MMM magazine Quality and Accuracy

Wills Wagon

Guest pelmetman
Iain Strachan - 2012-11-21 5:03 PM

I have a Brownie in the attic too.

8-) 8-) 8-).................call Brown Owl..............we've found them (lol) (lol)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-21 6:54 PM

Iain Strachan - 2012-11-21 3:23 PM

...You also mention that you don't try to get things published because your just a snapper...

No, the main reason I don't write for magazines is because I'm lazy.

Terrible thing laziness :-(.............I've got it bad :D

I used to write freelance for a series of Model Car Magazines in the UK, The USA, Australia and New Zealand. I'm told that the readers always looked forward to my scribblings with glee because I always told the truth which was happily allowed by some brave Editors regardless of the protests of some advertisers. One such editor once sensibly said that the readers bought the magazine for the editorial content not the adverts. He maintained that a magazine which simply supported the advertisers would lose credibility.

I,ve been regularly reading MMM, in its various formats since I discovered it in the late '60s. It's title then was if my memory serves me correctly was "Motor Caravan and Camping", ran from there home by John and Audrey Hunt. Their daughter, Penny Smith was off course still contributing to MMM, until relatively recently.

Maybe the enthusiasm of youth had something to do with it, but the magazine was at it's best in those days. One example of John's attention to detail was his road tests. By the time he retired, this detail even included the inerior measurements of the gas lockers, (including the door size). It was a sad day when he retired, and I regard him as the most successful of all the editors.

I still enjoy reading MMM every month, (some months more than others), and will miiss the monthly fix from Andy Stothert. However, I do find that recently, I tend to now look forward too, and enjoy PMH just as much, I am toying with the idea of changing my subscription to digital,but after all these years I don't suppose I'll ever give it up.

Well, I'll let you all into a secret ... although I subscribe to MMM I haven't actually read the last few issues ... not at all, not even a peek. 8-)

I, for whatever reason, just am not 'in the mood' for reading magazines, preferring instead to do my puzzle books, the last MMM I read I remember I wasn't that interested in ... now, this doesn't mean that there was anything particularly wrong with the magazine (although the more frequent grammatical and spelling errors were irritating at times), it was just that there wasn't anything in particular that spurred me on to want to read the next one .... Unusual maybe, but occasionally I 'fall out of love' with magazines (done the same before) but then I'll get back into them with a vengeance! :D

I am sorry, however, to learn that Andy isn't going to be writing each month as I always enjoy his pieces the most! :-D

AndyB - 2012-11-22 4:49 PM

The magazine is pretty good.

The forum is pretty poor.

Bye

Andy

I agree. The forums have gone dowhill since they became 'open' in 2005 and, during recent months, have entered free-fall. Warners should reintroduce a Warners magazines subscribers-only policy, plus an on-line intelligence-test to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I stopped reading the mag simply because of the banal platitudes that supposedly constituted 'van tests, which almost invariably comprise a ubiquitous white box or slight variation on a PVC theme. There's only so much that can be said about habitation doors being on what some unquestioning bod arbitrarily deems the 'wrong' side, and the colour of faux curtains - and I got fed up with reading such wish-wash.

The remaining stuff didn't compensate enough to hold me, though some reader-travel and the 'living with a' articles were pretty compelling, probably because they were more of a reflection of reality than something out of a journos head under an obligation to pad out column inches without upsetting the 'vans converter.

It's not a bad mag though; it must be hard to pitch it so there's something there for everyone and I'm quite sure there are restrictions at work that most casual critics don't appreciate.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-23 10:12 AM

Bye

Andy

I agree. The forums have gone dowhill since they became 'open' in 2005 and, during recent months, have entered free-fall. Warners should reintroduce a Warners magazines subscribers-only policy, plus an on-line intelligence-test to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Can you define intelligence for me Derek? :-S

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-11-23 12:48 PM

pelmetman - 2012-11-23 12:32 PM

He probably could ...... but only in a way you wouldn't understand. ;-)

In that case then.........when the test comes in I'd better cheat :D........................it worked before, I have a grade 3 cse in history ;-) ........................gawd knows where I would of ended up without it :-S

Bye

Andy

You might try this on-line test and see how you get on ;-)

http://www.stupidtester.com/

pelmetman - 2012-11-23 12:58 PM

In that case then.........when the test comes in I'd better cheat :D........................it worked before, I have a grade 3 cse in history ;-) ........................gawd knows where I would of ended up without it :-S

Wanna copy my answers ?

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2012-11-23 2:16 PM

Wanna copy my answers ?

That's what I did last time..................which is why I only got a grade 3 *-)............that numpty kid has probably blighted my chance of ever getting a proper job 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-11-23 3:01 PM

747 - 2012-11-23 2:16 PM

Wanna copy my answers ?

That's what I did last time..................which is why I only got a grade 3 *-)............that numpty kid has probably blighted my chance of ever getting a proper job 8-)

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-23 1:56 PM

Bye

Andy

You might try this on-line test and see how you get on ;-)

http://www.stupidtester.com/

I'm not daft enough to fall that Derek *-).................I'm not stupid ;-)............I'm an idiot :D

crinklystarfish - 2012-11-23 10:33 AM

I stopped reading the mag simply because of the banal platitudes that supposedly constituted 'van tests, which almost invariably comprise a ubiquitous white box or slight variation on a PVC theme.....

I think you will find not 'upsetting' any current or potential commercial traders is paramount so will only print 'nice things'. ;-)

If you really want to know about a particular model/make of van you are better off asking those who either own or have owned, the model you are considering. You won't get plain simple honest straight forward opinions from a magazine with a commercial interest at heart.

I know, and I understand the reasons why publications like MMM can't, given the scale of their operation, ever be in a position where they are actually able to give truly critical reviews. As Brian K has previously written, they would very quickly have no 'vans submitted for test and a much-reduced advertising revenue. They would be squeezed dry.

This assumes that the journos actually have enough knowledge and experience to critically evaluate a product anyway, and I suggest whilst some could, many can't.

And so we get pages of insipid waffle. Tricky one to fix.

Archived