Tow ball bike carriers

hymer1942

My biking mate has one on his car that just slips over the ball and pushes the cross stay down, quick and easy to fit and to put the bikes on.

That said he says he has to keep an eye on it as it slips round with two bikes, even with one on it can do the same unless it is really tight.

My son in law has one which has a socket spanner operated clamp that has been no trouble and he travels miles with his bike on it. It is marginally more difficult to fit and it needs a tool but definitely worth the significant extra cost, especially if it is on the back of the motorhome and you cannot see what is going on.

I have one the similar as cliffy's son in law and have been to germany and back with no problems. It also tilts back to allow locker to be opened with bikes on. It folds in half and goes in a bag for storage.

hymer1942 - 2012-11-14 8:36 PM

Evening all has anyone had good experience with the above, I am thinking of getting one for the simple reason if I change my van it won't go with it. I have 2 e bikes. Barrie

Hi Barrie,

They work a treat if adjusted right in the first place.

I`ve had the " Thule " version with built in lights and number plate holder and used it on

both the van and the car.

That was the reason i went for that type so i could swap it between the two.

The only thing you need to consider is the " Carrying Capacity " of the carrier.

E-Bikes tend to be heavier than normal bikes even with the battery / batteries removed.

Hope this helps

Regards.

Graham.

E bikes tend to be longer so make sure the one you buy is wide enough for them. I've a Thule for my conventional bikes. The lock has broken twice as it grounded in the same place on roadworks in Barcelona but that was because I set the rack too low so my bikes would fit under a back box. For most people that would not be a problem.

Thule do a specific rack for e bikes but it's expensive.

Guest JudgeMental
make sure its not fitted to low as will snag on ramps, inclines etc... followed a camper of ferry in Croatia this summer and he ripped the guts out of his. some towbars have an adjustable plate

Hi We have one of the Bike Carriers you mention (EBay £15) it works fine, we use it on the car and the van, but when on the van we do also tie the bikes to the ladder in case they move, we have not had any problems so far, cheap and easy way to carry two bikes, but would be extra careful with ebikes as I think the extra weight might make them more susceptible to moving.

Val

Hi, we have the Thule 3 bike version with number plate and lights that clamps on the towball. We carried 2 Ebikes on it .

It is pretty heavy on it's own, and you end up with a lot of weight a long way out the back.

My advice is to find a way of fitting a much lighter Fiamma type to the back wall, that's what we did.

AGD

Guest JudgeMental
fiamma unlikely to have the capacity to carry 2 ebikes....I have the 50kg Thule Omni sport 2 door for vans. On my second (replaced due to faults, 2nd no better) and they are rubbish, wish I had bought a tow bar rack

Guest JudgeMental
Cliffy - 2012-11-14 9:55 PM

My son in law has one which has a socket spanner operated clamp that has been no trouble and he travels miles with his bike on it. It is marginally more difficult to fit and it needs a tool but definitely worth the significant extra cost, especially if it is on the back of the motorhome and you cannot see what is going on.

what make is this one plse?

We also have the Thule Ebike tow ball cycle rack. Covered 4500 miles with no movement at all, only problem we've had is finding a good quality bag to cover them completely. At the Dusseldorf show , a new company were showing a prototype. I did take his card, but not made contact yet.

We have looked at the uk manufactured one, but find the material to heavy.

Den

Hi Hymer,

We carry 2x e bikes on a thule euro tow ball mounted carrier, a brilliant bit of kit IMO. It is especially designed for elec. bikes-- weight and spacing. Seems really solid when loaded which is easy as it even comes with a runner for assistance in loading bikes on if necessary. Do yourself a favour and take a look, maybe not the cheapest but worth the difference.

good luck.

cheers

derek

Guest JudgeMental
hymer1942 - 2012-11-15 11:01 PM

Judge are you saying your not happy with a THULE. Barrie

Yes but only had experience of the one for 2 door panel vans. Derek Pringles tow bar model is the one I should have gone for....my bikes are lighter then yours and if you have a tow bar already its a no brainer IMO

JudgeMental - 2012-11-15 11:52 AM

Cliffy - 2012-11-14 9:55 PM

what make is this one plse?

It was a Hollywood Rack. He thinks it was a HR1000 but not sure as he has not got it now. He now has a VW T5 Camper which came with a T5 Rack

Archived