All booked for next summer!!

Tony Jones

LD Lines are now taking bookings for summer 2013, and they give 20% off for over-60s!.

We'd already booked our outward crossing, since we'd decided (just for once) to use the Bilbao route with Brit Ferries. Plan is to meet up with several people in Spain, then meander back through France.

Since seeing the Tour de France route, we adjusted our return date so we can watch the stage to St Malo.

I didn't really want to trundle all the way up to Calais, so I've been checking LD's website regularly to book our home leg.

Today it had times and prices for July, and by phoning their freephone I got the 20% discount. So our home leg will cost £72.

Now we can relax, except we have to do some serious saving!

I booked our Euro Tunnel in/out crossings for next summer already, as well as the 'inward' ferry crossing for coming back from Ireland.

It ain't half expensive to go to Ireland now though so that's why I've only booked the 'inward' leg at £159 to come back in early September. The 'outward' leg is coming out at nearly £200 so I'm waiting to see what P&O prices are which are supposed to be out shortly. The only saving grace is that we don't have to pay for the dogs (£90 in our case plus the vet before we come back) to take them on holiday with us to Ireland so that goes some way towards paying for the 'extortionate' ferry costs. Fortunately we'll be using our Tesco vouchers but as we can only use a maximum of £105 per crossing (£210 return) it still costs us in 'hard cash'. This will be the last time we'll go to Ireland for a long time i should think, so we're hoping to spend about 6 weeks or so there - I'll probably come back with an Irish lilt!!!!

:D

I see that Eurotunnel have increased the cost of the Frequent traveller account from £390 to £430 for the 5 return crossings , we still have 1 return crossing left to use before 5th May 2013 , so then we will see what we want to do for the rest of 2013. The new rate will work out at £102 return for a motorhome and just looking at different 2013 dates for crossing with ET it is still about £40 / £50 cheaper , unfortunately we do not have a Tesco near us to use regulary , so do not get the Tesco voucher benefits and because of my wife's balance problems the ferry crossing is out of the question.

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-11-02 9:55 PM

It ain't half expensive to go to Ireland now

:D

You have to pay to go to Ireland 8-)...........................You should of saved your money Mel ;-)................Just stand under a cold shower for a 6 weeks :D.................It'll seem like your there......... and you'll come out with an Irish Wilt (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

I love Ireland but not the weather or the cost..Pelmet I think Mel cant stray to far because of family commitments.

last time we went years ago for 6 weeks July/August it rained more or less every day..still had a great time though!

JudgeMental - 2012-11-03 11:08 AMKelly, didn't the "frequent traveller" used to be 4 returns?

We have used it for the last 4 years it was £390 up front for 10 passages = 5 returns plus and extra £9 per passage for motorhomes = £18 return total £96 when I looked yesterday at the site I noticed the increase from £39 to £43 , but it did not show how much the motorhome suppliment was hopefully still at £9,but I will not be suprised if it has also been increased Just spoke to ET and the suppliment is still £9 ,so it will be £104 return still not bad for the flexibility of the account.

kelly58 - 2012-11-03 9:17 AM

I see that Eurotunnel have increased the cost of the Frequent traveller account from £390 to £430 for the 5 return crossings , we still have 1 return crossing left to use before 5th May 2013 , so then we will see what we want to do for the rest of 2013. The new rate will work out at £102 return for a motorhome and just looking at different 2013 dates for crossing with ET it is still about £40 / £50 cheaper , unfortunately we do not have a Tesco near us to use regulary , so do not get the Tesco voucher benefits and because of my wife's balance problems the ferry crossing is out of the question.

Hi Kelly,

Do yourself a favour and take out a TESCO CREDIT CARD as you still get the points wherever you shop-ASDA / SAINSBURYS--any shop at all, petrol stations/clothes ---anything. Pay the bill in full by Direct Debit at the end of the month so you pay no interest and there you go-Tunnel Vouchers. We do shop at TESCO but we use the card for ALL our shopping so it really boosts the number of vouchers.

This would help you financially and also your poor wife with her medical problem.

Good luck

derek

derek pringle - 2012-11-03 12:57 PM
kelly58 - 2012-11-03 9:17 AMI see that Eurotunnel have increased the cost of the Frequent traveller account from £390 to £430 for the 5 return crossings , we still have 1 return crossing left to use before 5th May 2013 , so then we will see what we want to do for the rest of 2013. The new rate will work out at £102 return for a motorhome and just looking at different 2013 dates for crossing with ET it is still about £40 / £50 cheaper , unfortunately we do not have a Tesco near us to use regulary , so do not get the Tesco voucher benefits and because of my wife's balance problems the ferry crossing is out of the question.
Hi Kelly,Do yourself a favour and take out a TESCO CREDIT CARD as you still get the points wherever you shop-ASDA / SAINSBURYS--any shop at all, petrol stations/clothes ---anything. Pay the bill in full by Direct Debit at the end of the month so you pay no interest and there you go-Tunnel Vouchers. We do shop at TESCO but we use the card for ALL our shopping so it really boosts the number of vouchers.This would help you financially and also your poor wife with her medical problem.Good luckderek

Agreed & you get the double bonus because if you shop at Sainsburys you get Nectar points when you use your Tesco card!

Where did all this stuff about the Tunnel come from? - on MY thread!

Tunnels is great for day trips, when time is important, but wouldn't consider it for anything else - too expensive, adn for us the boat is part of the holiday!

bolero boy - 2012-11-03 7:05 AM

Tony, you didn't say which LD route you ha# booked - Le Havre/Portsmouth or Dieppe/Newhaven?

We're using Dieppe.

So the intinerary will be Portsmouth - Bilbao - Sitges - various other bits of Spain - motorway into France - meander (a week or so) up to St Malo - see the Tour stage - Dieppe - Newhaven - home.

I hope you are not staying at the campsite El Garrofer in Sitges. It is amongst the worst I've visited. Wild cats, British people with cars with tax discs years out of date living in shanty town conditions and partying Spanish families in their statics who played loud music and party games all night. The swimming pool is small and closes in early September and there were a few itinerant people wandering around looking suspicious. The only good thing is the bus at the gate which takes you into Barcelona. A horrible place when I visited in September 2006.

JudgeMental - 2012-11-03 11:08 AM

I love Ireland but not the weather or the cost..........

I've often fancied a look at Ireland but think i'd end up in the 'wrong' area and get shot at!

And for those who believe that just doesn't happen.....think again. Happened to a neighbour of mine who went over in his huge A class Hymer just imported from Germany and returned with two bullet holes through the body.

I don't think he plans to holiday in Ireland again!

Do yourself a favour and take out a TESCO CREDIT CARD as you still get the points wherever you shop-ASDA / SAINSBURYS--any shop at all, petrol stations/clothes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Derek are there any charges with the Tesco credit card I know you can pay off the balance each month

but what else do you have to pay.

I have never had a credit card so do not know how they work..

Mike

Mickydripin - 2012-11-05 4:53 PM

Do yourself a favour and take out a TESCO CREDIT CARD as you still get the points wherever you shop-ASDA / SAINSBURYS--any shop at all, petrol stations/clothes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Derek are there any charges with the Tesco credit card I know you can pay off the balance each month

Mike

So long as you pay off the balance in full each month it shouldn't cost you a penny! :-D We have set up a direct debit so that the bill is automatically paid in full each month, and we just need to make sure that there is enough money in our bank account to cover the bill but we keep a record of what we spend on it so it's not a problem. The direct debit is ideal especially for when you are going on holiday and won't be around when your bill arrives.

Mickydripin - 2012-11-05 4:53 PM

Mike

Hi Mike

No, we do not pay any charges,but we do make sure we set up a Direct Debit for the FULL amount to be paid off at each month, and we get at least enough vouchers for 2x train trips a year plus there are always offers on for double your voucher value against certain groups of items in store or online eg elec. goods. It is honestly a brilliant system. Sound like a salesman here but I definitely am just a customer, it seems to be catching on to people now that just because it is a TESCO card you do not have to singularly use Tesco. I advise you to go online and check it out for yourself.

The very best of luck to you and your wife.

cheers

derek

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Derek and Mel I will have a look at it now.

Mike

You can also collect Tesco points by being green:

http://www.tesco.com/greenerliving/go_greener/green_money_savers/collect_green_clubcard_points.page

I also read on another forum about someone who goes round the Tesco car park and picks up discarded receipts but just keeps the ones that say about points that '... you would have earned' (as opposed to the ones that say 'you have earned'. He then takes the 'you would have earned' ones into the Customer Service section and asks them to transfer the points onto his card. :-D As an aside, he's also being green by clearing the car park of litter! :D

Archived