Ducato wheel wobble when turning right

enodreven

Hi,

I have 4000kg Ducato based motorhome, and just recently it has developed a wobble through the steering wheel and a bump bump bump sensation when taking a right hand bend, and sometimes when going around a roundabout.

It doesn't happen all the time and I can't really tell under exactly what conditions make the wobble, but I think it is when its under some power rather than just rolling, hope that makes sense.

It has just gone through its MOT and they couldn't find anything wrong,

I have rechecked the bottom swivels they appear fine,

The track-rod ends appear fine,

There are no signs of wear on the drive shaft gaters.

There is no play in any direction from the wheel bearings

There is no undue noise from the wheel bearings

I had the front wheels re balanced

I can go on full lock in either direction in a supermarket car park and there is no noise from the drive shafts.

I am at a complete loss, any suggestion would really be welcome.

It has the feeling similar to when you get a puncture and the tyre is nearly flat and it wants to come off the wheel, a bump bump bump type feeling.

Thanks

That certainly sounds like C/V joint wear. I nearly bought a car a couple of weeks ago with the same problem. Told the dealer and he said he would fix it. He rang me next day and said it was the rear box on the exhaust had a bracket broken and it was rubbing on the body. Of course I didn't believe him and gave it a miss. He'd probably fully packed the gaiter for the c/v joint with grease to mask the sound. So now some unsuspecting person is going to buy that lemon, and it will certainly leave a bad taste in their mouth.

Check the tyres for bulges especialy the sidewall and and inside and outside shoulder of the tread. Ideally jack the wheel just clear of the ground and rotate slowly with a fixed point close to the tyre to check any lack of roundness.

I would have expected a worn CV joint to have showed up when on full lock in the car park.

George Collings - 2012-10-26 6:03 PM

Check the tyres for bulges especialy the sidewall and and inside and outside shoulder of the tread. Ideally jack the wheel just clear of the ground and rotate slowly with a fixed point close to the tyre to check any lack of roundness.

I would have expected a worn CV joint to have showed up when on full lock in the car park.

You say it happens on a RH bend - then concentrate on checking the inside shoulder & wall of offside tyre, and outside shoulder & wall of nearside tyre. This is where the load will fall on RH corners. I had similar sensation on a car & found it to have a pronounced lump on one area of flat/shoulder which we couldn't see until she was jacked up as in George's suggestion above.

Hi Brian,

It `s only a thought, but if you can swop the front wheels over and it

still does it then at least you can rule out it being one of the wheels

or tyres.

If it stops then i`d be looking at the wheel that was originally on the

nearside and is now on the offside.

Like i say it`s only a thought ,as elimination might be the only way.

Regards.

Graham.

If you happen to have a bolt head protruding from the tread it makes a hell of a thumping noise. And if it's on the outside, or inside, it could relate to the noise on turning.

The suggestion on changing the tyre is a good one. Just pop the spare on, if you have one, it's worth a try.

I would also inspect the tread in case you have a flat spot somewhere.

H

enodreven - 2012-10-27 12:40 PM

I hope you haven't been looking (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Mel B - 2012-10-26 11:34 PM

How can I say this 'delicately' ... errrrr .... are your nuts tight? 8-)

No fear ... and I certainly am NOT touching them to check either!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Archived