No Signal

Col

My van is 5 years old with a Teleco Wing aerial on the roof. Up to now we have not been interested in watching Tv when away (so have never tried it out) but are now considering a few trips during this winter and the nights are very long and dark. We bought a new tv and connected it to the aerial through the Teleco booster and then without the booster but all I get is NO SIGNAL. I did this on my driveway, (Liverpool suburbs). What do you think? Is it that the location is unsuitable and it may work elsewhere or has my aerial had it and needs replacing? Hope you can help. Thanks, Col

747 - 2012-11-20 11:42 PM

Have you tried doing a scan for channels. If it is a new TV you will need to do a first time installation.

Also, is it set to digital channels (freeview)?

..when we first took our(then new)tele away,I "F 'n' blinded" for ages trying to the the damned thing to work.....only for it to dawn on me that I hadn't re-tuned it... :$ *-)

Also,DON'T forget to take the remote!...in case it's like our tele,which doesn't have any means of tuning without it.. :-S

pepe63 - 2012-11-21 8:22 AM

747 - 2012-11-20 11:42 PM

Have you tried doing a scan for channels. If it is a new TV you will need to do a first time installation.

Also, is it set to digital channels (freeview)?

..when we first took our(then new)tele away,I "F 'n' blinded" for ages trying to the the damned think to work.....only for it to dawn on me that I hadn't re-tuned it... :$ *-)

Also,DON'T forget to take the remote!...our first little tele didn't have any means of tuning without it..

:-S

You didn`t live in Wigan and work at Heinz a few years back by chance did you ?....LOL

We was on the Sango Sands campsite in Durness and this " Person " in their

brand new Kontiki was on the next pitch to us.

We`d set up and the wife was watching her " Soaps " and the guy came over to me

and asked " How come we had such a good picture ? " because he could see it

through the window.

He`d also noticed that we had the same model TV, the " then new " Avtex 7 in 1.

This was their first trip out in their brand new van, but he`d tried everything at home

first to make sure everything worked.

The TV worked perfectly but, now they had " Absolutely Nothing " and he couldn`t

work out why.

He innocently hadn`t realised that you had to " Re-tune " every time you move to

a different area and that`s all it was.

Every time i saw him for the next 3 days the poor guy just " Blushed and said sorry ".

I sometimes wonder how they went on and your post brought it all back...........LOL

Regards

Graham.

Thanks for the replies, I had already tuned it in in the house using the house aerial and got a perfect picture then tried it in the van in the driveway when I got the NO SIGNAL so I think the TV is working fine. Any other ideas? Thanks, Col

No, not from Wigan and have a Duetto!

I'm not familiar with the Telco booster, but can we assume that the booster is getting it's 12 volt supply ok and that all the various co-ax cables are in their correct sockets?

Have you checked that all the aerial connections are correct and sound as a loose fitting plug or a single strand of the braided shield touching the inner core can cause you a lost signal?

Have you pointed the 'Wing' in the same direction as your 'House' aerial ? also is it vertical or horizontal ? it does matter, especially if 'on the edge' of reception. have'nt got any experience of 'Teleco' aerials , mine have been 'Vision Plus' . Ray

they are not omni-directional.

Rayjsj - 2012-11-21 3:45 PM

Or is it one of these ?

http://www.telecodirect.co.uk/epages/es135063.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es135063/Products/%22TELECO%20Teleplus%20X2%20Double%20Polarity%20Digital%20TV%20Aerial%22

ray

omni-directional ones are all but useless these days.

That's strange, my omni has never worked better. :-D

In fact, I have been able to throw the wire coathanger in the bin.

I have kept my Status 315 (flying saucer) because everyone said the digital signal will be greatly boosted when we are all digital.

Well, I am still waiting. >:-)

Col, as you have checked the TV, and all the van connections as per Trackers post, I think it would be time to look at changing the aerial. We have a status directional aerial system on our van that works very well, far better than omni-directional types. Be aware to that the signals can be broadcast in either horizontal or vertical polarisation. Take a look at your aerial on the roof of the house to see, what you have in your area.

Good Luck

We were on a site near Brecon with very poor reception and most of us were struggling no matter what arial we had. I took pity on one old couple who were struggling with one of those ineffective looking double diamon Avtex arials that look as if they are made of old coat hangers. I remade the connections he had for some reason broken and turned on the power supply to the arial from the TV. I wasn't very hopeful but to my amazment when I pointed it roughly in the right direction and tuned the TV they got all the available channels perfectly whilst the rest of us still struggled. They only work with Avtex TVs as they take their power from the TV but I have heard good reports of them before and indeed they do seem to work very well.

I have found your type of aerial a bit tempermental as well.

1. Have you tried adjusting the amplification to low as well as high. At the C.C. Crystal Palace site where the transmitter is very close setting the amplification to high loses the signal completely, whereas on low we always get a good picture.

2. Have you tried the television with the van facing one way and the other, moving pitches and turning around worked well once for us.

3. Digital Tele is very dependent on good connections. This probably is`nt your problem but on our van I found the outside aerial connection was wired from the satelite i.e. screw connection as opposed to the push on aerial connection, so would suggest you trace your connectors.

Colin Leake - 2012-11-23 8:05 PM

We have found on some sites where the signal is very strong we have to switch the amplifier off completely. The entertainment system built into our AutoTrail is much more sensitive to this than the Avtex we have in the bedroom area.

Now that is at odds, Colin with out Autotrail?

We can get Freeview much better on the avtex than we can with the same directional roof aerial used by the cab system?

Archived