Indicator bog prob

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
Happened to look in the loo today and noticed the red indicator is fully showing :-S..............I know they work on magnets, so is it a problem in the cassette or the sit on bit?...........Everything else works so its not a major issue, just annoying *-)

pelmetman - 2012-11-05 5:26 PMHappened to look in the loo today and noticed the red indicator is fully showing :-S..............I know they work on magnets, so is it a problem in the cassette or the sit on bit?...........Everything else works so its not a major issue, just annoying *-)

SIRENS!..... SIRENS!........
"Mr Scott.... whats going on"
Well Captain..... the red indicator's showing ..... We have Klingons on board .....and she's going to blow!"
SIRENS!......... SIRENS!.......
"AAAaaaaRRRggggHHHH"

Guest pelmetman
Mike B. - 2012-11-05 5:56 PM

Have you emptied it recently? lol

If so it may be the cold weather affecting the sensor-try putting some warm water in cassette and emptying out

Yes its empty *-)..................though it has been known for me to forget :$..............but it was only left for a month..............or two ish :$

The weather might be an issue although Horace is tucked up in the garage, but I have put the heating on tonight, after all he is getting on a bit ;-)

laimeduck - 2012-11-05 6:19 PM
pelmetman - 2012-11-05 5:26 PMHappened to look in the loo today and noticed the red indicator is fully showing :-S..............I know they work on magnets, so is it a problem in the cassette or the sit on bit?...........Everything else works so its not a major issue, just annoying *-)

Well Captain..... the red indicator's showing ..... We have Klingons on board .....and she's going to blow!"
"AAAaaaaRRRggggHHHH"

She cannae tak anny more cap'n!D.

Guest pelmetman
Dave Newell - 2012-11-05 6:26 PM

"AAAaaaaRRRggggHHHH"

She cannae tak anny more cap'n!D.
Very funny *-).........................I see I have competition on here when it comes to toilet humour :D

"AAAaaaaRRRggggHHHH"

But aren't klingons what get deposited into the tank? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2012-11-05 6:36 PM

"AAAaaaaRRRggggHHHH"

But aren't klingons what get deposited into the tank? :-D
Klingons was used as slang for .....................no better not its teatime :D

Try giving the cassette a gentle shake Dave - preferably part full of warm water (no not that - clean water) and with the blade shut as the floaters have been known to cling on a bit!

You are right it is a magnet so perhaps you need to change your diet for one with less iron in it!

From memory there are two magnets - one on a float in the cassette and one in a micro switch in the compartment and when the float rises through buoyancy (lovely mental image) and the two align you get illuminated so the cleanest thing is to get a magnet and check the switch first - but knowing your luck it will be Klingons on the cassette walls - knock em off Dave!

It is a s####y job getting at it and full guidance can be found on the Thetford website depending on model but start by taking out the blade holder etc so you have a nice big hole to look into to see what is sticking and what is not!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2012-11-05 7:04 PM

It is a s####y job getting at it and full guidance can be found on the Thetford website depending on model but start by taking out the blade holder etc so you have a nice big hole to look into to see what is sticking and what is not!

I was afraid that might be the answer 8-) .......................22 years worth of Klingons :-S..........

How much is a new cassette? :D

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2012-11-05 7:25 PM

pelmetman - 2012-11-05 7:22 PM

How much is a new cassette? :D

More than it's weight in Klingons!!

I'll try the warm water trick then :D

It could also be limescale clogging up the float and Thetford do a cassette cleaner which has an ingredient that breaks down limescale without harming the rubber seals etc.

Ordinary domestic limescale remover would probably work but I don't know if it would harm the delicate bits in the cassette.

Quick question, if you remove the cassette does the light go out.

Light out- fault is the sensor outside the tank. (Probably a reed switch operated by magnet inside tank.)

Light stays on - fault in inside tank. Probably the magnet and float assembly stuck in the raised position and jamming due to scale rather than soil solids.

Guest pelmetman
Brambles - 2012-11-06 2:13 AM

Quick question, if you remove the cassette does the light go out.

Light out- fault is the sensor outside the tank. (Probably a reed switch operated by magnet inside tank.)

Light stays on - fault in inside tank. Probably the magnet and float assembly stuck in the raised position and jamming due to scale rather than soil solids.

We don't have lights..........just a colour'd gauge thingy ;-)....................I'm starting to think it might be bunged up with washing powder, as when we got back from our last trip I filled it with hot water and washing powder :-S

I expect you have a Thetford bench C2/C3/C4 bench toilet

http://www.bradtech.ltd.uk/products/Thetford-Cassette-Toilets--C2--C3-and-C4-Models.-T16348.html

Spares are still available for these models, including spare cassettes, the Float Arm in the cassette that operates the contents-level indicator and the external contents-level indicator itself:

http://www.bradtech.ltd.uk/products/Thetford_Cassette_C2_3_4_Holding_Tank_Parts.html

http://www.thethetfordcentre.co.uk/magento/thetford/tf/level-indicator-for-c2-c3-c4-thetford-spare-parts.html

A variation on brambles's advice...

If you remove the cassette, does the "coloured gauge thingy" go from red to green? If it does not, then the fault may lie with the "gauge thingy". If it does, then (as brambles suggests) it's likely that the float arm in the cassette is stuck in the raised position. If the float arm had become completely detached from its mounting I'd expect the gauge to show green even if the cassette is filled with water as a test.

Guest pelmetman
Thanks for the tips, it's bloomin cold here today so I'll have a play tomorrow ;-)...................as luck would have it the man is coming to sort the fridge on Thursday :D

Archived