First all-carbon solar cell

CliveH

Stanford scientists build the first all-carbon solar cell

US Researchers have developed a solar cell made entirely of carbon, an inexpensive substitute for the pricey materials used in conventional solar panels.

Stanford Professor Zhenan Bao talks about the carbon solar cell research.

Stanford University scientists have built the first solar cell made entirely of carbon, a promising alternative to the expensive materials used in photovoltaic devices today. The results are published in today's online edition of the journal ACS Nano.

"Carbon has the potential to deliver high performance at a low cost," said study senior author Zhenan Bao, a professor of chemical engineering at Stanford. "To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of a working solar cell that has all of the components made of carbon. This study builds on previous work done in our lab."

Unlike rigid silicon solar panels that adorn many rooftops, Stanford's thin film prototype is made of carbon materials that can be coated from solution. "Perhaps in the future we can look at alternative markets where flexible carbon solar cells are coated on the surface of buildings, on windows or on cars to generate electricity," Bao said.

Great if this works

It should mean that Solar Panels will be far far cheaper as well as easily formed into Car Roof panels and roof tiles etc.

Because the link I initially got the info from is behind a paywall.

But there is one from Stanford itself

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/october/carbon-solar-cell-103112.html

As for giving all the good news and none of the bad - have you any idea on what the efficiency of the first Silicon based solar panels was?

At an equivalent stage of development - 1% is not bad.

And I did add the caveat " If this works"

Apart from that - I always have been a "Glass half full kinda bloke". What is particularly intriguing about Carbon based cells is that they could (as I understand it) be sprayable - so you may be able to have your house - roof and all sprayed with a coating that not only protects it against the weather but you may be able to connect up this coating to give you a power source.

Sorry you seem to see and want to dwell on the negatives - I suspect the covering will flake off - so that should make you happy.

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived