Exploding headlamps

100kilo

If you are concerned about the growing number of reports about exploding headlamps on Hymers or, like myself have already experienced the expense of replacing one – in my case £1010, you may be relieved to hear of the supplier of headlamp protectors.

They cost £75 plus p+p and are available from the maker, Trevor Smith, who has now given me permission to pass his details on. He can be contacted via MOB 07712472250 or email at s.jordansmith@btinternet.com

Have just fitted a pair (a really simple process) and now my 2011 B544 is protected against stone chips etc which is what Hymer claimed had smashed my lamp which strangely waited until I had been parked up for 30 hours before mysteriously exploding!!!!

Happy touring,

Janet and John

These have been ongoing for some time, with Hymer invariably blaming stone damage. I take it these are the toughened glass fronted "A" class headlamp units? A more likely explanation is nickel sulfide inclusions (impurities) in the glass, which set up stresses over time and cause the failure of many sheets of toughened glass in buildings. The old style toughened windscreens were also prone to this, but similarly invariably attributed to stone chips. Stone chips are a possibility, and so is a delayed reaction to one, but the presence of this impurity in glass is far more common that the glass manufacturers like to admit. In essence, it is an inherent problem of glass manufacture for which there is presently no practical cure. Since Hymer don't treat the problem as a warranty issue, it is improbable they have any data on frequency of occurrence. So, problem, what problem? Expensive hobby this, isn't it? :-S

Woke up this morning to our milkman telling me that my 'van' headlamp is broken.

I have a 2010 Hymer Exsis. When I went out to it the lamp looked like a windscreen that had been hit by a stone. It may be a stone chip or a glass fault but difficult to prove. My question is where do you buy the replacement ubits from? I bought my vehicle from Brownhills in Preston,now it is a trek to Newark,so who supplies them now? It is an easily available Hella unit?

Whatever happens I WILL be ordering the protectors. My question with these is does the manufacturer accept any responsibilty for this device,if the lens breaks?

I think if you look back on old threads these exploding headlights are NOT due to stone chips etc. They are headlights that are sub-standard and were fitted by Hymer who have acknowledged the fact and most have been replaced under warranty. I know as it happened to my headlight and after a bit of digging around I discovered some headlights were faulty and were replaced by Hymer. It was all down to a stress fracture, Check it out

Archived