Motorhoming in Tenerife

starvin marvin

Just back from a fly drive for a bit of sunshine, weather was brilliant. Spent some time driving around looking for free camping spots and found a few, there was some Brits there, amongst the mix of northern european motorhomers.

The question is, have any forum users taken their van across to the Canaries? I'm very interested in giving it a go. A couple of months, say Dec & Jan are very appealing. I seem to recall that there was a MMM bod that used to write about the Canaries islands......Mary something or another, perhaps she has gone to that great free camp in the sky.

hi, snap, we've also just come back from a lovely holiday in tenerife,and we noticed there were quite a few more motorhomes there than usual,including a few brits. which you don't often see. whether this is due to the pretty expensive ferry crossing or the lack of campsites who knows.although it looks as if you can pretty much park up anywhere,there doesn't seem to be any of the usual facilites for motorhomes so that could prove to be a problem.i only know of three campsites in the whole of tenerife and at least one of these is awful,not what you get in mainland spain.

Guest JudgeMental

try a search...from memory :-S expensive, about 2k for return crossing from Spain

probably cost half that to rent apartment and fly for a couple of months...

Guest pelmetman

Mary Siddal?........A lady who if I recall carried on traveling after her other half passed on?? :-S........

But as an aside ;-)..............considering that repeats are so fashionable on tv........the MMM archive must be stuffed full of real gems B-).......................even stuff that the young old foggies like me would like to be reminded of ;-)

maybe it's time for a "MMM revisited" section? B-).........

I don't believe it costs as much as is being suggested...but I've not checked yet. I also believe that the crossing from Huelva to Tenerife via Gran Canaria is the quickest crossing, ie only one stop.

Another point I meant to mention was the issue if LPG. There does not appear to be any refill stations on Tenerife, however gas bottles were all Disa, which are either white plastic 7kg or 13kg steel painted a sort of galvanised silver colour. I didn't see any Repsol or Cepsa bottles for exchange.

It appears that getting a bottle is the same as on mainland Spain....flea market, then take it for exchange.

pelmetman - 2012-11-21 9:28 PM

Mary Siddal?........A lady who if I recall carried on traveling after her other half passed on?? :-S........

But as an aside ;-)..............considering that repeats are so fashionable on tv........the MMM archive must be stuffed full of real gems B-).......................even stuff that the young old foggies like me would like to be reminded of ;-)

maybe it's time for a "MMM revisited" section? B-).........

Could this be her now?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/southamerica/argentina/740387/Have-pension-will-travel.html

We are of to Tenerife for Xmas and New Year, The most expensive time to go there, and that will cost us less for a month including food . Cheaper to fly for holiday and hire a car while there, me thinks.

And you get there in 4 hrs.

expensive to go by ferry , as you have to get to southern Spain first.

Would not fancy some of the roads in Tenerife in an a van, but definatley worth a car hire to see all the little places that the coach tours don't go to (which are a rip off any way)

PJay

Archived