Website of French Aires, with 360 degree Panoramic Views

BGD

Here's a website that people touring in France may find very useful.

It's by an enterprising chap who is visiting French Motorhome Aires and Parking places with one of those 360 degree panoramic cameras (like Google Streetview uses), and then uploads the images to the website.

Thus you can get a pretty good feel for what a particular Aire/parking site is like before you even decide to go there.

His website only seems to show Aires etc in the Northern regions of France so far, but I know that he is expanding it across the whole country, as we actually got photographed by his van camera thingy whilst we were on an Aire in Southern France about 3 weeks ago.

http://www.panoramic-camping-rest-area-motorhome-france.com/

It's an interesting website and obviously has a long way to go to become a really useful resource to planning stopovers at Aires while travelling.

I'm not too sure what it gives you that is much better than Google Streetview though? Once you know the co-ordinates of a location you can see what the place is like already just by using Google Maps.

But good luck to the developer :-)

Bojitoes - 2012-11-10 4:03 PM

Thanks BGD that looks really very good indeed, I can finish planning winter trip to Spain now . Have you got any gigs lined up in the Benidorm area in February?

Bob

Hi Bob -

I don't play Benidorm.

Haven't for about 4 years now.

I used top play in Heartbreak Hotel, and Daytona bars on the seafront, and also in Western Saloon bar and Rock 'n Roll bar.

But the money became dire, and frankly the clientèle often left a lot to be desired.

I've really had massively enough of playing to not-listening, pot-bellied, heavily tattooed, foul-mouthed, fat, very drunk, lairy and violent Brits....................................and that was just the women.

The nearest I get nowadays is Calpe, about 15kms North.........about a million miles in cultural terms.

Thjis is my Facbook page, which includes gig dates:

https://www.facebook.com/thenomadshow

Kepp an eye on it for bookings; but we are due to be away in the MH to south Spain and Portugal for January and the first half of February 2013. :-D

Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-12 6:46 PM

I'll risk being accused of negativity, but I'm asking myself why anyone would choose to use the 'Panoramic' website when the campingcar-infos website is so much more comprehensive, up-to-date and offers maps, photos and 'Streetviews' for most entries.

Probably because they choose to, and that is their choice. Unless you disagree that is Derek.

peter - 2012-11-12 8:51 PM

I'll risk being accused of negativity, but I'm asking myself why anyone would choose to use the 'Panoramic' website when the campingcar-infos website is so much more comprehensive, up-to-date and offers maps, photos and 'Streetviews' for most entries.

Probably because they choose to, and that is their choice. Unless you disagree that is Derek.

Oh Peter, you are such an enfant terrible (95% enfant: 5% terrible). People can do what they like as far as I'm concerned,

The "Panoramic" website (PW) deals with the same subject as the campingcar-infos site (CIW), but casually comparing the limited area of France covered by the PW and the equivalent area on the CIW, indicates (unsurprisingly) that the PW fails to include plenty of well-known aires mentioned on the CIW.

The PW website is apparently the work of a single person visiting each aire and taking photos, whereas the CIW site obtains much of its data from the motorcaravanners themselves. This makes the information on the CIW site much more likely to be up-to-date and accurate.

Another 'aires' website is this one http://www.i-campingcar.fr/accueil.htm but this still lags badly behind the CIW.

Derek, you are correct that camping-car infos is the best data base available for French aires. However, the panoramic site (thanks to OP for bringing this to general attention) although more limited is still a useful additional resource as is the i-camping cars site also mentioned by Derek. Although not as comprehensive as camping-car infos there are on the whole more recent comments and therefore tends to be more upto date. A further resource is the site www.campingcar and joie de vivre.fr .This is a forum but go to aires section and find comments on new aires, problems etc We find using all 4 helps us select aires we have not visited before; great thing is all are free (unlike some uk based aires data bases).

Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-13 8:27 AM

peter - 2012-11-12 8:51 PM

Oh Peter, you are such an enfant terrible (95% enfant: 5% terrible). People can do what they like as far as I'm concerned

And your'e such a >

robertandjean - 2012-11-13 9:22 AM

Derek, you are correct that camping-car infos is the best data base available for French aires. However, the panoramic site (thanks to OP for bringing this to general attention) although more limited is still a useful additional resource as is the i-camping cars site also mentioned by Derek. Although not as comprehensive as camping-car infos there are on the whole more recent comments and therefore tends to be more upto date. A further resource is the site www.campingcar and joie de vivre.fr .This is a forum but go to aires section and find comments on new aires, problems etc We find using all 4 helps us select aires we have not visited before; great thing is all are free (unlike some uk based aires data bases).

Some others:

http://en.airecampingcar.com/

http://airescampingcarenfrance.fr/

http://www.camping-car-park.com/

Thanks for extra links Derek; really interesting one is the camping-car-park one as this is a private company developing a series of aires all over France. These are either brand new or previous municipal aires re-developed. These will all have electric hook-ups, wi-fi etc with credit card barrier entry at cost of 12€/24 hours. Not been to any yet but might pick one up this time; if in good position re town centres etc then sort of aire we are happy to stay on. Think this is way aires are moving, more facilities but at more cost.

Also for latest info re aires then both French camping car mags, Le Monde du Camping-car and camping car Magazine carry pages of reports on new aires, updates etc every month. Some of this info is also on each of these mags web sites.

Archived