Hobby overcab rooflights.

Brian Kirby

• 4 weeks later...

Re the above, I PM'd all who responded to my original post, with the story of our part de-bonded rooflight - since removed and re-bonded.

I have just heard from one respondent that, on examination, his rooflight had also de-bonded, and is now to be repaired.

To clarify, these are the fixed, glazed, rooflights in the over-cab fairing. His dealer advised he has experienced several that have failed, one of which broke free while the van was under way!

He attributed the failure to poor preparation of the surfaces before bonding in the glazed panel. That was also the verdict on ours. It seems this may not be as rare as I had been led to believe. You have been warned! :-|

To clarify, the rooflight Brian is referring to is made by a Luxembourg-based company called "Para Press"

http://www.parapress.lu/

Brian's motorhome is a Hobby, as is the the caravan shown on the Para Press website, but it's quite likely that the company provides windows/plastic products to other leisure-vehicle manufacturers. A plastic window is a plastic window, so Para Press windows could be on caravans, PVC or coachbuilt motorhomes.

I'd guess that Para Press windows would more likely be found on Continental European-built leisure-vehicles than on UK-built ones and, if the windows are an unusual shape/design, that would also increase the likelihood they are Para Press products.

Unfortunately, Derek, the Para-Press product was the washroom rooflight. :-)

The over-cab rooflight is actually a Polyplastic product, comprising a toughened glass outer sheet with a ceramic frit diffusing pattern on its inner surface, to which is bonded a profiled acrylic inner sheet to form a glass/acrylic sealed double glazed unit, similar to domestic (glass/glass) or caravan (acrylic/acrylic) DG units, except for the mixed glazing materials. The combined unit is then bonded (or not! :-|) onto the GRP over-cab "profile" fairing, in the same way that car etc windscreens are bonded, using a similar adhesive. This rooflight is above the driver's and passenger's seats, and is fixed (i.e. non-opening).

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2012-11-27 3:34 PM

Haven't come across one of those, Eddie, where are they made?

Et tu, Brute! So you have joined the spellin police! It..its...like a stab in the heart! :-S

Archived