Italy for the Winter.

Iain Strachan

Guest JudgeMental

It was 27 deg C on Lake Garda last weekend, as we have friends who live there and they where out boating and looking forward to dinner in Salo that evening *-)

for comparable weather to Alicante its Sicily I believe...best way, ferry from Genoa as not a great drive south as roads get worse as you head south

Check first how many sites are open. We were in Italy this Autumn and by early October were struggling to find sites open that didn't want an arm and a leg for the privelege of staying there also bear in mind the fuel is EXPENSIVE

JudgeMental - 2012-10-29 5:36 PM

It was 27 deg C on Lake Garda last weekend, as we have friends who live there and they where out boating and looking forward to dinner in Salo that evening *-)

for comparable weather to Alicante its Sicily I believe...best way, ferry from Genoa as not a great drive south as roads get worse as you head south[/quote

Today the forecast is max 8 min 1 and Tuesday max 9 min 5. Having said that if you are going in the winter the site in the link below is open all year with good, heated facilities. The pitches are terraced with views of their “Ayers Rock" quite spectacular but I must warn to allow plenty of time to check in as you will be given a complete history of the area in perfect English and enough handouts to fill a library, again moslty in English. When we visited the site it was in the ACSI discount book.

http://www.campinglefonti.com/Inglese/price08.htm

Probably this is the only site out of 12 we stayed on that I would visit again

We were in Italy in Febuary this year with the idea of touring down to the South.We got as far as Roma to be greeted with the first snow the city had had in 28 years.!

Just getting to Roma was a challenge of finding sites open, we had done our homework and taken plenty of site books, but found opening dates printed in the site books were not all accurate and found sites closed when they were printed as being open.

Facilitys on sites that were open were very limited

Wild camping is not encouraged in Italy so you must be certain your next site is open. Our advice is to phone ahead.

We didnt go any further South, we decided it just wasnt worth the expense of fuel etc, to be so limited in areas we could stay.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-29 5:36 PM

for comparable weather to Alicante its Sicily I believe...best way, ferry from Genoa as not a great drive south as roads get worse as you head south

Yep, and on Monday 15 October, when we were "doing" the Reschen and Fern passes over the Alps in Austria, it was snowing, and the trees was awful pretty!

Also, we have visited the Abruzzo in late April, to find the it cold and damp, with snow on the Apennines only a few hundred feet above where we camped.

So, probably the west coast is the best route down, if you decide to drive, as I believe the east (Adriatic) side is generally colder.

As to latitude, Syracuse is a shade further north than Almeria, so I'd think in terms of Sicily, or maybe the tip of Calabria, which is a rather long drive, and you have to cross the Alps, or go round via Ventimiligia. The main passes will be maintained open but, if the winter turns out as forecast, potentially difficult (chains essential, I think), possibly slow, cold, and the roads very salty.

The wild route would be ferry from Marseilles to Corsica, then ferry to Sardinia, then ferry to Sicily. However, just in case you were unaware, the Med in winter is not the millpond it is in summer, and can cut up really rough! Good luck whatever you decide.

Guest JudgeMental
Iain Strachan - 2012-10-30 11:03 AM

Thanks all, for info so far, it will help us make an informed decision.

Another log on the fire, that's what I need.

Cheers Iain

all that heat wasted and flying out the chimney..buy a wood burning stove :-D

Guest JudgeMental
you think? was made homeless long ago because of an open fire destroying a shared house..Once was was enough. Much prefer watching the flames behind a glass door :-D

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2012-10-30 6:50 PM

you think? was made homeless long ago because of an open fire destroying a shared house..Once was was enough. Much prefer watching the flames behind a glass door :-D

I ws in the pub having a decent drink with friends, and someone ran in and said JUDGE! your house is alight!..I laughed, Ha Ha Ha...and did not believe at first....only to walk around corner to see 6 foot flames issuing from upstairs window and lots of fireman squirting water in,it was like a dream,... surreal.....

Happy days :D

Archived