Open Top Touring

kelly58

Tracker - 2012-11-12 3:48 PM

It's very sad to see ......................but it don't matter how you look at it 3.2 just does not go into 2.5!

No indication of when this was?

Sadly, I don't think it's too difficult to have this happen.

On our first trip we were driving through Rouen, along the side of the river I think, following sat-nav, a little lost. New van, never done campervanning before, hot day, a little rushed in traffic.

I opted to take a short-cut, to avoid the numerous traffic lights; and I took one of the underpasses.

The radio ariel clunked on the height indicator, and I slowed to a crawl.

The underpass was 2.70M!!!!

Our van is 2.65M to the top of the highest rooflight!!

I was expecting to be on TV news that night.

I avoid Rouen, never been back, have no desire to visit; brings back an attack of the sweats. I know how big our van is tho"!!

regards

alan b

Fred, Fred, FRED, Where did you put the gaffer tape.

The nearest i ever came to this was trying to get to what turned out to be an underground car park in a hillside immediatly after turning sharply off the road. Stopped about ten ft short and a bright local saw where I was going and waited in the main road so I could back out easily.

Went to several when I was patrolling. None quite so dramatic. If the vehicle was empty all that was usually need was several people to get in and compress the springs

I thought I had done the same many years ago in a Bedford CA, going under the railway bridge at Dawlish Warren.

I knew I had checked & had sufficient clearance, but as we were going under a Train crossed over. Due to the noise everyone including myself, immediately looked up expecting to see no van roof.

Also a few years ago, approached the bridge at Bolton Castle, waiting for oncoming traffic, so I could line up centre of span. A guy coming towards me stopped & waited. I'm sure he was expecting me to take the roof off as I only had 4" to spare height wise.

In the 80s we were driving through Antibes when we were sent down an underpass. There was a weighted height indicator which shattered the rooflight of our Hymer. The locals were not amused at having to back up to let us out again. A roll of sticky plastic tape kept us going until we got back home to North Wales.

Archived