Advice: German markets and 1st trip abroad

sean.clarke

Hi,

It is my first year of owning a MH and I am tempted to venture to the continent for a weekend break and visit an authentic German Xmas market. I have never driven on the "wrong side", although I have ventured to many places in Europe (just never driven).

Can you guys offer any advice or any markets that are both worth the trip (for a newbie) and not to far from the tunnel - I could of course visit a French market, but I'd like to venture to Germany (unless you guys think it is a bit bonkers for a 1st trip).

I am young(ish) and don't mind a long drive so not too bothered getting there, but of course driving on the right does cause me a little anxiety, but I will have to overcome that at some point....

Guest JudgeMental

weekend or long weekend?

Brugge very nice, and only 1.5 hrs from tunnel. Christmas market not up to German standards apparently (have not been) But its a wonderful historic town for a weekend visit..bring the bikes! :-D

Hi, if your only going for a weekend, you will be driving most of the time, Judges suggestion of Brugge is good, and you can park in the bus station. I find that if you keep checking your mirrors, there is not a problem, make your intentions very clear when changing lanes and you will be fine. Watch at roundabouts in towns as other drivers will come up your left hand side and cut the roundabout. We use the aire at Metz on way to Stuttgart, and Metz is a really nice town. Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

sean.clarke - 2012-11-17 11:19 AM

Hi,

It is my first year of owning a MH and I am tempted to venture to the continent for a weekend break and visit an authentic German Xmas market. I have never driven on the "wrong side", although I have ventured to many places in Europe (just never driven).

Can you guys offer any advice or any markets that are both worth the trip (for a newbie) and not to far from the tunnel - I could of course visit a French market, but I'd like to venture to Germany (unless you guys think it is a bit bonkers for a 1st trip).

I amf young(ish) and don't mind a long drive so not too bothered getting there, but of course driving on the right does cause me a little anxiety, but I will have to overcome that at some point....

If you go to Germany sone towns or cities are green Zones which means you will need an Umwellplakette A badge that you display on your windscreen to show your vehicle meets the emission requirements for that particular city. You MH will meet all city requirements but you still need to get the plakette.

See http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/englis_informations.php

Being new to taking the MH to Europe I would do as sugested and stick to Brugge or Ghent which I hear is better than Brugge now. But I don't know what the xmas markets are like.

Don't worry about driving in Europe. I have more problems when I come back to the UK due to the amount of traffic and the bad driving habits here. The tip about making good use of your mirrors is a good one. Another is when on motorways keep in the inside lane unless overtaking or another vehicle is filtering in from the right. They will expect you to move over for them.

Have a good trip

Cliff

Brugge is one of our favourite destinations in Europe but the two Christmas markets are not great. The ice sculpture exhibition outside the station from the end of Nov until Christmas is usually spectacular. If you want to go to a real German Christmas Market the nearest to the Channel ports is Aachen which is one of our favourites. The stellpatz here is very good and accepts caravans as well as MH, more of a "do it yourself" campsite which costs €15 this year. At the weekend in Dec they put 3 motorhomes/caravans on 2 pitches. The markets at Valkenburg, just a few miles away in the Netherlands are very different, being underground in caverns and Masstricht a bus or train journey away is a lovely city with a good Christmas market.. We may see you there as all three are on our list this December.

Carl

....if you are considering a trip into Germany, you may wish to be aware of the rules on the use of winter or all-season tyres, summarised here.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/winter-tyres-and-snow-chains.html

Given your motorhome, you may be lucky, and have tyres that are compliant (AFAIK, the latest Michelin Agilis Camping are), but it is worth a check.

Thanks for the info Carl.

Presently we are looking at extending it to a long weekend and heading to Aachen for a day and night, then on to Cologne the next afternoon and evening then returning to UK the following day.

I am looking into what we need - green badge/winter tyres/spare bulbs/fluorescent jackets/deflectors

I guess the biggest thing to scupper it is the tyres, do AutoTrail/Fiat fit all weather tyres?

sean.clarke - 2012-11-20 10:19 PM

I guess the biggest thing to scupper it is the tyres, do AutoTrail/Fiat fit all weather tyres?

On a 2012 vehicle there is a good chance you will have Michelin Agilis Camping fitted (which, as I say AFAIK, are compliant)

Most other OE fitments that might have been used are less likely to comply.

BTW, I hope all is OK, and you enjoy yourself. Once you've done it once, the World (or at least, Europe) will be your Oyster.

For many drivers, the biggest issue is starting off after a long break and taking the wrong side of the road (I've only done it once, in Norway :$, but luckily there were no other vehicles in the immediate vicinity, which in itself contributes to the likelihood). Some will place, say, a towel or similar over the steering wheel on parking up, in order to remind them when they subsequently set off (at least of something :-) )

Thanks four the info on the tyres, from the MHF forum someone had asked the manufacturer and received a reply:

===============================

Thank you for your enquiry about mud and snow markings.

I can confirm that the Mud and snow marking on the Agilis 2 Camping tyre conforms to European winter tyre laws. Please be aware however that some countries have a legal requirement that for the tyre to be classed as a winter tyre the tread depth must be 4mm or above. When the tread depth drops to below 4mm then the tyre is classed as a summer tyre and therefore the M+S marking is no longer applicable

================================

We'll see how I get on with the driving, we plan on not booking (is that silly?) So if we encounter problems on the way we can stop short at Brugge, Brussels or similar.

Archived