Touring with a scooter

whatsupdoc

There have been many threads on here regarding scooters etc-if you just put 'scooters' into the search section over the last 12 months it will bring up lots of opinions for and against and also various recommendations re weights/licences etc

Mike

PS welcome to the forum and don't take offence at some of the replies you get! :-D

Just make sure that you have easy loading / unloading sorted, I use a small electric winch to pull the bikes in so its a single handed operation. Use Ratchet straps and not bungees to hold the bike securely. WEAR A CRASH HELMET. And if you don,t know what a LIFESAVER is then you need to find out first. Oh, drive on the right!

Enjoy, like we do. but take care. Lots.

C.

Forgot to add that we have tried scooters and small motorbikes and prefer bikes as you have better control by clamping the bike between your knees.

But if you cannot get a leg over .......

Clive - 2012-11-09 2:51 PM

Just make sure that you have easy loading / unloading sorted, I use a small electric winch to pull the bikes in so its a single handed operation. Use Ratchet straps and not bungees to hold the bike securely. WEAR A CRASH HELMET. And if you don,t know what a LIFESAVER is then you need to find out first. Oh, drive on the right!

Enjoy, like we do. but take care. Lots.

C.

Forgot to add that we have tried scooters and small motorbikes and prefer bikes as you have better control by clamping the bike between your knees.

But if you cannot get a leg over .......

Clive-

I've got a big bike-do you think that is why I have trouble getting my leg over? I can't clamp my knees together when riding, would I be better off changing it for a monkey bike-or am I nuts?

Mike :-D

Agree with Clive regarding a bike. We have a yamaha 125 @ 118 Kgs, brilliant. The seats on scooters tend to be too wide for us folks with short legs.

I've read through the various threads on scooters - and most are about carrying on a rack or towing, but we want to use our garage.

The trouble is it's not that big, and although I know for sure we can get a 50cc in there, we would prefer something a little more powerful - at least 100cc.

So I've been looking at Sym scooters - eg. http://www.symuk.co.uk/mio_100cc.html.

I know people will immediately tell me to give them a wide berth (although they're Taiwanese, not Chinese) - but I was wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience of them (or knows anyone who has)?

---

Also, small (125cc) motorbikes have been suggested by several people, but wouldn't they be physically larger than an equivalent scooter?

Hi, we tour with a scooter in the garage, a 125cc Sym Tonic.

We spent ages looking for a 125 that wasn't too broad in the beam and crucially had a low seat height as swmbo is vertically challenged. The Tonic fits the bill and is a huge hoot to ride abroad :-D Just need to take the mirrors off to get it into the boot, all of a minute's work.

And don't confuse Sym with Chinese etc manufacturers who offer dubious quality products and support.

Sym are South Korean, been around making scooters since the early 60's. Now a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyundai, previously a joint venture with Honda. The brand has arguably the best network of dealers and support across Europe.

jakeontour - 2012-11-11 12:38 PM

Hi, we tour with a scooter in the garage, a 125cc Sym Tonic.

We spent ages looking for a 125 that wasn't too broad in the beam and crucially had a low seat height as swmbo is vertically challenged. The Tonic fits the bill and is a huge hoot to ride abroad :-D Just need to take the mirrors off to get it into the boot, all of a minute's work.

And don't confuse Sym with Chinese etc manufacturers who offer dubious quality products and support.

Sym are South Korean, been around making scooters since the early 60's. Now a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyundai, previously a joint venture with Honda. The brand has arguably the best network of dealers and support across Europe.

Thanks very much for that - I have heard good things about Sym, but I wasn't sure they were totally independent reports, so it's good to hear from someone who actually owns one.

The Tonic is not too heavy - under 100kg - so is it reasonably easy to get in and out? Do you use a winch, or just push it up a ramp?

And I guess it's fairly comfortable for 2 people (we wouldn't be travelling vast distances, of course)?

For a good compromise, have a look at a Sachs MadAss 125cc motorbike.
Big wheels, German designed, 100Kg and very thin because the tank is the frame. Ideal for a motorhome garage.
Mine fits into my Benima Garage easily.
They have an odd name & are strange looking but they may fit the bill for you.

Hi - I'm guessing that you actually have a Chausson Flash 04 motorhome. We had one until recently so know the size of the garage you have.

We have a couple of Sym VS125 scooters but these are 'large' so won't fit, however, we also used to have a couple of Yamaha Vity 125 scooters and these were smaller and I think you 'd definitely get one of those in there. Another forum member with a Flash 04 was asking a similar question on another thread so if you have a search of the forum you might be able to find it.

As has been said, Sym scooters aren't Chinese copies, they are well made and very robust scooters, and lovely to ride. We certainly haven't been disappointed with ours.

Until recently we toured with a scooter.

Piagio 50cc zip (derestrricted) weighed about 80kg was ok for two up for short journeys frequent stops required for anything over 20mile at a time but your on hols so no rush. 50cc is do-able as long as your happy at 40mph tootling along country roads. Fitted easily into garage with bed at full height once inside you can drop bed down to nearly touch the handle bars. I strapped the bars to the metal section of the bed one strap forward one going back from same handle bar grip this stopped scoot falling over under braking or acceleration. made a plywood base to fit exactly into garage floor with some 3"x2" wood glued and screwed into place to locate the rear wheal then another at the front to strap the front wheal to. Never moved stable as anything. Had a tread plate ramp made which is quite easy to push scooter up.

Hope some of this helps.

If you want anymore info regarding best way to secure in garage pm me.

Ramp is available at minimal cost if your interested again pm me for pics etc.

ips - 2012-11-13 9:13 AM

Piagio 50cc zip (derestrricted) weighed about 80kg was ok for two up for short journeys frequent stops required for anything over 20mile at a time but your on hols so no rush. 50cc is do-able as long as your happy at 40mph tootling along country roads. Fitted easily into garage with bed at full height once inside you can drop bed down to nearly touch the handle bars. I strapped the bars to the metal section of the bed one strap forward one going back from same handle bar grip this stopped scoot falling over under braking or acceleration. made a plywood base to fit exactly into garage floor with some 3"x2" wood glued and screwed into place to locate the rear wheal then another at the front to strap the front wheal to. Never moved stable as anything. Had a tread plate ramp made which is quite easy to push scooter up.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks - that's really useful info. I was wondering about how to secure the scooter, and thought about putting a rail on the back wall - but your solution seems a lot neater.

Did you screw the blocks into the floor, or did they just fit? (I would be worried about screwing into the floor in case I punctured something).

Still undecided about a 50cc/125cc - one of the 100cc Syms is just over 80kg. But 40mph would be fine, as long as hills were no problem (we weigh 140kg between us ...).

I will pm you for pics - thanks!

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-13 11:33 AM

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks - that's really useful info. I was wondering about how to secure the scooter, and thought about putting a rail on the back wall - but your solution seems a lot neater.

Did you screw the blocks into the floor, or did they just fit? (I would be worried about screwing into the floor in case I punctured something).

Still undecided about a 50cc/125cc - one of the 100cc Syms is just over 80kg. But 40mph would be fine, as long as hills were no problem (we weigh 140kg between us ...).

50cc is a small step up from an electric bike. Go for a 125cc, good light, cheap modern scooter is the Honda Vision at 100kg.

goldi - 2012-11-13 9:54 AM

Morning all,

I,ve got a sym fiddle125 which goes on the rack .It goes ok with the three of us on and is grat fun. Do not under estimate sym and kymco I suggest you measure the heights very carefully.

norm

Thanks Norm - I'm beginning to like the sound of Syms more and more - They're reasonably small and light.

You're right - it's the height which is the crucial factor. The Sym website gives dimensions and gives the Fiddle II as 115cm - which is just a shade too big. Pity, as the under seat storage seems very good.

I don't know how accurate the dimensions they give are - and obviously I'll wait until I've got the van before getting anything, but I might have a look at our "local" dealaer before then (but 30m away ...).

rupert123 - 2012-11-13 11:42 AM

Hope some of this helps.

50cc is a small step up from an electric bike. Go for a 125cc, good light, cheap modern scooter is the Honda Vision at 100kg.

Yes - a nice scooter and the weight is ok.

But it's the height ... and without seeing the bike it's difficult to get the exact dimensions!

Hope some of this helps.

When we carried a scooter in the garage I bought this 'shoe' which was bolted in and the scooter front wheel fits perfectly into it. I then secured it with a ratchet strap throught the shoe & wheel. If you have anchor points in the floor, you then strap a ratchet up & over the back and the bike can't move anywhere. I found if I took the mirrors off I could actually put the scooter on the stand and it never moved once.

Mike

DSCF0001.JPG.163045095dfe2521c267540d0338b26c.JPG

Mike B. - 2012-11-13 12:10 PM

Hope some of this helps.

When we carried a scooter in the garage I bought this 'shoe' which was bolted in and the scooter front wheel fits perfectly into it. I then secured it with a ratchet strap throught the shoe & wheel. If you have anchor points in the floor, you then strap a ratchet up & over the back and the bike can't move anywhere. I found if I took the mirrors off I could actually put the scooter on the stand and it never moved once.

Mike

Yes - I was looking at something like http://www.leisureoutlet.com/motoring-and-travel/cycle-carriers/cycle-carrier-accessories/fiamma-carry-moto-wheel-chock.html but it's expensive and yours most probably does the job just as well.

Although I am trying to avoid screwing into the floor ... in case I hit something I shouldn't!

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-13 8:34 PM

Although I am trying to avoid screwing into the floor ... in case I hit something I shouldn't!

When we had a Flash 04 I did drill holes in the floor and I can tell you that nothing runs through it (there's nothing that would need to).

Mel B - 2012-11-13 9:21 PM

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-13 8:34 PM

When we had a Flash 04 I did drill holes in the floor and I can tell you that nothing runs through it (there's nothing that would need to).

Hi Mel - Thanks for that!

I thought that maybe there might be wiring, but I guess that's routed around the van, rather than under the floor.

If your floor is the same as ours (which I expect it will be) it is of a sandwich construction rather than a solid floor. If so I would not advocate just screwing into it as it will not be strong enough. I drilled through mine and fitted sealant on both sides plus plates underneath to spread the load and used nuts & bolts rather than screws.

This made it much safer and secure than it would be just screwed on.

Think the shoe I bought was about £20 from Armitages but obviously that is a long way from you but if you're in the vicinity they would supply and fit it for you reasonably. They also supply ramps.

The other thing with ours was the garage floor is faced with a rubber mat type finish so I fitted a thin metal plate where the stand was and this enabled me to slide the scooter slightly into the shoe without wrecking the floor covering.

There is another shoe called a 'rock & roll' I think which locks the front wheel in when in place-designed to add to a m/c trailer but can be fitted to the floor in the same way as described above. Bit pricey but means you can load it singlehandely

Mike

http://www.erde-trailers.com/wheelstowplus-motorbike-front-wheel-holder-for-the-erdeacute-pm310-trailer-302-p.asp

Archived