Just wondering ...

whatsupdoc

747 - 2012-11-20 8:18 AM

My insurance is with the C & CC, they give 180 days. I went with them for cost reasons but their package is an excellent one. I have never had to make a claim but I believe that they are very good when you need them.

Thanks - I'll see what they say.

Guest pelmetman
whatsupdoc - 2012-11-20 8:41 AM

747 - 2012-11-20 8:18 AM

My insurance is with the C & CC, they give 180 days. I went with them for cost reasons but their package is an excellent one. I have never had to make a claim but I believe that they are very good when you need them.

Thanks - I'll see what they say.

Ditto :-D...........

Hi,

Most policies state unoccupied for up to a number of days - i.e. 30 or 60 days.

Occupied is I believe defined as someone sleeping overnight in the property, it does not have to be you. The clock 30/60 days starts again. So if you have someone who can sleep overnight then you will be covered.

A good way to prove someone has overnighted is to get them to phone using your landline at say 2000 and then 0600 ish next morning even to their own mobile. The unscrupled could of course just make the calls and then sleep at home, but why bother !!

The phone calls could also be made during any visits to your property by friends/family/keyholder during their visits to clear post etc.

Should you be unfortunate to have to claim then your landline records will prove that you have made every attempt to minimise advertising that you are away and that your property is being cared for.

Hope the above helps, a call to your current or any future prospective insurance company will of course give you chapter and verse, not just my word.

Keep travelling - regards - Mike

mike 202 - 2012-11-20 9:38 AM..................Occupied is I believe defined as someone sleeping overnight in the property, it does not have to be you. The clock 30/60 days starts again. So if you have someone who can sleep overnight then you will be covered.

....................Mike

That is a very confident claim, Mike! I hesitate to ask, but do you have that in writing from your insurer, or is it your assumption?

I'm not seeking to nit-pick, just to get clarity on what is a rather important issue.

It's just that doing as you suggest one could leave a property unoccupied indefinitely, while claiming it was "occupied" in the normal sense. Somehow, I rather doubt that the insurer would agree with that interpretation of the clause. It would tend to make the word "occupy" virtually meaningless. Words are included in insurance clauses because of their normally accepted meaning. The High Court beckons, methinks! :-)

Guest pelmetman

Thanks 747 for mentioning The Caravan & Camping Insurance.

I have just had a really competitive quote from them, in fact nearly £200 cheaper than our current insurer.

If you are not a member of the CCC you get automatic cover for 90 days away from home. If you are a member then they will cover you for 180 days away for what they quoted as an extra smallish premium.

SUE

pelmetman - 2012-11-20 11:47 AM

Thanks 747 for mentioning The Caravan & Camping Insurance.

I have just had a really competitive quote from them, in fact nearly £200 cheaper than our current insurer.

If you are not a member of the CCC you get automatic cover for 90 days away from home. If you are a member then they will cover you for 180 days away for what they quoted as an extra smallish premium.

SUE

Bit confused. Are you talking about House/contents insurance? or are you talking about Van insurance/

we have travel ins for 90 days, Van unlimited, need to look at house ins.

PJay

We insure with the CCC as well as you say 180 days in one hit unoccupancy no terms attached either, they just recommend someone picks up the  mail now and again, I have just renewed for the fourth year at a very good price and I have a 25% no claims with them, both our bikes are insured  at all times too as long as chained to something fixed  each bike £250 insured ,a lot of companies only insure bikes if in England.

Thanks Sue

I thought you where, but wanted to check.

Any=one know who else gives longer cover away (House/Contents) i have a feeling that ours is only 6 weeks,. as will need to renew (March)before the new camping season, would like to get some quotes

PJay

Forgot to say, we do have a monitored alarm system

Brian,

Thanks for your comments.

My original offering was given to me by a broker friend, however things change and following your comments, I have just rang my household insurer. It is a pretty grey area, so my insurance has been extended to 60 days. The occupancy thing is vague and the house would have to be occupied in the sense of cooking sleeping and normal household business. The insurer would not go into details unless I had a specific requirement with regard to someone e.g family member or friend, occupying the house for a specified period/periods whilst I was away. So its an extension to 60 days with extra premium for total peace of mind

Hence my suggestion that individuals should seek clarifaction from their particular choice of insurer with regards to their individual needs.

Regards mike

Archived