January to Spain Snow Chains?

Iain Strachan

There are times in winter when the Police announce that on certain stretches of certain roads in Spain (mostly, but not always, through mountain passes) the use of snow chains is compulsory; and they'll stop and turn back any vehicle from proceeding further if it isn't fitted with them.

In practice this is very rare, except in those stretches of high mountain roads where you KNOW it's gonna snow loads anyway.

Having said that, we've lived here in Spain for 10 years, we chug all over the country all year round, and I don't possess any snow chains at all.

We simply avoid high hill/mountain passes and hug the Eastern/Southern coastal routes down through the country during harsh weather conditions.....Perpignan/Barcelona/Valencia/Alicante/Murcia etc.

I was stopped by police at the roundabout before the road through Andorra one November when there was a sudden snowfall as we were heading that way. They were making everyone without chains turn back but did let us head for the tunnel, so we were OK.

As Bruce said the coast road will be fine, but the middle of France gets very cold so you could get delayed there if there was a heavy fall. The main roads should be cleared quickly.

We did a run for the sun a few years ago down to Spain..we were lucky the only snow we saw was on the tops of the mountains in the distance....Apparently the snow followed us a couple of days later but we experienced none at all..just luck I guess...we never had any chains at all and were never stopped any where either by the Spanish cops or the gendarmes..

I have been through the snow on a high mountain pass, I had no chains, luckily the snow blower was in front of me cutting a swathe through drifts about 5 meters deep. This was by Andorra in March so it can snow heavily even that late. Now I use the tunnels and lower roads, it's not so stressfull!

H

thebishbus - 2012-11-16 5:34 PMI see that the French are now allowing snow socks instead of chains. I wonder if the Spanish do as well, lighter thing to carry than chains. Brian B.

I'm pleased to hear this.  Can you let us know where to find the official information please.It would be useful to have it printed off just in case. We go on a ski trip each year and have chains, never used in anger, fortunately, but we're changing the van next year and will then have chains for 16inch wheels surplus to requirements, so we can then buy snow socks for 15inch wheels

Hi Minstrel .When I bought my snow socks from "Autosock" they provided a certificate of conformity for France, as they state that France now accepts them. "Autosock" do recommend chains for extreme conditions though, and they may be needed for the Alps. Although last winter when returning down from skiing in the Alps , we did see vehicles using snow socks.

Brian B.

Hi Tricky

We are heading the same way at the same time but will follow a different route .

We came back Valencia- Lourdes in March last year via Teruel; Huesca, Jaca and found a bit of snow even then. Some parts are quite mountainous so I would expect a lot of snow in January. The roads on the French side approaching Sominport are also quite narrow, mostly single carriageway.

We will be taking the west coast route through france and heading for Bordeau and Bayonne after Poitiers, crossing the border just after a night at the campsite in Urrugne. We will then head to Burgos, Arranjuez & Albacete before heading to Benidorm. I would expect to see some snow between Burgos & Madrid but should be ok after that. I think that the further west you travel the less chance of snow & ice, both in France & Spain. We stopped at a great site in Riaza north of Madrid but could only get in by following a snowplough. Generally however the Spanish are very good at keeping their roads clear of snow.

have a good trip, might see you there

bob

thebishbus - 2012-11-18 10:47 AMHi Minstrel .When I bought my snow socks from "Autosock" they provided a certificate of conformity for France, as they state that France now accepts them. "Autosock" do recommend chains for extreme conditions though, and they may be needed for the Alps. Although last winter when returning down from skiing in the Alps , we did see vehicles using snow socks. Brian B.

Many thanks

A wise decision, I think, though there is a general perception that cheap snow chains are not a sound investment. When you need them, you need them, and they have to work. Make sure to fit and remove them before you set off. If you do have to fit them, it will be in snow (they are generally banned on clear roads) and it will be cold! Not a good time to discover you don't know how they fit - or even that they don't!

The simple answer to your question is that it will be winter, you have to cross, or pass close to, the Pyrenees, and that on certain roads chains are compulsory if it is snowy. So, if the long range forecasts prove accurate, and are applicable to France/Spain, there is a risk the chains will, indeed, be "needed" somewhere. Depending on the route you choose, you should also be aware that ice is a risk over much of the distance, so check tyre condition. There are signs warning of black ice at least as far south as Bordeaux in France, and central Spain is high and can be extremely cold. It will, after all be winter, and weather is weather, and seems to me to be getting less predictable. So, good luck with getting out of Scotland, and through England, especially Kent! :-)

Finally, many camp sites will be closed and, on many aires, if it is cold, the water will be turned off. Make sure your gas reserves are kept high and, unless it is insulated/heated, empty your grey waste tank whenever possible, but at least daily. A large block of frozen waste water will take a long time to thaw! If you take all those precautions, it is pretty much guaranteed to be sunny all the way!

Thanks Iain for the info about the snow chains at Lidl. We have for seveal years travelled through France and Spain in early January. We have only encountered snow once in France, ten years ago and for the first time last year in Spain. We take the western route through France and head through Madrid (where we had the snow last year) to Malaga area. This year we are by-passing France and taking the ferry to Santander. After last year, I am no longer complecent about snow in Spain!

John

Archived