Plans for next May

Cliffy

We are thinking of sailing Portsmouth to Santander end of May spending a couple of weeks in North Spain then across to the French Med for two weeks and coming home on a short channel crossing any advice and suggestions of routes and where to stay (Campsites) would be welcome.

We strongly recommend going inland to the Picos de Europa mountains. You can go southwards from the Lanes area towards Potes. Camping Viano in the outskirts of Potes (an ACSI site) is in a super location and has a very pleasant management. The drive through the mountains especially near Riano is quite challenging but incredibly scenic. Care is needed on the narrow and steep mountain roads.

Guest JudgeMental

when you drive up to the top there is a big plateau where you used to be able to wild camp, with one wooden shack bar/eaterie... cow bells will drive you bonkers though, as they are walking all around munching all night long...

great place for some open air hanky panky.... just be careful for walkers as the buggers get everywhere!

santalena del mar a nice historic town worth a visit.

Sounds like a plan.

This must be quite subjective but do you think two weeks is enough to do the Northern Spain area before moving on to the French Med coast for the next two weeks or do four weeks in Spainn and the Med another time?

We have just complted 7 weeks Western France and Northern Spain split 3/4. Northern Spain is a fantastic area and four weeks is a good period of time to do it. We used mainly ACSI sites as well as the aires in San Sebastion and Leon. San Sebastion is chargeable, Leon is free. As we do not cycle we made extensive use of local transport both rail and bus and found it more than adequate to get around the main city sites then used "shanks pony" in the countryside. Agree with the other contributors that picos is a must. Dont be put off by the roads. The coaches do it OK, just take it steady. Only real negative was site in Santiago de Compostella, Camping As Cancelas, which was in pretty poor order and at 34 euros grossly overpriced. Only saving grace was its location with twenty minute walk to city or option of good bus service. Were I to go to this location again I would look for an alternative. The only other point I would make is that english is less widely spoken than in the more touristy parts of Spain. As I dont know your linguistic capabilities this may or may not be of relevance but as they say a little language goes a long way. The other nice thing is you can do this area "Toll free" Enjoy your trip.

Guest JudgeMental
HymerVan - 2012-11-07 7:24 AM

Personally I would spend 4 weeks in the Northern Spain area. May depend on your return arrangements.

You could head West to Leon then Burgos, La Rioja country, Pamplona, over the Pyrenees to the Dordogne then head for Calais.

Me to........Simply don't get this obsession with France. Leave the med for another holiday. Two weeks hardly enough time to do either justice.....

Archived