Autocruise Accent Switch off

Rees

The Autocruise Accent is fitted with the Truma Combi 4 E. Recently we stayed overnight in a small camp site with electric hookup. The Truma heater worked well on electricity in the evening before we went to bed. Next morning it failed to work either on electricity or gas. Next morning I took the van to the local main Autocruise dealer in Bridgend, near Cardiff.

The Service Dept there stated that that the Sargent EC400 box would switch off the mains power if there was a 'flick (mains surge or some other unusual feature)' in the mains supply during the night.

They stated that the heater could be restarted by pressing the main system shutdown for a few minutes and then waiting for the software to reboot itself before switching on again. Starting the engine of the van would also reboot the software. When I arrived home I connected the van to the household mains and the heater worked on electricity and on gas.

Has anyone had experience of this? How long should I have to wait for the reboot to happen? I have failed to find anything on this in the handbook for the Truma heater or in the van handbook.

I have an 'ongoing' problem with our Truma Combi 4E, (in a new Autotrail Motorhome) it was very unreliable on our 2 weeks away, whilst 'trialing' our new van, unfortunately we had to come home early as i was taken ill, (asthma) often going into 'Shutdown' during the night, The Van,not me,(making the ideal conditions for me to get worse). so, wake up very cold with red light flashing on control, No error code (evidently thats actually on the PCB on the heater itself, and unhelpfully it's in 'Morse code' , and once it's reset the code is lost ( IT equipment was more sophisticated 30 years ago !!) one fault was found by the Dealer, a faulty 'room sensor' connector. But it is still not fixed properly, When trying to put on the heating, on Electricity only, I get a 'Red light' flashing (and presumably SOS being flashed by the PCB, if ONLY the 'Carpathia' was closer !!) is there a 'Morse v English' translation for the error codes anywhere on the 'net', as i am now at home, a long way away from my dealer.(silly me). Ray

I also find the Autotrail/Truma/Sargeant manuals a bit 'vague' when it comes to faults and the above 'reset' is news to me. I have a Sargeant EC480.

Found a lot of referances to Combi problems on Google, but most of the links to the 'BlinkCodeListe'

just go to a broken truma link. However found a 'cached' version and printed it off.

seems there have been a few problems with PCB's over the years, and lots of 'removing the 12v fuse and replacing it, fixed the problem' (temporarily !!). we shall see. ray

is it time to fire the rockets captain ?

The Sargent EC400 feature you've described won't be present on many other electrical systems, so it would be optimistic to expect Truma to have taken it into account.

Truma's Operating instructions for the Combi 4E suggest that, if the 230V supply is interrupted, just restoring the 230V supply should automatically clear the 'fault'. Otherwise, if the heater fails to clear a 'fault' automatically, switching the heater off at the control-panel switch, waiting 5 seconds and switching the heater back on, should reset the heater's system.

If it happens again I suggest you do what's necessary with the Sargent unit to allow 230V power to be restored; switch off the heater and wait for a while; then switch it back on and see what happens.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-16 10:08 AM

The Sargent EC400 feature you've described won't be present on many other electrical systems, so it would be optimistic to expect Truma to have taken it into account.

Truma's Operating instructions for the Combi 4E suggest that, if the 230V supply is interrupted, just restoring the 230V supply should automatically clear the 'fault'. Otherwise, if the heater fails to clear a 'fault' automatically, switching the heater off at the control-panel switch, waiting 5 seconds and switching the heater back on, should reset the heater's system.

If it happens again I suggest you do what's necessary with the Sargent unit to allow 230V power to be restored; switch off the heater and wait for a while; then switch it back on and see what happens.

Good old P.O.R. not much changes does it (well, yes it does actually). I was telling customers to 'power it off, wait 10 seconds, then power it back on again' 30 years ago in the IT industry.

Good to see that systems in Motorhomes are at the forefront of technology. (sarcasm,sorry). Ray

10 seconds was to allow volatile memory to clear completely.

Archived