Reversing Camera

Grumpy Grandad

If you can identify the video input on the display unit you could connect a video source IE a video camera with a composite video output connector to these terminals (cable disconnected) and see if you get an image on the display if you do the cab part is o/k, then if its o/k in the cab re connect the cable and try it from the camera output to test the cable. if its o/k from there its the camera or the camera power supply.

Dave

Hello,

I know very little about camera installations other than the factory Fiat ones but thought I would offer the following...

Does the camera automatically switch on when you engage reverse gear?

Are your reverse lights working?

If not it's the reverse light switch.

If you have a 2002 to 2006 Fiat chassis it could be something else which I won't go into unless I am onto something here....

That is all I have and I hope it is relevant. If not; sorry.

Nick

Hi Nick.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I have not checked my reversing lights yet. But the camera can be switched to either coming on when reverse is engaged or on permanently, which I prefer. Then it is just the same as a rear view mirror. I don't particularly want to go to the expence of a new set-up if mine just has a silly little fault.

Stuart :-D

Dr Dave suggestion of using a video camera/camcorder would test the monitor. Also test the power feeds.

Does the monitor turn on?

If yes can you select the menus/

With the monitor powered on is the screen blue or black?

If blue you probably have no video feed from the camera.

Is there power to the camera? check with a multimeter. If the camera has night-vision check to see if the LEDs are light.

We had a similar problem, found that the short electrical lead out of the screen which had a connecter on, which then connected to the main cable going to the camera at back of van, kept coming apart causing the screen to go dead i traced the cable into the fuse area beneath the dash board where the connectors met, i tried taping the two together, but they kept coming apart ! i ended up taking the connectors off and soldering the wires together problem cured, could be worth tracing your cable under the lower dash just in case you have the same!

Archived