LED strip-lights from Ikea.......

BGD

Just fitted a couple of sets of LED strip lights from Ikea as downlighters underneath the high-level cupboards on our MH, and I have to say they are excellent, and cheap!

This is the Ikea item I bought and used (11 squids in the UK, but 9.99 euros here in Spain):

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90192071/

They are intended for mains electricity usage, so they come pre-wired with a AC mains plug/transformer......but of course the lights themselves ACTUALLY run on 12 volt DC power.

I simply cut off the mains plug/transformer, and connected the two cables to the MH 12 volt DC supply (the cable with the writing on it connects to the "positive" sideof your 12 volt system).

They even come with an in line switch already fitted, which can be surface mounted using velcro etc.

Each set comes with three actual LED strips which just push-fit together, but if you wanted a longer run of LED's, you can just buy more sets and add their LED strips to the run.

Well made, easy-peasy to fit, they give a lovely "warm" white light output, and I reckon they are fantastic value for money.

Good find Bruce! - Useful to have the solid strip with fittings.

I replaced similar 24" fluorescent tubes under the high level cupboards with LED's which I bought in a 5 metre roll (Hong Kong) Simple bit of soldering to connect and the strips had 3M self adhesive backing so easy to stick. My lights are behind opaque plastic "glass" panels, so the strip cannot be seen. Also replaced the light in the wardrobe with a length so that there is now light from top to bottom of the wardrobe. All still working fine. The 5 metre strip cost me £9.30 inc shipping, & I still have about 3 metres left!

Brambles - 2012-11-04 1:29 PM

Wow! Bruce, they are certainly bright. Are you sure you put on 12 volts and not output of your inverter.

That ain't the LED's, that's the aliens..............

(Edited to add - but I'm so impressed with these Ikea LED striplights that I'me going to pick up another set when we pass Ikea in Murcia at the start of our next couple of weeks chugging around the Murcia/Almeria regions, in a couple of days time, so that I can extend the two lengths of LED strips that I've already installed.)

They look like something I saw at the NEC being sold by Aten Lighting. These came singularly with their own USB lead and switch. The IKEA price is more competative though.

Looking through the IKEA site, there are other LED lights, all at a good price, pitty there are no sizes though.

Good spot though B-)

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
I am a complete newbie with vans but that is exactly what we did with our 88 Transit. We didn't buy the 5m strip just several little ones (more cost but hey ho) to replace all the lights, added some switches from nearest leccy store and bosh low powered, bright lighting. Simples.

Our Alto came with them already fitted ! but above the cupboards :-D they do look cosy I love them.

When we stayed at the Bridlington CC site there was a van that had them in blue fitted all around the awning rail (lol) I think that was taking things a bit too far though!! looked a bit like the image further up that brambles has posted !!

Archived