steel wheel rims

William J

Bill - don't go to main dealers!

Any local breakers yard local to you should be able to sort you out.

I got two spare rims for my old Peugeot J5-based Motorhome here in Spain last year just by visiting the nearest breakers yard.

You may or may not be aware that the wheel-nut stud pattern should be exactly the same for any similar sized wheels from a Ducato, or Peugeot J5 or Citroen C25, or Talbot Express van from the same era and thus any should fit your van..............as they all were basically more or less the same vehicle but simply badged differently.

thanks for the help but I would prefer new rims. no chance of fiat supplying the 5.5 j is no longer available,

the 6J seems to have superceded on 16" rims but that means moving up to wider tyres, bit expensive at the moment and i'm not sure the wider wheel and tyre will fit into the spare wheel cradle in the engine bay!

thks for your suggestions though.

Hi - I bought my spare wheel steel rim from Tyresave in the north west.

£50 the rim (including steel valve) and £15 postage - arrrived next day

He has a range of used ducato rims. See the website: http://www.tyresave.co.uk/alloyvan.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the alloys on this page for details on steels.

Give them a call they are very helpful.

They also have new/used tyres.

Buy old rims, wire brush/sand them, 2 coats of Hammerite smooth (silver, or any other colour you like) on them whilst laid flat, paint all parts EXCEPT the actual detents were the studs locate and that part of the rear face which sits against the hub; and bingo - you've essentially got new rims.

Worked a treat on all mine.

William J - 2012-11-06 1:15 PM

thanks for the help but I would prefer new rims. no chance of fiat supplying the 5.5 j is no longer available,

the 6J seems to have superceded on 16" rims but that means moving up to wider tyres, bit expensive at the moment and i'm not sure the wider wheel and tyre will fit into the spare wheel cradle in the engine bay!

thks for your suggestions though.

It would appear from my (elderly) Michelin technical handbook that the change from 5.5"-width rims on Fiat Ducatos with 16" diameter wheels to 6.0"-width rims would have taken place in mid-1994 when a brand new model range was introduced. As your Hymer carries its spare wheel in the engine compartment, this suggests that, although you've said it's 1995, its chassis was manufactured before mid-1994.

You haven't said what your Hymer's current tyre size is, but, unless the present tyres are unusually narrow, refitting them to 6J rims should be technically OK. Michelin's data suggests that the majority of '16"' van tyres with a width between185mm and 215mm can safely be fitted to 5.5" or 6.0"-width rims.

What I don't know is whether the 6.0"-width wheels that became standard fitment on mid-1994-onwards Ducatos will be suitable for earlier Ducatos. Assuming the wider-rim wheels would be suitable for your motorhome, I would have thought that the relatively small increase in rim width should not prevent the spare wheel being fitted in the engine compartment, though opting for wider tyres might well do.

This link may be of help:

http://www.no1gear.com/

William J - 2012-11-06 11:17 AM

any advice out there on a supplier of steel wheel rims for a hymer/ducato 2.5td 1995 the rim info is 5.5JKx16"H1 somewhere in the south west would be helpful.

Try Carmart in Warminster. They got a set of 15" stainless steel for a mate of mine. Good price too.

Address:

2-6 Weymouth Street, Warminster, BA12 9NR

Phone: 01985 212 467

Archived