Old vehicles & trucks to be banned from Paris Streets

laimeduck

Guest pelmetman

Its a pleasure to be banned from any city in my book ;-)..................Gawd knows why people flock to them........must like being hemmed in like sheep and charged through the nose for the privilege *-)....

Give me the countryside everytime B-)

sshortcircuit - 2012-11-13 2:56 PM

. I am afraid culture is not everybody's forty, but then thats the value of choice

Cities, to me, represent noise, congestion, pollution, extortionate prices, and some interesting buildings.

So the ' price ' of visiting culture in the city is too high to me.

If/ when I do go it 's by public transport - certainly wouldn't take the van.

This will become a major problem in years to come, we are already banned from London and other areas of Europe.

I bought a new motorhome in 2004, it is over 3500kgs and already it is classed as being too old for certain areas, and given the way these politicians are heading a few more years and if your car or van is more than 3 years old you will be banned from your own towns.

We just lie back and take it all the time.

RD

sshortcircuit - 2012-11-13 3:56 PM

Unfortunately link not working. Been to Paris twice and found the ring road "interesting". Will Definitely go back again as it is a beautiful city with so many buildings to see. I am afraid culture is not everybody's forty, but then thats the value of choice

I think this is the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9672713/Old-bangers-and-classic-cars-to-be-banned-from-Paris.html

He's talking only of central Paris, only of vehicles over 17/18 years old, the suggested measures to come in from 2014 or later; and anyway his ideas will/would have to get through many layers of approval.........so maybe no need to panic just yet.

In any event, Paris is IMHO generally visited much better by MH if by way of staying outside the city and getting into the centre using the Metro/bus system.

Thanks Bruce for that link and explanation. Agree with what you say as I found site in Paris expensive and a bit tired. Had hoped to pick up a flight/hotel package but have not done much research

What's with the weather in your area at the moment? Hurricane today followed by a monsoon. Hope it clears up for the remainder of the fiesta

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-11-13 5:16 PM

Thin end of the wedge. Where next? Monaco, Le Mans........don't think so, but Strasbourg, Bordeaux etc will be a possible target.

Strange thing is, that these people are the first to ask if I or my club can take our cars along to help raise funds for their charity do.

Dave

Saw a classic convertible Citroen DS for sale the other week for 105k 8-)....................and this new rule means it wouldn't be allowed into Paris (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2012-11-13 5:26 PM

Thin end of the wedge. Where next? Monaco, Le Mans........don't think so, but Strasbourg, Bordeaux etc will be a possible target.

Strange thing is, that these people are the first to ask if I or my club can take our cars along to help raise funds for their charity do.

Dave

Saw a classic convertible Citroen DS for sale the other week for 105k 8-)....................and this new rule means it wouldn't be allowed into Paris (lol) (lol)

Anyone paying that Dave shouldn't be aloud-out of the asylum :-D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2012-11-13 6:07 PM

crinklystarfish - 2012-11-13 9:41 AM

Not an issue, it's a tip anyway.

How dare you insult Daves beloved van like that. :D

It does smell of garlic and labrador :$

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-11-13 6:15 PM

pelmetman - 2012-11-13 5:26 PM

Dave

Anyone paying that Dave shouldn't be aloud-out of the asylum :-D

Dave

It was nice...............but even so ;-)..................I'd rather spend my spare money on pork pie's and cheap wine :D

Hi

It was inevitable ever since the introduction of congestion charging in London followed by the "emission zone". It`s a creeping way of taxing the less well off, off the road system so that the "rich" can have more room to shop.!!!. As for London itself, I wouldn't go anywhere near the stinking place, full of rip-off merchants (Westminster) and with a dreadful "Public" transport system to boot!! If you are a delivery driver it`s a nightmare, stop even for a few min; to make a drop and you get a"ticket"!!!. What it needs is flattening and turning into farmland!!. move the Capital to the Midlands or maybe offshore!!

Before I sold it ,it would have cost me £200-00 per day to take my R-V into (say) Crystal Palace Camp site!!. Not going to happen, Greedy B`s. I pity anyone who HAS to live there!!

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-11-13 6:34 PM

105k, are we talking £'s or miles :-S

Dave[/quote

It was coin of the realm Dave ;-) ......................maybe it was owned by someone famous :-S.............but the DS is getting trendy like the VW camper..........

I had one in Gib in the mid 70's......................

I'll always remember it fondly as it got me my first ticket for driving a dangerous vehicle :D

PeteH - 2012-11-13 6:34 PM

Hi

It was inevitable ever since the introduction of congestion charging in London followed by the "emission zone". It`s a creeping way of taxing the less well off, off the road system so that the "rich" can have more room to shop.!!!. As for London itself, I wouldn't go anywhere near the stinking place, full of rip-off merchants (Westminster) and with a dreadful "Public" transport system to boot!! If you are a delivery driver it`s a nightmare, stop even for a few min; to make a drop and you get a"ticket"!!!. What it needs is flattening and turning into farmland!!. move the Capital to the Midlands or maybe offshore!!

Before I sold it ,it would have cost me £200-00 per day to take my R-V into (say) Crystal Palace Camp site!!. Not going to happen, Greedy B`s. I pity anyone who HAS to live there!!

I imagine that most Londoners, me included, are quite pleased that you don't visit

laimeduck - 2012-11-13 11:17 PM

Hi

I imagine that most Londoners, me included, are quite pleased that you don't visit

I'm a Londoner, and I agree with him, Glad I moved away, the place has gone to the 'Loads a Money' dogs. (not the isle of). Ray

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2012-11-14 7:52 PM

laimeduck - 2012-11-13 11:17 PM

Hi

I'm a Londoner, and I agree with him, Glad I moved away, the place has gone to the 'Loads a Money' dogs. (not the isle of). Ray

Ditto ;-).................born in Stepney, lived on the Isle of Dogs, worked there on occasion for many years.......when red Ken brought in the congestion charge, I used that as the reason to stop working for a shop in Chelsea, it was always a right pain in the bum to do any work down there, not worth the extra I charged :D.............

I'll still deliver in side the M25 if wanted ;-)..................but I charge 200 quid for the privilege >:-)

Sorry I disagree with all of you about London.

It is the most vibrant, enjoyable city in the world bar none. Yes it's big, yes it can be dirty, yes it can be intimidating, but it is exciting, admirable, exhilarating, educational, inspiring and by & large safe.

If you don't like it, well that's just too bad , you are loosing out.

I love it!

:-D :-D

London>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bargepole>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Me

And I am from Camberwell. It was nice and friendly once. Now it's a filthy tacky dump where no-one gives a toss about anyone. :D

Archived