Spanish Introduce Tourist Tax

Mike B.

Just been informed that Catalonia have introduced a tourist tax as from 1st November 2012 which is variable depending on accomodation. For Campsites it is €0.75c per person per day in Barcelona area and €0.50c per person per day in the rest of Catalonia. Maximum 7 days if you stay in one place but if you're touring........

With the state of the Spanish economy this is the first region but don't suppose it will be the last to introduce a tourest tax to raise funds.

That's a pint of Stella per week less for me this winter :-(

Mike

Cheryl-I got an email from ACSI this morning to say the tax had been introduced for camping-pm me your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Peter, as I keep saying it's hard to live off the interest and may well have rent out the East wing or sell some shares to fund the winter trip. Unlike you rich people, or 'Toffs' as you are known we working class find 40p increase a lot of money. However, as you will be in the area around the same time as us perhaps you could pay for 1 pint of Stella or San Miguel for me per day to make up the shortfall?

Failing that, just leave a bottle of Amerretto by our van for Jackie.

Mike

I can't understand the concern. People pay a bomb for motorhome and diesel all the way to spain, then moan about paying something towards the upkeep of the area they are visiting. Don't be so tight, somebody's got to keep Bruce (BGD) in his old age. :D

France has had an 'occupancy tax' ("taxe de séjour") law that (according to Wikipedia) goes back almost 100 years. As far as French campsites are concerned, a taxe de séjour charge is becoming increasingly common, though it's quite often not imposed outside the tourist high season. Details are here http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F2048.xhtml

Cliffy - 2012-11-14 9:26 PMThe more I hear about what is happening in Spain the more I think I will change my plans and go somewhere else,Glad I didn't book the ferry, I will wait and see what happens over the next couple of months.
 I would love to know where this mythical Country  you plan to visit is, you know the one without any problems, please enlighten us, we will all visit there.

Need some clarification. Is this tax on top of the 'local tax' that virtually everywhere adds to your bill? You pay €16 for an ACSI site but there is invariably a tax added of about 30-40 cents per day. The site does not get it, nor does ACSI, it goes to the local town hall. I just wish we would do the same here as all the tourist coming to the UK get a free ride. Edinburgh has talked about it umpteen times but always chickened out, and then we Council Tax payers fund it all.

vindiboy - 2012-11-15 10:42 AM

Cliffy - 2012-11-14 9:26 PMThe more I hear about what is happening in Spain the more I think I will change my plans and go somewhere else,Glad I didn't book the ferry, I will wait and see what happens over the next couple of months.
 I would love to know where this mythical Country  you plan to visit is, you know the one without any problems, please enlighten us, we will all visit there.

I know that all countries have problems and Spain historically has not had too many but it currently is getting bad press - street roberry, car jacking, gun crime, street riots, increase in VAT and now imposing tourist tax. No other country gets the negative comments in posts on this forum that Spain does. Danger of getting robbed in supermarket car parks and Aires, Pick pockets in cities.

I would have gone on a beach holiday in Egypt a couple of years ago but I wouldn't now and Spain is starting to go down my list of places to go.

I have not ruled it out but reserve judgement for the time being.

Cliffy - 2012-11-15 10:06 PM

vindiboy - 2012-11-15 10:42 AM

I know that all countries have problems and Spain historically has not had too many but it currently is getting bad press - street roberry, car jacking, gun crime, street riots, increase in VAT and now imposing tourist tax. No other country gets the negative comments in posts on this forum that Spain does. Danger of getting robbed in supermarket car parks and Aires, Pick pockets in cities.

I would have gone on a beach holiday in Egypt a couple of years ago but I wouldn't now and Spain is starting to go down my list of places to go.

I have not ruled it out but reserve judgement for the time being.

Don't come.

Stay in "safe" England.

(Oh, that'd be the country with enormously higher general crime rates, enormously higher robbery rates, enormously higher vehicle theft rates, enormously higher violent crime rates, and enormously higher taxation rates, than Spain).

BGD - 2012-11-15 11:39 PM

Don't come.

Stay in "safe" England.

(Oh, that'd be the country with enormously higher general crime rates, enormously higher robbery rates, enormously higher vehicle theft rates, enormously higher violent crime rates, and enormously higher taxation rates, than Spain).

Oh for goodness sake give it to us straight please :$ :$

Don't come.

Stay in "safe" England.

NOT NOW !! we have Police commissioners now !

(Why does that make me think of Batman, Robin and Commissioner Gorden ?)

:D

Rgds

Don't come.

Stay in "safe" England.

Well BGD

The lady doth protest too much, methinks!!!!!!!

The dummy has been spat out again.

French tourist tax is about €1 a day a person if you stay on sites. Sometimes it is included in site fees and sometimes it is shown as an extra- probably because of VAT. So anybody using a French site for the past 10 years will have been paying it. PS Dont mention it to George Osborne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived