Tour de France 2013 route announced

Tony Jones

Looks good - but starts with 3 days in Corsica so that part will probably only pull in local enthusiasts!

We've already booked our ferry outward for next year. Were planning to book our home leg for 9 July,, but seeing the bit of the Tour in Brittany & Normandy we might stretch it out another couple of days so we can see some of it.

Finish on the Champs Élysées will be in the evening, under floodlights, which makes a nice 100th celebration - celebrating also the post-Armstrong clean-up.

All we need now is for them to ban ALL ex(?)-dopeheads, including Contador, and we'll have the dream Tour!

This year we were on one of the stages for the 1st time and was totally blown away by the event the atmosphere parked up with other European Motorhomers was fantastic. With the BBQ's and flowing wine it was something I have never expierienced before whilst basically parked in a pull off by a main road in the motorhome , we had no idea of the carnival later to unfold. Hopefully we will be there again next year, but better prepared with our flags and bunting. " Must get a tin of paint and a small roller to decorate the road ".

Stage 18 looks interesting, twice up l'Alpe d' Huez. Wow The carnival atmosphere will be electric.

I recall watching the Alpe d'Huez stage, probably about 1984. We had camped in tents about 20 miles away and cycled to near the top of l'Alpe d'Huez.

The usual french farmers had staged a strike and blocked the route to protest about some EU policy.

This meant the race was way behind schedule and did not reach us to after 6:00pm. It was incredibly hot and sunny and by 5:00pm I started to feel faint- a sure sign of sun stroke. A kind Dutch family let me shelter in their motorhome. After half an hour and a dutch cuppa I was fine to enjoy the race. After that I was inspired to one day own a motorhome. At the Tour everyone is part of one big family.

Archived