Tin Food

Noodles

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone keep tinned food in the cupboards of their motorhomes during the winter ? As far as I'm aware our motorhome is winterised.

Motorhome came home last w/end after its 3rd holiday at the dealers and I wanted to keep the tinned food in plastic boxes but hubby said they should be ok in the cupboards, my mum on the other hand, caravan owner 8o| says that the tins could explode if they get too cold. We do intend to keep using our motorhome throughout the winter only at w/ends.

PS I may not post much on this forum but I'm addicted cos have to read the posts everyday even at work I sneak a peak ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

on line activity in workplace normally monitored......you are probably on THE list, and house bugged also 8-)

winterisatuon only works when van being used - heated?...more chance of winning lottery then tins exploding

cant see tins exploding but we had left a few wine bottles in the cupboards and with the cold weather last week there was alot of condensation on them and the bottoms of the cupboards were wet. have decided just to put all items such as these in a large sealable box from B&Q and leave in the garage for a quick load up should weather be good and we can get away at weekends over the colder months in the snow

Ha I have an IPad problem solved, sits on my knee under my desk nicely :-D

Apparently my neighbour belongs to MI5 so it's a possibility. B####r best check under the MH next time we drive off he may have put a tracking device on it !

Oh do you mean I've been wasting my time buy lottery tickets ! 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-10-31 4:21 PMWe have always left the van fully stocked with tinned food ;-)................I reckon it would have to get very very cold to explode 8-)I seem to recall they found tinned food at Scot's South Pole base camp in edible condition :DYep thought so ;-)http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18868354

Yes but be very careful - these tins were sealed with lead solder & I think it was Shackletons lot all went mad! Have you been eating from old tins?

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2012-10-31 4:42 PM
pelmetman - 2012-10-31 4:21 PMWe have always left the van fully stocked with tinned food ;-)................I reckon it would have to get very very cold to explode 8-)I seem to recall they found tinned food at Scot's South Pole base camp in edible condition :DYep thought so ;-)http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18868354

Yes but be very careful - these tins were sealed with lead solder & I think it was Shackletons lot all went mad! Have you been eating from old tins?
Me mad 8-).................But those old tins have done wonders for my pencil :D

Simple answer is......YES.

We never " Unload , Strip-out or Empty " our van out through winter.

We keep the EHU lead connected to the van and ready to flick the switch in the garage.

In the van we have one of the smaller oil filled radiators...Argos..£19.99 on offer when

we bought it.

It`s only 500W and we set the thermostat just so you can feel the difference when you go

in the van.

It`s normally on about 1 or 2 on the dial but we adjust accordingly.

We have it on the floor in the middle of the van and then open all the cupboards and

drawers and don`t forget the wardrobe in you have any clothes in it.

Never had a problem, even a couple of years back when it dipped own to -15C around

here, we just turned it up a bit.

Regards.

Graham.

Wooie - 2012-10-31 6:04 PM.........................

We have it on the floor in the middle of the van and then open all the cupboards and

drawers and don`t forget the wardrobe in you have any clothes in it.............................Graham.

Do we reall need this kind of personal detail, I ask? What is it about the wardrobe, does it like watching? Really! :-D

The really bad winter (one before last I think) we had a bottle of Gaviscon which I left in the van go bust, it must have froze and bust the bottle ,luckily I found it when it was still in its frozen state so no real mess ,so now remove all food stuff from the van be it tinned or otherwise, we store it in a large Plastic box in one of the spare bedrooms, it also gives us a chance to stock rotate.

Not due to freezing but some 50 odd years ago we had a lady in one of our hire caravans put a tin of treacle pudding in the oven unopened. It exploded in spectacular fashion taking the oven with it. She was a regular customer who came for a fortnight holiday every year. I forget her name but from that time on she was always referred to as the treacle pudding lady and we never let her forget the incident!

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-31 6:41 PM

drawers and don`t forget the wardrobe in you have any clothes in it.............................Graham.

Do we reall need this kind of personal detail, I ask? What is it about the wardrobe, does it like watching? Really! :-D

I hope they put a few cushions on the floor first Brian. It;s a good way of stopping the van rocking though. :$ :$ (lol)

peter - 2012-10-31 7:50 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-31 6:41 PM

I hope they put a few cushions on the floor first Brian. It;s a good way of stopping the van rocking though. :$ :$ (lol)

The more the van rocks, the more friction occurs and hence more heat !!!!!!!!

More heat stops everything freezing and seizing up !

So there.

We keep our van fully stocked at all times and it is always ready to roll, this time of year  we leave all cupboards open, that way the temperature is pretty even throughout the van ,this keeps condensation to a minimum, as  moisture will form on cold items, especially bottles when brought out of a cold cupboard into a warm area,we have never had any problems with freezing tins or anything else for that matter, watch your tins of food don't get out of date though.

Hi Noodles - looks like you've got the measure of Judgemental already ... well done!!! :->

We normally leave our van stocked with tins etc, however, I have had a bottle of lemonade 'expand' quite a lot as it froze during last winter when we had the really, really cold weather (hubby found it fortunately!) so we tend to remove stuff like that, along with olive oil which goes yucky into solid lumps when it gets cold (still usable though if you can get it out of the bottle 8-) ).

What we do tend to do regularly is check the dates on the tins when re-stocking the van to make sure nothing is going out of date and wants scoffing. :D It is also wise to remove any dried food stuffs as they tend to absorb the moisture. If the van isn't going to be used for a while I'll remove tea bags etc so that when we do go out again, I can restock it with fresh stuff.

Hi Mel,

Hope ur ok. At this very moment at work typing away underneath the desk.....on my own with no one else ....life can be so boring at work sometimes :-D...compiling a shopping list on my mobile for MH and there's plenty of TIN FOOD on the list

OMG it's so cold sitting in this office with no heating except for an oil filled rad to keep me warm.....although we also have 47 kg calor gas bottle for space heater else where may have that later for MH that will keep me and hubby toasty as travel around for a year on Lotto Win ;-)

Archived