Tethering A Laptop.

Wooie

A question for all the Mobile Techies and Users out there.

When you " Tether " a laptop to your phone does it use the data a lot

faster than when you just use the phone itself for the internet ?

I made sure first that my phone will " Tether " and it does.

I`ve just renewed my " Sim Only " package and i`ve talked them into

giving me...1.5GB of data thrown in at no extra charge.

I probably won`t now top up the dongle when it runs out.

So i now get 300 Anytime minutes, Unlimited Texts, 100 MMS and

1.5GB data all for £10.50 a month on a 12 month contract which i

think is OK.

The reason i`m asking is that some people say that when you tether

it goes very very very quick and i wouldn`t like to go over my allowance.

I won`t be just aimlessly browsing, it will just be for info, opening times,

pop on here and a quick check on the bank etc. etc.

I`m not asking for a " Written In Blood " answer and i promise not to

hold anyone responsible if i use to much.

I`m just looking for a rough idea that`s all.

Regards.

Graham.

Not sure about data use Graham but it dun't arf gallop through the phone battery and 1.5 gb is nothing like as much as it sounds especially if you use it more than a time or two!

I used to leave the phone on charge whilst tethered but it does get quite hot and I have no idea if that harms the battery or not?

Could you use the phone sim in the dongle?

Hi Rich,

Both my phone and Dongle are with Vodafone so it probably would.

When you re-new a contract i think you should get a little " Thank You " from

these companies and i got an extra 1GB of data making 1.5GB all in.

You know the saying " If you don`t ask you don`t get "

I just didn`t want to get into having to keep turning the phone off and taking out

the Sim to put in the dongle and then vice versa.

I do a little on the phone now and probably use about 50MB of data a month now

but obviously when i tether i`ll do a bit more.

Like i said it`s for checking opening times, checking e-mails etc.etc. and i find

it easier to do on the laptop than the phones small ( 4" ) screen.

I just wondered " All you lot " with all the time in the world, swanning off abroad

for 13 months of the year to sunnier climes how you went on because i seen

some mention " Tethering ".

Regards.

Graham.

I think its true that websites that you'd normally view on a puter have higher quality images (this bigger download sizes that sites set up specifically for mobile phones and It's them darn pictures that eat up the data.

They tend to appear frequently in emails and adverts on web pages so set your browser (tools>settings) to stop them loading automatically. Then be selective about what pictures on websites (I'm thinking like National Trust) you want to see

From your post it seems you won't be streaming video but as a guide one episode of strictly would put paid to large slice of your monthlly quota.

As a precaution. (and this was covered in a recent thread started by Way2Go) ask your ISP if they provide a data usage monitor. If they do turn it on. If they don't download a free app called 3g watchdog. It's very popular because it works and is supplied by a trusted developer. You can choose to re-set automatcally to your allowance each month, then as you browse it counts the bytes you use.

My allowance is 1gb/month. I only tether when I'm doing the banking or reading a big web page/ reading sending emails. BUT also I've got weather news stock & and currency rates automatically updating on the phone and I browse whenever I feel the need and I havn't run out of data yet.

1.5gb shouldbe plenty for normal use

Vodafone do a good "APP" which you can use to monitor your usage. It's available from Apple store or Android apps.

Can you use a data cable to connect the phone to the laptop? If you can then the laptop should keep the phone charged whilst tethered. My signal is no better or worse whether tethered by data cable or via a WiFi connection to the phone.

I have only tethered my HTC phone and Netbook a couple of times and I don't think it used the data that much quicker. I only have a modest 500MB monthly allowance so I don't have a lot to play with so for the day or so that I used tethering I used a lot less than half my allowance. I think the fact that mobile websites downloads are much smaller in size than say on a PC it stands to reason you will use more data but this should be no more than you would use on a WiFi connection.

David

Hi Graham,

Well done for squeezing someting extra from these b.....s - threatening to leave usually pays dividends!

Data usage depends on what sites you are visiting - using the phone only I'm sure that 1.5Gb would be more than enough, but, as I'm sure you're aware, many sites now have "mobile" versions - small (or no) images, and highly compressed. Ideal to keep you data usage down.

You can still use these sites on your laptop, of course - I added a load of mobile bookmarks whilst at home - but once you start using normal websites things can change very quickly.

You do need some sort of monitor on your phone - mine has a warning limit that I can set - set well below my actual data limit!

Firstly a big " Thank You " to.... Hughmer, DJP, Klyne and Whatsupdoc.

This is the kind of general info i was looking for.

I`ve had a PAYG Vodafone Dongle for 4 years now and i still haven`t quite

used up the second £15 top up i put on it.

Back then the top ups lasted until you used them and not like the newer ones

that only last 30 days and if you are already on that set up they can`t take it off

you as long as you stay in credit.

I got £1.09 left on it and i think i`ll leave it like that for the time being.

Seeing as i`ve got this data use " Throw In " i might as well use that as put

some more credit on the dongle.

I already have the " My Vodafone " App and use it.

It`s going to be general use i.e. checking e-mail, checking the bank, checking

the weather, finding info, opening times, etc, etc,

I will not be downloading / streaming video or downloading music and the like.

It`s always better to get it " straight from the horses mouth " so to speak, and i`ve

seen you guys mention " Tethering " in other threads.

I think now i should be OK with almost every avenue covered because i`ve got

the Vodafone data i have, the wife has a data package with Orange / T Mobile

which has now become EE and the Solwise Rocket ariel for the free Unlimited

Wi-fi i get with my BT home broadband.

So with the wind in the right direction, touch wood etc. etc. i should be able to

keep in touch wiyh the world.

Once again Many Thanks.

Regards.

Graham.

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-06 8:51 PM

Hi Graham,

Well done for squeezing someting extra from these b.....s - threatening to leave usually pays dividends!

Data usage depends on what sites you are visiting - using the phone only I'm sure that 1.5Gb would be more than enough, but, as I'm sure you're aware, many sites now have "mobile" versions - small (or no) images, and highly compressed. Ideal to keep you data usage down.

You can still use these sites on your laptop, of course - I added a load of mobile bookmarks whilst at home - but once you start using normal websites things can change very quickly.

You do need some sort of monitor on your phone - mine has a warning limit that I can set - set well below my actual data limit!

Hi Dave,

just one question, if you are tethering using the mobile will it connect to the " Mobile Version "

even though you are doing it on the laptop.

To all intense and purposes the " Internet " will think you are connecting via your mobile, which

actually you are even though you are viewing it on your laptop ?

That`s how i see it, might be wrong, i often am..........LOL.

Regards

Graham.

Wooie - 2012-11-06 9:57 PM

Hi Graham,

Hi Dave,

just one question, if you are tethering using the mobile will it connect to the " Mobile Version "

To all intense and purposes the " Internet " will think you are connecting via your mobile, which

Regards

Graham.

Hi Graeme,

My understanding (and I'm no expert) is that the phone provides a WiFi hotspot - in exactly the same way that your home broadband does.

So I think that the laptop doesn't "know" it's tethered to a phone, it's just WiFi, in much the same way that it doesn't know it's a McDonalds, or a Starbucks hotspot.

So unless you explicitly ask it to connect to a mobile site (eg. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sportmobile) it will automatically connect to the "normal" site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport).

My phone has a "connect to desktop site" option whenever I'm looking at a mobile site - so although the phone "knows" about mobile sites, I don't think the laptop does.

I can't check this because I'm at home and, of course, it's not possible to tether to a WiFi connection.

But, I emphasize, I'm no expert, and I could be totally wrong!

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-06 10:58 PM

Wooie - 2012-11-06 9:57 PM

Hi Graham,

Hi Dave,

Regards

Graham.

Hi Graeme,

My understanding (and I'm no expert) is that the phone provides a WiFi hotspot - in exactly the same way that your home broadband does.

So I think that the laptop doesn't "know" it's tethered to a phone, it's just WiFi, in much the same way that it doesn't know it's a McDonalds, or a Starbucks hotspot.

So unless you explicitly ask it to connect to a mobile site (eg. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sportmobile) it will automatically connect to the "normal" site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport).

My phone has a "connect to desktop site" option whenever I'm looking at a mobile site - so although the phone "knows" about mobile sites, I don't think the laptop does.

I can't check this because I'm at home and, of course, it's not possible to tether to a WiFi connection.

But, I emphasize, I'm no expert, and I could be totally wrong!

Sorry I got your name wrong --- Dayve

I have had a vodafone payg dongle for a few years now and I have to say it has been the biggest load of rubbish I have ever bought. Inability to hold a single, inability to connect, lack of 3g coverage where we camp, It is not always the vodafone network that is lacking. If anyone wants one with credit on there is one going here (its the version where credit doesnt expire if its used a couple of times per year)

Last phone change I found I could tether and have found the HTC Desire to be brilliant at everything the dongle wasnt (on the O2 network) It gets connected instantly and holds on to a 3g signal in even the remotest areas. Androids also have the option of being a mobile hotspot.

As a standby, a few months ago, mainly on the suggestions made on other motorhome forums I got a 3UK MiFi unit and this also has been excellent upto date in remote areas.

I was suspicious at first having been with 3 a few years ago for the phone but they have improved their network a lot over the last 2 or 3 years, no regrets on this purchase.

ian81 - 2012-11-07 8:26 AM

Beats me why people pose questions like this here. There are countless sites detailing the process and pointing to the software needed -just google android tethering.

Must go and post a motorhome question on an AV forum.

One of the reasons for putting threads like this on here is that whilst it might

answer my question it just might be of interest to other members as well.

I thought the idea was that we are " All In It Together " .

Admittedly ,some more than others.

I`m very sorry if this has " Offended You " i`ll try to be more considerate in future.

Did you get an answer on the AV forum about us lot then ?

Dear Jan 81 please don't be so critical I find this stuff useful.

There certainly is a need for a discussion like this, as often when we are camped we are away from strong mobile phone signals and I would like to know the options I have.

It is unlikely that a subject like this would be discussed on an AV forum (or would be very hard to find)

:-D 8-)

Beats me why people pose questions like this here. There are countless sites detailing the process and pointing to the software needed -just google android tethering.

What an arrogant posting that was Ian.

Please take a minute to consider that the replies on here are written in plain English and are much easier to follow than much of the techno blurb that spouts out of 'experts' and onto the internet in ever increasing volumes.

You may know all there is to know about wifi but most of us don't so pooling what we non experts do know from our own experience makes perfect sense to most of us.

One day you might have a motorhome related question to ask to which the answer will be simple to those who know and at that time I am sure that you will get more support from others than you have shown here.

Tracker - 2012-11-07 12:22 PM

What an arrogant posting that was Ian.

Please take a minute to consider that the replies on here are written in plain English and are much easier to follow than much of the techno blurb that spouts out of 'experts' and onto the internet in ever increasing volumes.

You may know all there is to know about wifi but most of us don't so pooling what we non experts do know from our own experience makes perfect sense to most of us.

One day you might have a motorhome related question to ask to which the answer will be simple to those who know and at that time I am sure that you will get more support from others than you have shown here.

I agree - I'm a relative newcomer, and I would hate to think that I couldn't post a question which many experienced motorhomers might find trivial (and I've already done so, but had some very considerate and hugely helpful replies!).

This is a great community for learning and - hopefully - teaching (if we think we know the answer) ...

My earlier posting was not intended to be arrogant in any way. Apologies to those in Norfolk and elsewhere who found it so. Rather to highlight that often there may be a better and more reliable way to find a solution to a problem.

This forum is great for solving / and discussing motorhome related issues. If however I have a question relating to say the base of my motorhome I prefer to go to the transit web site as there is a broader and greater depth of knowledge there.

As to the comment I know it all -well I freely admit I don't!!!! I hope I won't stop learning to the day I'm in my sealed box!

Recently I have had to set up tethering and though technically not a novice neither am I an expert.

It involved loading drivers for the phone, software on both phone and pc and took a fair bit of looking round on the net. Bearing in mind the plethora of phones out there, levels of software on the phone and the necessity to choose from many applications both free and paid for.

Help -with not too much technospeak was readily available from those who had a similar configuration to my own.

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2012-11-07 2:37 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-11-07 2:15 PM

does anyone know where I left my toothbrush...any ideas?

If you are walking with a funny gait perhaps it is stuck somewhere where the sun don't shine - and no I don't mean Huddersfield!

Noooo that is the first place I looked...I have searched on toothbrush forums...

JudgeMental - 2012-11-07 3:11 PM

If you are walking with a funny gait perhaps it is stuck somewhere where the sun don't shine - and no I don't mean Huddersfield!

Noooo that is the first place I looked...I have searched on toothbrush forums...

Ah that's where you are going wrong - try searching on forums for wig wearers as it might have slipped under someone's syrup whilst they were using a shoe brush to brush up their wifi knowledge and not concentrating enough on keeping their head under their hair!!

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2012-11-07 3:49 PM

Ah that's where you are going wrong - try searching on forums for wig wearers as it might have slipped under someone's syrup whilst they were using a shoe brush to brush up their wifi knowledge and not concentrating enough on keeping their head under their hair!!

Ah Ha! found the wig forum..see that you are a member, must be a vanity/age thing....nothing on toothbrushes though....anyone?

JudgeMental - 2012-11-07 4:01 PM

Ah Ha! found the wig forum..see that you are a member, must be a vanity/age thing....nothing on toothbrushes though....anyone?

Here you go Judge...............Enjoy.

http://www.muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=53296&n=last

Guest JudgeMental
Wooie - 2012-11-07 4:13 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-11-07 4:01 PM

Here you go Judge...............Enjoy.

http://www.muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=53296&n=last

GEE thanks! A new toothbrush not the end of the world financially I guess......if it dont turn up in the next week or 2 I will venture out and buy a new one!! :-)

Maybe its in the vacuum cleaner...can anyone help me find that! :-S

Archived