Is it just me?

rupert123

Last week I purchased a new satnav and upgraded my old mobile phone. Now i have used computors since the old Amstrad double disc drive days so am not completely without some idea of how things work. Just getting the satnav and phone up and running nearly drove me mad. First he satnav came with Tomtoms lifetime maps and it took me two days just to sort this out and provide Tomtom with the proof of purchase they required. Then the new phone, did a deal with Orange for the phone and new contract but the deal that appeared on my account was totally differant to that agreed, took three phone calls to sort this out. Then a simple, I thought , change my number to new account, another three calls and still waiting for this. The computor age should make things easy, well not for me, and if you do not have a computor with internet access how do you buy a phone or a satnav?

Keithl - 2012-11-08 2:01 PM

Rupert,

The problem here is that you are using an old COMPUTOR spelt with an 'O' and not a modern COMPUTER spelt with an 'E' :D

Keith.

School teacher are we Keith?

Should have written how do you buy and get working a phone and satnav.

It's called progress Henry - but only by those who invent the wretched stuff and are seemingly either too young, naive or stupid to think through about how real people will use it all!

Perhaps Keithi is too smart to be a teacher - I wonder if he will come round and show you how it is done!

Tracker - 2012-11-08 4:21 PM

It's called progress Henry - but only by those who invent the wretched stuff and are seemingly either too young, naive or stupid to think through about how real people will use it all!

Perhaps Keithi is too smart to be a teacher - I wonder if he will come round and show you how it is done!

No need Rich, off to see the grandson tonight, he is going to sort the phone out.

Hi Henry,

Sorry but I didn't mean to offend.

My comment was meant to be a humorous reason why you where struggling with your Sat Nav and phone but obviously failed :-(

And Rich, no I'm not a teacher but am married to one so regularly get called on to proof read reports and look for spelling mistakes, a trait which I then find makes me spot spelling mistakes wherever they occur.

And finally I'll admit that if I get stuck with electrical gadgets and computer foibles I turn to my kids who are far more 'au fait' with it than I am even though I use a computer all day every day at work. If you want the ECU in your car reprogramming or your datalogger sorting then I'm your man!

Hope you get your Sat Nav sorted Henry,

Keith.

No it's not just you!

I find the TomTom interface on my pute to be dire, esp when if like me you've had two and one runs on TomTomHome and the other on MyTomTom.

The problem you have with the phone seems to be increasing more common I know several people how have signed off on one deal to mysteriously get another that is more expensive.

Keithl - 2012-11-08 8:02 PM

Hi Henry,

Sorry but I didn't mean to offend.

My comment was meant to be a humorous reason why you where struggling with your Sat Nav and phone but obviously failed :-(

And Rich, no I'm not a teacher but am married to one so regularly get called on to proof read reports and look for spelling mistakes, a trait which I then find makes me spot spelling mistakes wherever they occur.

And finally I'll admit that if I get stuck with electrical gadgets and computer foibles I turn to my kids who are far more 'au fait' with it than I am even though I use a computer all day every day at work. If you want the ECU in your car reprogramming or your datalogger sorting then I'm your man!

Hope you get your Sat Nav sorted Henry,

Keith.

No offence Keith, my typing is pretty slow so sometimes answers seem abrupt. About time this site had a spell checker anyway.

colin - 2012-11-08 8:43 PM

No it's not just you!

I find the TomTom interface on my pute to be dire, esp when if like me you've had two and one runs on TomTomHome and the other on MyTomTom.

The problem you have with the phone seems to be increasing more common I know several people how have signed off on one deal to mysteriously get another that is more expensive.

Not had a Tomtom for a long time Colin, last two Garmin. Old satnav getting lost a bit now so decided to re-place. I always believe not much between them, they all do the same thing, so bought a Start60. Two reasons, it had lifetime maps and a 6" screen. The lifetime maps was where all the problems started, trying to activate it. Among other stuff you have to send proof of purchase but this seemed to get lost in their system and has taken a while to sort out, now seems ok. We will see.

Oh grandson sorted the phone in about five minutes, my wife thinks I am mad, she ignores computors and anything to do with them completely, leaves her phone switched off and uses a map, strange she has a lot less stress than me.

Archived