12 volt probes to stop waste tap freezing

bennybenny

bennybenny - 2012-11-15 3:39 PM

Hi please can anyone advise where to purchase these 12 volt probes we used to have on our Autotrail. We need them for our Hymer waste tap. They are 12 volt themostat probes to keep the external part of the tap from freezing. Please help (d73andn69@hotmail.com)

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

I think you may be looking for 12V defrost elements for your Hymer's waste-water tank. Assuming that's the case, these can be obtained from CAK Tanks

http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

and are shown at the top of the first page of this extract from their brochure

http://62.128.151.219/Library/A1rfln/CAKTANKSCARAVANACCES/resources/20.htm

Another option that avoids drilling holes in the waste-water tank is to use a 'heat pad'. This is bonded to the underside of the tank and, because the pad will always be below the level of any water in the tank (which won't necessarily be the case with probe-type elements), should be more effecttive. Examples the "Ultraheat" pads are described here:

http://www.caktanks.com/CAK%20-%20Clearance%20Centre.htm

It might be a good idea to check with CAK regarding current availability and prices of all the above products.

Thank you so much for this information. These probes worked in a ski resort of -20 when we had the Autotrail but when we bought our Hymer we were told it was winterised and we didn't need them but it was incorrect (the usual salesmen not using them or knowing what is required), need we say anymore the Hymer is not winterised so we need to make it that way.

Thank you very much for this information, can't wait to read it

bennybenny - 2012-11-15 8:02 PM

Thank you so much for this information. These probes worked in a ski resort of -20 when we had the Autotrail but when we bought our Hymer we were told it was winterised and we didn't need them but it was incorrect (the usual salesmen not using them or knowing what is required), need we say anymore the Hymer is not winterised so we need to make it that way.

Thank you very much for this information, can't wait to read it

But, I understand the experienced don't allow waste water to accumulate during low temperatures. They leave the waste dump valve open and put a bucket under the outlet. They empty the bucket every evening, to prevent forming a large lolly! Unless the waste tank is within a heated double floor, and the outlet directly beneath that, any exposed pipework between the tank and the valve will freeze whether or not the waste tank itself is heated. -20C with wind will draw the heat away far quicker than any tank heater can get it back to the vulnerable bits. If you know you'll be on EHU all the time you may get away with it if the weather is not too severe, and you can build a snow wall around the van to stop the wind whistling beneath it. However, if no hook-up is available and the weather gets rough, I think the bucket probably offers the best way of avoiding a frozen outlet.

Hi Benny

As you are asking about 12v heater elements, I guess you may not be going to a site/aire with EHU.

As they would need to be operating 24/7 they could prove a heavy drain on your leisure battery.

So, IMO Brian's solution of a bucket would be your best option.

nb. It's not a good idea to put your e-mail address in an open public forum.

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply, we have been ski-ing for 20 years using our motorhomes and yes we do keep a bucket underneath to collect the waste water but none comes out because the tap freezes unless you have these probes which worked on our Autotrail.

Cannot help with the probes Benny but interesting remark you made. The British Built Autrotrail worked better than the much vaunted German built Hymer in winter conditions, or have I intrepreted that wrong? I am off sking on 5 January for five weeks, not in the van, hope the snow arrives in quantity during December.

I don't have a waste tank - on purpose.

How about removing it altogether and draining directly into a caravan style collector? Putting salt in that should ensure you can always empty it. Every pipe and fitting you'll ever need can be obtained at CAK (and others) and they aren't expensive.

You'll liberate some extra storage too.

Hi rupert123 you are correct, the Autotrail coped, we were told that the German built Hymer was fully winterised but it wasn't as it doesn't have a double floor. Heating system poor unless on gas which as you can imagine is soon used in ski resorts so we have to take an electric radiator with us. Many stories to tell about wild camping and using heating that only has blown air, instant flat battery thus solar panel required or generator that sinks in the snow!! Have a great time ski-ing and fingers crossed for plenty of snow this year

If you are no doubt on EHU then the best way to go is to establish heating cables where you need them-in pipes to run water through a heated area.I use these in gutters that freeze the condensate pipe from my boiler system and along the entry pipe connected with cable clips.

You could push one all the way up fall pipes or glue to water tank on the tank direct and cable clip to supply pipes so standing water is always liquid.

The kit includes everythig you need and all you have to do is get the right heat for the job required.

They come in 3 sorts--10 watts /M 20 and 30 ditto.so v. low current.

They work by surrounding the mains wires in conductive carbon foam and last for ever.

If you fancy a look go to www.first-traceheating.co.uk/ranges_trace.asp

Archived