Halagen Heater

Mike B.

peter - 2012-10-29 7:36 PM

If you use a halogen heater in your van at night you will not be able to get to sleep owing to the light they give out.

Despite what someone has said , halogen heater do heat the space and not objects. I know this, as we have one that my wife uses to heat her office. It has a tip over switch on the bottom which cuts the power if it gets knocked over. The case is made of plastic and never even gets warm. You can put your hand in front of it and it will not burn you.

You're like crime in a multi storey car park....wrong on so many levels

Regards

Someone

Tracker - 2012-10-28 6:00 PM

Nearly right except that water flow will not help your currants nor will it help your sultanas as they are no longer live having been neutralised when they were separated from the earth..

Watt amperns if Mike is on a site that is reverse pomegranates ?

Is it the same juice flowing through it?

Dave

T8LEY - 2012-10-29 8:01 PM

If you use a halogen heater in your van at night you will not be able to get to sleep owing to the light they give out.

Despite what someone has said , halogen heater do heat the space and not objects. I know this, as we have one that my wife uses to heat her office. It has a tip over switch on the bottom which cuts the power if it gets knocked over. The case is made of plastic and never even gets warm. You can put your hand in front of it and it will not burn you.

Regards

Someone

Enlighten me then, instead of making smartarse comments.

nowtelse2do - 2012-10-29 8:42 PM

Tracker - 2012-10-28 6:00 PM

Nearly right except that water flow will not help your currants nor will it help your sultanas as they are no longer live having been neutralised when they were separated from the earth..

Watt amperns if Mike is on a site that is reverse pomegranates ?

Is it the same juice flowing through it?

Dave

It's the same juice, but you have to feed the pomegranates in from the van end instead of at the site supply end.

Mike B. - 2012-10-28 5:56 PM

Thanks for the replies

What I wanted to know in a nutshell was if I bought a small halogen heater (the one I've found is 400watt or 800watt by switch) and put it on in the van at night in Spain would it use masses of power. Working on 400 watts =.4kw per hour, then I could run it in the evening for a couple of hours easily without going over the site limit or tripping the EHU out.

The idea was to do this and save my gas for cooking etc which should then last the full trip.

I have stored Trackers formula now so I won't ask the same questions in future anymore! :-D

Once again-thanks for the help-very much appreciated

Mike

Hmmmmmm! To much intellectual banter, methinks! :-) Mike, you only risk tripping the hook-up if you take more power (Amps) than the supply is designed to supply. If you take the heater at its worst case, the 800W setting, it will consume about 3.5A. If that is below the site hook up rating, you can go on drawing that much power 24/7 without any problem.

However, everything else that consumes power will add to that 3.5A. What you really need to know is the rating of the power supply, and the ratings of all your appliances. Then, it is only a matter of keeping the total below the site supply threshold. Most items will fluctuate. The fridge will go on and off, as will the heater and battery charger, so in practical terms your peak load will fluctuate a bit. However, providing the total load connected and switched on at any one time never exceeds the supply threshold, the fluctuations will always reduce consumption, so you'll be fine. It is only if you exceed the threshold that the breaker will trip.

It is only if your site supply is metered, that the Kilowatt hours become more important, as the longer the heater runs, the more you will pay.

I'd guess you should get around 10A (2.3kW), maybe more, for winter use. Not huge, but manageable with care, though you may need to unplug some items if plugging others in.

peter - 2012-10-29 11:24 PM

T8LEY - 2012-10-29 8:01 PM

Regards

Someone

Enlighten me then, instead of making smartarse comments.

Sorry Peter, I was lulled into it with the lighter tone of the thread and I think the OP had had enough. Anyway, just for you:

Halogen heaters give off radiant heat, so if you are sitting close enough to them you will feel the heat immediately, even if the room itself is cold. With a radiator the room air temperature has to be increased to appreciate the effect.

The disadvantage of halogen heaters is that they can burn things that get too close to the front grill so are not suitable for unattended use.

Because a halogen heater uses light it needs an efficient reflector to focus its product forwards and, consequently, produces no heat where the light doesn't shine (backwards).

Archived