Omnistor Awning sticking

bobalobs

Our PVC is fitted with an Omnistor 6002 rollout awning. For some time it has been reluctant to release at the nonwinder end of theawning when unwinding and more recently there would be a clonking noise as it finally unrolled.

Investigations showed me that a spring attached to a small "rocker arm" had come adrift due to the plastic lug towhich it should have been attached breaking.

I have replaced the plastic lug and this has stopped the clonking but the rear of the awning will not release until the front is about 18 inches out.

Is there a simple answer to this problem or is it a job for the experts?

Thanks for any response.

I wouldn't be just winding it until the one end is 18" out,if the other end is still stuck..as that's likely to twist something...

Has the "stuck" end dropped any?..and therefore isn't unlatching properly?...

Our's dropped slightly at the one end(opposite end from winder) and needed a slight lift to get it to release(and again to get it to re-latch).

I made enquiries as to how to *adjust it...and was told by several "Omnistor awning fitters" that there wasn't any!...and that the only way to solve it was to fit a shim behind the lower edge of the alloy block (at the low end)....

This I did and it's now fine(..not that I use it that often to be honest).Some squirts of silicon lube also helps the plastic latches....

(* I seem to recall being able to "tweak" our previous Fiamma by easing off the bolts and re-setting it..)

Thanks Pepe. I have also read on a Fiamma site about resetting the awning and had hoped there was a similar proceedure with the Omnistor though the posting inferred there was a risk of making it worse so to remember the original setting!

When it stops raining I will go and try to recognize the "alloy block" that you shimmed. I assume it is the mounting block for the folding arm rather than part of the release mechanism?

The problem as in your case is at the non winding end but I could not release it by lifting the awning but only by winding it in and trying again. Itmay be that this has changed since replacing the plastic lug and spring. I'll check when it is dry.

Thanks Pepe. No need to apologise. Your post gave me areas to think about. I assume your shims were under the actual mounting points on the van whilst with a PVC there are fixed mounting vans forming part of the van construction.Weather forecast not good but will look tomorrow.

I've tried to find a clear picture of section that I "shimmed"...but no luck yet...

No,I didn't shim the main mounting brackets,if I recall correctly,it was the bottom edge of the,for want of a better word, "main pivot block" from which the arm...well...pivots!... (lol)

It's suprising that for something that is prone to getting twisted and going out of alignment,that there isn't a better way of adjusting them...

Maybe there is...but I contacted several Omnistor "agents" and they didn't know of any(..or if they did,they weren't going to share it with me! (lol) )

If you release the awning by just a little you will be able to see a small green clip inside the awning rail, the part attached to the van. Push a screwdriver in under that clip and the sticking end will release. Once released wind out the awning fully and on the canopy rail just above where the legs attach you will see a small curved guide bar. The edge of this will probably have developed saw like teeth deformations along the leading edge. Try reprofiling this with a Stanley knife and close the awning again. You may have to fit new parts, there is one on either end, at a cost of about £15 available from Hillview Awnings. Brent there is very helpful.

Thanks Charlie

Not able to fully extend the awning in the drive unlessthe neighbours are out and it goes over the fence!! Next time the van is out will investigate properly but in the meantime will roll it out to the fence to see if I can spot the parts you mention.

Charlie i have managed to get the awningfar enough out to get a good look and it seems there are differences between our awnings. mine is a 2010 6002 model.

There are no green clips. There are red plastic clips but they are so buried that I cannot see that I could get a blade to it at the stuck end as access is blocked by the shape of the canopy rail.

The awning has a "nodding Donkey" aluminium extrusion in the awning box thatis sprung loaded. When the canopy is wound in it hooks over a shaped moulding on the canopy rail.That had a very small raised area at one end which I have smoothed off with a file. Added a coating of Vaseline but it is still sticking though it could be a bit better.

Any further thoughts? Thanks.

May not be much help but the awnings on both our last and present motorhomes have shown a tendency to stick, though not as badly as yours. On ours a healthy squirt of silicon lube has solved the problem.. I do both end whilst I'm at it. I now do this on a regular basis at the start of each season.

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2012-11-13 7:18 PM

May not be much help but the awnings on both our last and present motorhomes have shown a tendency to stick, though not as badly as yours. On ours a healthy squirt of silicon lube has solved the problem.. I do both end whilst I'm at it. I now do this on a regular basis at the start of each season.

Now there's an idea ;-).................mines been sticking for years *-)..............but a good thump and a waggle normally sorts it :D

Works for the awning as well (lol) (lol)

Thanks Colin. Please preach to the ignorant and say where you spray or is it every part of the mechanism you can get to? Thumping of a mild nature does not work but winding it in and out normally does after a couple of attempts. Perhaps I am expecting too much but our previous Omnistor had a very smooth action.

Attached photos as promised. No 1 shows green clip I referred to. I think your red ones will perform the same function .You should be able to push a long thin screwdriver underneath the cover plate and release this clip. Unwinding the awning a little should open a small gap.

The second photo shows the guide blade I mentioned.

Archived