - 2012-10-26 5:55 PM

Rayjsj - 2012-10-26 4:42 PM

....if you make it clear at time of order, Silverscreens will provide a set with a wider over-door "pocket" to fit the (wider) remis blinds.

Yes .... I have these & they are excellent. We have never had condensation when using them. Simple job to wipe them dry with an old towell before storing them.

Guest pelmetman

Our Silver Screen is over 20 years old and have the beige outside cover, which has over the last few years gained quite a few dark stains :-S

I'm considering buying a new one 8-).........................for aesthetic reasons ;-)

But I'm only considering :D

pelmetman - 2012-10-26 6:57 PM

Our Silver Screen is over 20 years old and have the beige outside cover, which has over the last few years gained quite a few dark stains :-S

I'm considering buying a new one 8-).........................for aesthetic reasons ;-)

But I'm only considering :D

Dave,

If it`s 20 years since you last bought one i think you might

need to re-mortgage to get a new one.......................LOL

A whiff of oxygen might help a little as well.

• 1 year later...
Hi there! I heard of customised cartoon blinds for children and I'm looking for some windscreen blinds for my little boy. I found an interesting description online some time ago: Jazz up your windows with the gaming giants of yesteryear! Choose between Pac-Man, Space Invaders and Super Mario 1UPs inspired designs. From a distance they look just like they're depicted in all their pixelated glory, but get up close and you'll see they're cunningly constructed from game controllers and classic handheld devices, paying homage to everything from Wii remotes to the mighty Game Gear., that really caught my eye and I would like something similar for my car. Do you have any idea where I can find something like this? Thank you a lot!

in short

these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORHOME-EXTERNAL-SILVER-INSULATION-SCREENS-/280791489787?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item41607a1cfb#ht_1420wt_814

brill, cover over the vents on bonnet, waterproof, no condensation, pull down to let light in during day, been tested for 2 year on the van, and just done xmas/new year in keswick and it rained!!!

jon

Archived