Chausson 04 Solar Panel

whatsupdoc

Hi ips - Yes. we're looking forward to taking delivery.

We asked the dealer about fitting a 130w panel and they - I guess, not surprisingly - quoted the earth.

A lot of people have bought cheap ones and been very happy with them - but even buying a mid-priced one with a decent MPPT regulator would undercut their quote quite considerably.

It's "pre-wired" for a solar panel - so I'm guessing (hoping ...) that the wiring from the roof to where the regulator will sit, and from there to the battery is in place, so the fitting shouldn't be too expensive.

Please don't get on the roof just for our sake! I jusy thought someone with an 04 and panel might already know.

We had a solar panel on our 2010 Chausson Flash 04, it was an Alden 75w we'd got off Ebay for a song and had on a previous van which the dealer transferred to the Flash for us. I've had a look through my photos and below is the only one I can find that shows our roof.

You can just make out the various bits and pieces on the photo as follows:

Bottom left - roof light over bed

Centre across to right - that's the solar panel and you can just see the white Status directional aerial immediately in front it

Centre left - roof light over wash room (open)

Top right - roof flight over dinette

It might be better to wait until you get the van just in case the roof 'furniture' is placed differently and then you can measure up properly on your 2013 model. We could have had a larger panel on the Flash but as we already had the Alden we just used that and it was more than sufficient for our needs.

Our previous Rimor was pre-wired for a solar panel so all the wiring etc was already in place within the vehicle but from what I can remember it had to be fed outside through the roof to the panel itself, not sure if this will be the same on your Chausson though.

I can't tell if the 'new' ones come with an awning light but I suspect not so that's something else you need to think about. Our Flash had was wired for it from the block to the control panel and we just had to put the awning on and put the wire through and connect it up (once we'd found the right connection point!).

85196000_ChaussonFlash04roof.jpg.91bcdacdbfcad8ee1cce5ee83b6cd982.jpg

Mel B - 2012-10-25 2:11 PM

We had a solar panel on our 2010 Chausson Flash 04, it was an Alden 75w we'd got off Ebay for a song and had on a previous van which the dealer transferred to the Flash for us. I've had a look through my photos and below is the only one I can find that shows our roof.

You can just make out the various bits and pieces on the photo as follows:

Bottom left - roof light over bed

Centre across to right - that's the solar panel and you can just see the white Status directional aerial immediately in front it

Centre left - roof light over wash room (open)

Top right - roof flight over dinette

It might be better to wait until you get the van just in case the roof 'furniture' is placed differently and then you can measure up properly on your 2013 model. We could have had a larger panel on the Flash but as we already had the Alden we just used that and it was more than sufficient for our needs.

Our previous Rimor was pre-wired for a solar panel so all the wiring etc was already in place within the vehicle but from what I can remember it had to be fed outside through the roof to the panel itself, not sure if this will be the same on your Chausson though.

I can't tell if the 'new' ones come with an awning light but I suspect not so that's something else you need to think about. Our Flash had was wired for it from the block to the control panel and we just had to put the awning on and put the wire through and connect it up (once we'd found the right connection point!).

Thanks for the photo - that's very helpful. As you say, the spec may have changed, but it does look as though there'll be plenty of room -and anyway I can always mount two smaller ones.

I'm not sure about the wiring, but I will wait until the van arrived before doing anything. My main concern was to avoid paying the dealer a fortune if atall possible! They quoted for a 130w unit, so there must be (at least) enough room for that. I assume they're fairly standard sizes.

The Flash is also pre-wired for the awning light, so I guess we'll also have fun trying to find the right connection!

If it's anything like our '08 Chausson Allegro...it may be "pre-wired" for loads of stuff..

..but that's "pre-wired" as in a "...what are all these spare cables,plugs and sockets for..?" kind of way... (lol)

We've a bundle of assorted Chausson cables under our passenger seat..and we still don't know what they're for?... :-S (..although the plugs have got a TV/Audio look to 'em...).

Anyhow...Sparks don't come from 'em,which is a good thing... (lol)

. ..and what ever they're for,we've managed without it... ;-)

pepe63 - 2012-10-25 2:50 PM

If it's anything like our '08 Chausson Allegro...it may be "pre-wired" for loads of stuff..

..but that's "pre-wired" as in a "...what are all these spare cables,plugs and sockets for..?" kind of way... (lol)

We've a bundle of assorted Chausson cables under our passenger seat..and we still don't know what they're for?... :-S (..although the plugs have got a TV/Audio look to 'em...).

Anyhow...Sparks don't come from 'em,which is a good thing... (lol)

. ..and what ever they're for,we've managed without it... ;-)

Yeah ... seems like a lot of fun. I suppose that's why a lot of people leave fitting to the dealer. But it's an expensive option.

Hi

I installed an 80 watt unit on the roof of our flash 04 and providing the wiring is similar to ours i can help you with the cabling . On a basic level our panel is mounted above the lounge area next to the skylight. the cable runs through a hole through the roof leading to the void at the back of the grill and the regulator is mounted to the left hand side of the door. the output of the regulator will be connected to the terminal block at the back of the control panel above the door there is a thick 4-6mm red (on ours) cable that is not connected to anything this is the lead you want this is the positive lead to the battery via a relay and connect the negative from the regulator to the thick black cable. on the same block. A modification to the wiring is required at the relay box if you want the solar to charge the battery with the control panel switched off.

Dave

Dr Dave - 2012-10-25 3:45 PM

Hi

I installed an 80 watt unit on the roof of our flash 04 and providing the wiring is similar to ours i can help you with the cabling . On a basic level our panel is mounted above the lounge area next to the skylight. the cable runs through a hole through the roof leading to the void at the back of the grill and the regulator is mounted to the left hand side of the door. the output of the regulator will be connected to the terminal block at the back of the control panel above the door there is a thick 4-6mm red (on ours) cable that is not connected to anything this is the lead you want this is the positive lead to the battery via a relay and connect the negative from the regulator to the thick black cable. on the same block. A modification to the wiring is required at the relay box if you want the solar to charge the battery with the control panel switched off.

Dave

Thanks very much Dave - really useful info, as wiring can be a nightmare.

I guess there was adequate spece on the roof, as I would like to install a slightly larger panel.

Do you have 2 leisure batteries? If so is there space for the second next to the first?

whatsupdoc - 2012-10-25 5:36 PM

Hi

Dave

I guess there was adequate space on the roof, as I would like to install a slightly larger panel.

Do you have 2 leisure batteries? If so is there space for the second next to the first?

Yes the leisure battery is under the passenger seat but if you get one of similar dimensions and fabricate your own bracket to secure them you can fit another one at the side of the original but its a bit snug. we have the original 85ah and an additional 90ah and with these we have managed off hook up for a week in the autumn without the need to recharge even with the diesel heater. I suspect a slightly larger panel will fit o/k as the roof has two quite large areas of free space. however do remember you will need additional space if you fit an aerial or a satellite dish.

Dave

Dr Dave - 2012-10-25 6:20 PM

whatsupdoc - 2012-10-25 5:36 PM

Hi

Dave

I guess there was adequate space on the roof, as I would like to install a slightly larger panel.

Yes the leisure battery is under the passenger seat but if you get one of similar dimensions and fabricate your own bracket to secure them you can fit another one at the side of the original but its a bit snug. we have the original 85ah and an additional 90ah and with these we have managed off hook up for a week in the autumn without the need to recharge even with the diesel heater. I suspect a slightly larger panel will fit o/k as the roof has two quite large areas of free space. however do remember you will need additional space if you fit an aerial or a satellite dish.

Dave

That all sounds good ...

We will be fitting an aerial, but not a dish so, hopefully, there will be space for the larger panel.

whatsupdoc - 2012-10-25 12:35 PM

We asked the dealer about fitting a 130w panel and they - I guess, not surprisingly - quoted the earth.

A lot of people have bought cheap ones and been very happy with them - but even buying a mid-priced one with a decent MPPT regulator would undercut their quote quite considerably.

It's "pre-wired" for a solar panel - so I'm guessing (hoping ...) that the wiring from the roof to where the regulator will sit, and from there to the battery is in place, so the fitting shouldn't be too expensive.

Please don't get on the roof just for our sake! I jusy thought someone with an 04 and panel might already know.

Bit late for you I know, but when negotiating purchase of van IME you can get good deals on fitting items such as this.

colin - 2012-10-25 7:07 PM

whatsupdoc - 2012-10-25 12:35 PM

Bit late for you I know, but when negotiating purchase of van IME you can get good deals on fitting items such as this.

Yes - we got a very good deal on the van itself, but they wouldn't move on this. Not sure why (quoting "high overheads"). Swings & roundabouts, I guess.

Archived