Wi Fi, 3g, Booster and all that

crbtaylor

Anyone know of a device that creates a mobile hotspot in the van that uses both wifi when available or 3g when theres no wifi signal. Seen a gizmo on motorhomewifi that creates a hospot using a wifi range extender, but i believe thats its limit. What I would like is a similar device but with 3G capability. Done all the normal searches and can find gizmo's that do one or the other but not both!! :'( :'(

I just wondered if the device above was any good for you as you posted a request for information and despite logging on many times since you have not indicated if it was indeed any help or not. It would have been nice to either receive a thumbs up or down and an acknowledgement that someone had taken the time and tried to help!

Guest pelmetman
Are they any good for boosting a wifi signal?................I'm thinking when on site and they say its free wifi in the bar area, but you can't pick it up away from the bar ;-)

Sorry about not replying but not being a teccy I sought as much info as possible. I am not sure about the one recommended, so I bought a wifi booster from motorhomr wifi and it works great. I even use it in the house when at home to boost the wifi to the loft, previously a dead spot. Now just need to sort out the 3G when no wifi available and use the booster's router to distribute it !!

pelmetman - 2012-11-10 5:54 PM

Are they any good for boosting a wifi signal?................I'm thinking when on site and they say its free wifi in the bar area, but you can't pick it up away from the bar ;-)

No not a booster just for picking up a signal as you would on your laptop but then allowing more devices to use it. so if you have to pay for the wi-fi access you only pay once but can use several devices.

Guest pelmetman
Dr Dave - 2012-11-10 6:45 PM

No not a booster just for picking up a signal as you would on your laptop but then allowing more devices to use it. so if you have to pay for the wi-fi access you only pay once but can use several devices.

Aaaah not what I'm looking for then ;-)..............I think I need some kind of antenna/Ariel type thing :-S

pelmetman - 2012-11-10 6:59 PM

Aaaah not what I'm looking for then ;-)..............I think I need some kind of antenna/Ariel type thing :-S

I have used a usb connected booster type aerial in the past (i use 3g at the moment so dont need a wi-fi booster) but it was great picking up signals from hundreds of meters away and it comes with a bracket to mount it.

The link is.

http://www.faculty-x.net/motorhome%20omni%20directional%20kit.htm

Might be of some use

Dave

Hi Dave,

I`ve got one of these and i think it`s what you are looking for :-

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn.html

The new ones are due in next week

For the money they are very good, and for a site they would be perfect.

There are quite a few on here got them and i got mine through their

recommendations.

Regards.

Graham.

Guest pelmetman
Wooie - 2012-11-10 7:20 PM

Hi Dave,

I`ve got one of these and i think it`s what you are looking for :-

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn.html

The new ones are due in next week

For the money they are very good, and for a site they would be perfect.

There are quite a few on here got them and i got mine through their

recommendations.

Regards.

Graham.

Excellent that's what I'm after :-D....................Thanks for the input chaps ;-)

Guest pelmetman
ChrisK5 - 2012-11-10 8:57 PM

Have a look here

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/

Thinking of getting one myself

????? :-S................been there for 20 years?...........but frankly they're incapable of receiving constructive criticism *-).................so receiving something from the ether is not even on their wave band ;-)

Hi Bolero Boy

I was responding more to Pelmetmans first post for boosting the Wi-fi signal.

I didn`t realise it was wanted for the I-pad as there was no mention of that in the post.

However i think there are adapters to convert the " Apple " plug to USB needed for the

Solwise Rocket.

Regards.

Graham.

bolero boy - 2012-11-11 6:54 AM

Don't both the faculty-x and rocket devices provided USB connectivity which is no good for Apple ipads nor most smart phones, so don't you also need a 'distribution device' as in the first response (the Asus) to provide WiFi for these types of computing devices?

Yes you are correct but there are several devices that will re-distribute the signal from the usb aerial. the link below is one such device.

http://www.faculty-x.net/wl-usbwifirpt-3000.htm

Archived