Hobby Van "wobbly" table

Robinhood

.....should probably be in "hints and tips" but as this forum section gets more viewing, here goes.

I noted a recent review highlighted the issue of the less than secure table fitting in the Hobby Van, a problem that ours has suffered from new, (though it seems to have got slightly worse as the "clips" have loosened somewhat).

The problem arises from the use of deep windows, limiting the wall-mounted "table bar" to a length much less than the width of the table, and also necessitating the mounts being very much to one end of the table width.

When mounted, ours wobbled quite a bit in use, and there was definitely play between the wall-bar and the clips.

I've resolved the issue very satisfactorily by tightly laying a double layer length of duck-tape along the length of the metal part of the wall bar, effectively increasing the "diameter" of the part the clips fit on to.

This is non-destructive (the tape will simply remove from the metal if required), it is easy to make a neat job of (silver duck-tape is probably best), and in use, the bar is pretty well hidden by the table anyway.

A simple "mod" that has made a big difference - owners of similar vans may wish to try it.

pepe63 - 2012-10-31 12:40 PM

..steady on there Robinh'...it sounds as if you've been reading too many of Mel B's posts...... (lol)

..before you know it,it'll be stick-on hooks,purple seat covers and a green carpet ..... (lol)

(..sorry Mel :$ ;-) )

.....did I not mention that I also installed a jacuzzi (fashioned from sticky-backed plastic) in the garage. ;-)

Robinhood - 2012-10-31 12:48 PM

pepe63 - 2012-10-31 12:40 PM

..steady on there Robinh'...it sounds as if you've been reading too many of Mel B's posts...... (lol)

..before you know it,it'll be stick-on hooks,purple seat covers and a green carpet ..... (lol)

(..sorry Mel :$ ;-) )

.....did I not mention that I also installed a jacuzzi (fashioned from sticky-backed plastic) in the garage. ;-)

Well at least some people are reading my posts! :-D

You stalking me pepe??? :$

Colin Leake - 2012-10-31 7:23 PM

A wobbly table on a quality German motorhome. Well I'll be blowed who would have thought it

.....oh, but I wish that the issues I'd had with my previous 8 'vans (5 British, 1 Spanish, and one French) had been confined to a (mildly ;-) ) wobbly table (......and that all the issues could be fixed with two short lengths of duck-tape).

.....though I believe there are some people who maintain that ALL problems can be solved in such a manner (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-10-31 7:57 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-10-31 7:23 PM

A wobbly table on a quality German motorhome. Well I'll be blowed who would have thought it

.....oh, but I wish that the issues I'd had with my previous 8 'vans (5 British, 1 Spanish, and one French) had been confined to a (mildly ;-) ) wobbly table (......and that all the issues could be fixed with two short lengths of duck-tape).

.....though I believe there are some people who maintain that ALL problems can be solved in such a manner (lol)

Cor 9 vans 8-)..............in how many years Robin? ;-)

Haven’t had a problem with that.. yet.. but then I have “prettified “ the van with lots of Cath Kidston fabric tablecloths and place mats and so on…. I think the table has been tamed under the layers of ever-so-attractive fabric…

But we will watch out for that. Thanks for the tip.

[And yet another use for duct tape - the silver variety is also excellent for the removal of verrucas!]

Referring back to technical stuff.. O/H says that we’ve had a problem with “the nut-in elbow stem connecting to they filter of the pump”… just passing that on as something to watch out for [he’s fixed it, apparently, so he tells me] but I speak better Welsh than “techno”…. so don’t understand much of that!!

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-10-31 9:19 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-31 8:31 PM

.....considerably longer than you've had Horace!

(...and grown and shrunk in line with size of (at home) family).

You must be older than you look Robin ;-)....... :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-10-31 11:27 PM

Gwendolyn - 2012-10-31 9:03 PM

And yet another use for duct tape - the silver variety is also excellent for the removal of verrucas!

That's a new one on me!!! Not sure I want to know HOW you found that out though! 8-)

It's also very cheap way of giving one a Brazilian 8-) 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-11-01 9:09 AM

Robinhood - 2012-10-31 9:19 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-31 8:31 PM

.....considerably longer than you've had Horace!

(...and grown and shrunk in line with size of (at home) family).

You must be older than you look Robin ;-)....... :D

.....oh, I am!

...which is why I sometimes embarrassingly get mistaken for someone else when I'm out and about in my Lincoln Green. ;-)

RHPP.jpg.121595d077d90c1a292210bac7bd86cb.jpg

pelmetman - 2012-11-01 9:13 AM

And yet another use for duct tape - the silver variety is also excellent for the removal of verrucas!

That's a new one on me!!! Not sure I want to know HOW you found that out though! 8-)

What's a Brazilian?

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2012-11-01 7:16 PM

pelmetman - 2012-11-01 9:13 AM

What's a Brazilian?

It's way of making cheap toupees from unwanted hair :D..................

Looks better if your own hair is curly though ;-)...........

It's apparently a well-know treatment that goes back a number of years (GOOGLE on "duct tape verruca").

The BUPA warts/verrucas webpage

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/w/warts-and-verrucas

says

"Self-help

Although there isn’t much evidence to show that it works, you may wish to try placing duct tape over your wart as a way of getting rid of it. Cover the wart with duct tape for six days, then soak the wart in water and rub with an emery board or pumice stone to scrape off the dead skin. Keep the wart uncovered overnight and re-apply duct tape the next day. You may need to continue this cycle of treatment for up to two months before the wart disappears."

Its a case of form over function. The deep side window may look nice but the result is the reduced length of mounting rail for the table. A stupid arrangement I think. I have repositioned the mounting clips on my Hobby Van table to get the maximum distance between them. This means that there is no fore and aft adjustment for the table, but I found it was not needed. Repositioning the mounting clips does significantly reduce the wobbles, and I've also put a piece of silver duck tape on the support rail at the point where the clip attaches.

Richard.

Guest pelmetman

We have the old style hole in the floor socket with a leg and the table top with the corresponding socket ;-).....................apparently I'm supposed to put it away every time we set off 8-)..............But I found that a bowl of fruit on top holds it in place B-)

PS for safety ;-) .............I do use a non slip mat :D

Archived