Dartford crossing tolls

Colin Leake

Just seen on the news they are planning to do away with the toll booths to reduce congestion. Good idea so far but it seems they are going to go for some form of not very well thought out electroninc charging. To pay for the technology they are going to increase the charge for cars and motorhomes to £2.50

Just an idea on my part you understand but why not do away with the booths and make the crossing free thus iliminating the need to pay for the technology that would not be needed.

To simple for the brains in charge no doubt.

But if the cost of the equipment etc is only £1 of the £2.50, they would of course make a whole lot more from trucks etc which use the crossing ... it isn't about 'break-even', it's about ensuring they still have the dosh rolling in but make it better for those using it (and it is a pain in the bum!).

I no longer use it. When going down I use M6, M5, M40, M25 Southern Section, timing it not to be in any of the rush hours, M20. Gallon and a half more but not stuck from the M11 to the crossing and anything from 1 hr to 2hr crawl.

Maybe just lucky but I've not been held up yet for the last 3 trips down there.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
my wife spent about 2 hrs in que today going south to north through tunnel ( no delays on bridge coming back) I am sure she would be happy to pay an extra 50p *-)

Mikey - 2012-11-01 9:27 PM

The tolls in Scotland were removed a few years ago. Why have they not been able to do the same over the rest of the UK?

Becase the Scots have the advantage of the 'Barnet' formula which means we English pay them for giving things free, i.e. road tolls, hospital car parking, uni grants etc. :-D

Unfortunately we live in Kent so for many journeys we have little alternative but to use the darn thing. Having said that there are many bad spots on the M25. When we go to Wales we go the other way round. Junction 5, Clackets Service Area and junction 10 are all often blocked. We have on occasion set off for the M4 and it has taken more than two hours to reach junction 11 on the M25.

When we visit one of our sons in Gulidford we sometimes miss the M25 out and go by the back roads. Problem is that when there's trouble on the M25 a lot of people do the same and then those little roads get jammed up as well.

Mike Parke - 2012-11-02 6:38 PM

Mikey - 2012-11-01 9:27 PM

The tolls in Scotland were removed a few years ago. Why have they not been able to do the same over the rest of the UK?

Becase the Scots have the advantage of the 'Barnet' formula which means we English pay them for giving things free, i.e. road tolls, hospital car parking, uni grants etc. :-D

Here we go again. I must really pop down in the Rolls to the Post office to collect my extra money that those nice English have given me, and then off t to the pub and bookies to blow it all. All that money must be going somewhere. If it is the land of milk and honey then by all means come up here.................if you can afford it.

Archiesgrandad - 2012-11-02 7:35 PM

When the decision was taken to remove the tolls we had a labour government that thought that they should be nice to the Scots, not sure why.

Just a thought, shouldn't the whole of the UK get the chance to vote on Scottish independence, and the terms of their future relationship with us?

AGD

The tolls were removed by the SNP government elected up here, it had nothing to do with Westminster as Blair had devolved those powers. By the way you cannot vote for the independence of a country you are not part of. Are you going to vote in the Polish election next yet much of your money is given to them.

The actual reason for removal was that the tolls were introduced to pay for the damn things and once paid off, were strictly illegal. They then became merely taxes and cost as much to collect as they raised. It was a 'no brainer'.

Archiesgrandad - 2012-11-02 7:35 PM

When the decision was taken to remove the tolls we had a labour government that thought that they should be nice to the Scots, not sure why.

Just a thought, shouldn't the whole of the UK get the chance to vote on Scottish independence, and the terms of their future relationship with us?

AGD

Simples - Gordon Brown was Chancellor & Prime Minister in waiting >:-(

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2012-11-02 10:47 PM

Travel at night & the Dartford Tunnel is Free between 10pm & 6am.

Guess when they introduce the new technology they will dispense with this ?

So cynical for one so young! :D

Hi All,

Really do not understand the need for tolls as however yo pay -booths or electronic unmanned- you just end up with queues. Having said that ,whilst they are charging I would never dream of driving extra mileage to avoid paying the toll. Next thing some people on her will want to camp where they do not have to pay site fees.

just stepping back from the fire

cheers

derek

Archiesgrandad - 2012-11-03 7:35 PM

As I understand it England and Scotland are both parts of the United Kingdom of which I am a citizen, and for the time being so are you, the discussion is about whether one small part should be allowed to go their own way, good luck, I can understand why the Scots wouldn't want us to vote.

AGD

Have they moved the border own to Dartford now, must have missed that 8-)

Dave

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2012-11-03 8:09 PM

Yes they did say that but the didn't mean it!

You don't mean.......... 8-) .............they lied to us 8-)...........

Where's ruddy Guy Fawkes when you need him? *-)

When we were working we used to travel down to Dover/Folkestone on Friday afternoon and hit all the lovely Dartford traffic at rush hour, not to mention all the traffic on the motorways etc on our way, needless to say it usually took about 6 hours (excluding rest stops) to get there ... if we were lucky!

However, when hubby left I was able to jiggle my afternoons off so I could get away on a Thursday or even Wednesday and what a difference that made - we made it down to Euro Tunnel in less than 5 hours!!! And this year we went actually went down on a Saturday, leaving home at 10.45 am and did the journey, (excluding stopping for a 30 min lunch) in 4 hours and 40 mins! 8-)

Timing when to travel really does make a heck of a difference both in time and in fuel used.

pelmetman - 2012-11-03 8:18 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-11-03 8:09 PM

Yes they did say that but the didn't mean it!

You don't mean.......... 8-) .............they lied to us 8-)...........

Where's ruddy Guy Fawkes when you need him? *-)

It's OK they had their fingers crossed behind their back when they said it!

Archived