Enough already!

Guest pelmetman

No, Dave, not enough -- we should all 'thank our lucky stars' that he is back. The dreadful chasm between the two sides of America which has been exacerbated by 'Tea Party' politics ( and which has transferred itself to this side of the 'pond' and the philosophies of right-wing Tories here) has just got to be addressed. If the Republican dominated legislature continues to spoil everything which this reforming president tries to do and takes them off the 'fiscal cliff' then we ARE "All in this together" and an American crash will have the same effect as in the 1930's. They simply HAVE to work together -- which would have been unlikely under Romney -- not to mention his huge ignorance of any matters outside the U.S.A. -- which could have been highly dangerous. A highly relieved "Hooray" and best wishes for another term, methinks.

Colin.

P.S. I found this to be a very interesting analysis:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/06/hurricane-sandy-americas-disaster-capitalists?INTCMP=SRCH

C.

Symbol Owner - 2012-11-07 10:50 AM

No, Dave, not enough -- we should all 'thank our lucky stars' that he is back. The dreadful chasm between the two sides of America which has been exacerbated by 'Tea Party' politics ( and which has transferred itself to this side of the 'pond' and the philosophies of right-wing Tories here) has just got to be addressed. If the Republican dominated legislature continues to spoil everything which this reforming president tries to do and takes them off the 'fiscal cliff' then we ARE "All in this together" and an American crash will have the same effect as in the 1930's. They simply HAVE to work together -- which would have been unlikely under Romney -- not to mention his huge ignorance of any matters outside the U.S.A. -- which could have been highly dangerous. A highly relieved "Hooray" and best wishes for another term, methinks.

Colin.

P.S. I found this to be a very interesting analysis:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/06/hurricane-sandy-americas-disaster-capitalists?INTCMP=SRCH

C.

I have to say that I'm with you all the way on this.

A mega billionaire, ranting funadmentalist Mormon, with rabid right-wing views, really isn't what the rest of the human race on this planet needs as Commander in Chief of US armed forces.

Symbol Owner - 2012-11-07 1:47 PM

Thanks Bruce,

At least it's better than being branded an'idiot' just because my views don't accord with someone else's!

Colin.

Yee-haaaaa, can someone lasso Colin whilst I heat up the branding iron ....! (lol) ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2012-11-07 1:47 PM

Thanks Bruce,

At least it's better than being branded an'idiot' just because my views don't accord with someone else's!

Colin.

I do hope your not trying to usurp my hard fought status as forum village idiot? 8-)...........

Watching the BBC news at the moment...............correction watching the US news *-).................just an observation........ did anyone spot a black man at the Republican rally?.... ;-)

BGD - 2012-11-07 1:10 PM

Symbol Owner - 2012-11-07 10:50 AM

Colin.

C.

I have to say that I'm with you all the way on this.

A mega billionaire, ranting funadmentalist Mormon, with rabid right-wing views, really isn't what the rest of the human race on this planet needs as Commander in Chief of US armed forces.

Why not ? and whats been a Mormon got to do with it ?

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2012-11-07 7:04 PM

Sounds to much like Moron :D................But more importantly Bush was a Republican 8-)..............So they deserve years in the wilderness just for that ;-)

Symbol Owner - 2012-11-07 3:04 PM

:-> well done Mel! After 3 weeks in hospital, severe arthritic pain and not being able to go out in the van, you lot are a tonic!

Thanks,

Colin.

Gee whiz if you think that you must be ill!!

Very best wishes for a speedy return to whatever passes for normality in Wet Wiltshire!!

pelmetman - 2012-11-07 6:15 PM

........ did anyone spot a black man at the Republican rally?.... ;-)

Here's why you didn't Dave;- "The demographics race we're losing badly," Republican Senator Lindsey Graham told The Washington Post this summer, in a moment of candour. "We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long-term," he said.

Cheers,

Colin.

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2012-11-07 7:23 PM

........ did anyone spot a black man at the Republican rally?.... ;-)

Here's why you didn't Dave;- "The demographics race we're losing badly," Republican Senator Lindsey Graham told The Washington Post this summer, in a moment of candour. "We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long-term," he said.

Cheers,

Colin.

I sometimes think the world will be a nicer place when we're all a dark beige colour ;-).....................but somehow I doubt it :-S

pelmetman - 2012-11-07 7:14 PM

antony1969 - 2012-11-07 7:04 PM

Sounds to much like Moron :D................But more importantly Bush was a Republican 8-)..............So they deserve years in the wilderness just for that ;-)

But Barack sounds like ballack which sounds like bollo..

Symbol Owner - 2012-11-07 9:50 AM

Colin.

C.

My sentiment entirely Colin. People shouldn't forget that old saying "when america sneezes everybody catches a cold".

[

Watching the BBC news at the moment...............correction watching the US news *-).................just an observation........ did anyone spot a black man at the Republican rally?.... ;-)

I didn't spot any black men - but I did notice a couple of people there who don't work for the BBC.

;-)

Tracker - 2012-11-07 7:16 PM

:-> well done Mel! After 3 weeks in hospital, severe arthritic pain and not being able to go out in the van, you lot are a tonic!

Thanks,

Colin.

Gee whiz if you think that you must be ill!!

Very best wishes for a speedy return to whatever passes for normality in Wet Wiltshire!!

Thanks Richard -- the sheer boredom of sitting at home unable to do anything much, is certainly cheered up by the the sort of comments that I get from you lot!

C.

antony1969 - 2012-11-07 6:40 PM

Would Romney had he been elected done any worse than Obama ? . Not exactly been a raving success Obama has he ? . Obviously almost 50% of Americans don't believe in Obama either .

As I said earlier, there is an enormous rift between the two sides of American politics -- which, unfortunately is being replicated over here.

Obama has not been a 'raving success' only because he has been baulked by the (Republican) House of Representatives at every turn, Anthony.

C.

50%(or more) of Britons don't believe in Cameron either, Anthony!

Colin.

Thanks,

Colin.

If you think that's 'good' Colin, wait until I get the cowboys to do the castration ... that'll be hilarious!!!! (lol)

And as for a tonic ... how about a nice bottle of Hiawatha's Snake Oil? :D

A poll of the American public on the eve of the election showed some worrying results.

72% believe God granted America a special role in history. I always thought that was the Israelites.

31% think that life existed on Mars

83% of Americans on occasion lose sleep because they are worried about money

72% think America will be in a conflict abroad in 4 years

Whether this is a good result or not is something I do not know.

However, I see some similarities between this current state of the US and Britain over the last 15 years.

In both cases a ‘Messianic’ leader emerged (Blair in 1997 and Obama in 2008) both promising a brave new world. In both cases disappointment has been the result, although the US still have to get to the finales of their experience.

Both promised Nirvana but both bankrupted their respective countries by flooding borrowed money at failed institutions. In both cases the money went straight to those who made the mess and not to any solution. Both have left debts that will take generations to pay off, if ever.

In addition both used much of this borrowed money to create a whole caste of dependents, who will forever vote for the suppliers of their ‘benefits’. Romney was correct when he stated 47% of Americans are unlikely to vote for anyone who wishes to turn them away from their benefit addiction, Blair with the help of Brown created much the same in the UK.

In both countries the election of leaders is distorted in favour of one Party, so perpetuating much of the status quo. Again, this distortion is apparent to many and leads to division in a nation. Obama can win a huge majority of electoral votes but only a miniscule majority of actual votes. In the UK it takes far more votes to elect a Conservative MP than a Labour one. Both anomalies create discord.

Both Obama and Blair believed that immigration in an uncontrolled state was the means to gain perpetual control. Both knew that births among immigrants would exceed indigenous births by a big factor, so in time making the situation irreversible. Combining this with the above mentioned welfare addiction meant a guaranteed voter pool. The current US results indicate clearly that ethnic groups were the main driver to Obama’s win while Blair believed that filling the UK with immigrants would guarantee him remaining in power. Both disregarded the downside of such a move. Both therefore have, and do preside over deeply divided nations. And both have left their nations with many wondering if there is anyone with morality and ability to lead them upwards, apart from those with their hands out.

Both Blair and Obama come from society groups that believe they are entitled to eternal power and will do anything and everything to ensure that their own groups retain control. They profess liberal views of wealth distribution but in reality these only apply to themselves, not to the masses. Obama professes to be a man of the masses but is in fact from a niche part of society where power is a given. Blair somehow actually believes he is God and cannot fathom why he is despised so much by the UK population.

The US is a big enough country where the individual States can water down much of the rules they do not like and have a great deal of autonomous control. Here in the UK it is much less an option and a lot of disgruntlement is the result. Some have even procrastinated that the US could split again similar to prior to the Civil War, here we have separation being discussed. Yet everyone knows this is not the answer.

Now the above does not mean I am a full blooded Republican or Conservative or even Nationalist, but the events of recent years have created major tears in our accepted worlds and a solution that is acceptable to all our societies has to be found. At the moment I see similarities between the US and the UK and the latter stages of the Roman Empire where the biggest threats were not from other nations but from within, and these gradually destroyed the host. One possible answer for the Uk is to jump into Europe wholeheartedly and give up what is left of our sovereignty. I do not like it but at least then we could let someone else worry about making it all work. As for the US, unless they can recover their ‘go for it, gung ho’ mentality then I suspect gradual decline and fall is their lot eventually.

Of course nothing is certain and as history has shown us events can suddenly arise out of the blue that change the whole current status on its head. 1914 was one that was cataclysmic although I pray that we do not get a war to resolve the problems.

Meanwhile back to the whisky bottle. It makes me feel better.

It is right to connect Blair and Obama. Their strategy was to examine every constituency that required a small swing in their direction, identify something that they could promise when they won and BINGO.

We now have Home rule for Scotland and Wales, Civil Partnerships, unrestricted immigration from Asia, more public sector workers than ever, closer integration with the EU, involvement in Irak and Afghanistan, poor David Kelly, and so on, and Mr Blair is paid $20,000,000 a year by his American friends.

AGD

It is right to connect Blair and Obama. Their strategy was to examine every constituency that required a small swing in their direction, identify something that they could promise when they won and BINGO.

We now have Home rule for Scotland and Wales, Civil Partnerships, unrestricted immigration from Asia, more public sector workers than ever, closer integration with the EU, involvement in Irak and Afghanistan, poor David Kelly, and so on, and Mr Blair is paid $20,000,000 a year by his American friends.

AGD

Archived