Cheap eReader offer (also plays videos!)

Mel B

Just got an email with this offer on it - thought it might interest someone:

USB port for easy copying and managing files using drag and drop

Built in loud speaker

Light weight and incredibly thin

Sculpted back to fit comfortably in your hands

17.8cm (7”) LCD display with LED backlight

4GB internal memory and microSD slot

http://deals.discountvouchers.co.uk/deal/23754/e-reader?utm_source=PublisherDealEmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gc_2012-11-20

I bought yesterday a Kindle Paperwhite 3G. The new Kindle menu system is nice and touch screen is brilliant. I don't like the shadows from the lights at the bottom, they don't really bother me as they don't cover too much text but it should be improved.

Guest JudgeMental
lisaa - 2012-11-22 10:24 AM

I bought yesterday a Kindle Paperwhite 3G. The new Kindle menu system is nice and touch screen is brilliant. I don't like the shadows from the lights at the bottom, they don't really bother me as they don't cover too much text but it should be improved.

That's more like it...

Mel, on another familiar note. My daughter has had 2nd IPhone nicked so my wife gave her a HTC phone (to complex) and it has a hot spot thingy... so she can set up a hot spot on phone and use her laptop anywhere....

JudgeMental - 2012-11-22 11:50 AM

Mel, on another familiar note. My daughter has had 2nd IPhone nicked so my wife gave her a HTC phone (to complex) and it has a hot spot thingy... so she can set up a hot spot on phone and use her laptop anywhere....

Sorry to answer as it was directed to Mel, but yes the HTC can be used as a 'hotspot', least way ours can but the problem arises with the network provider some of which do not allow you to use it as a hot spot with their sim and if you read the smallprint may cut you off completely.

If however you have say 3 network 'One Plan' or some of their other offerings it is completely allowed and is our prefferred method of internet access whilst touring.

Agree with you about the e-reader, as backlit screens are very tiring as book readers, though the Kindle would definately NOT be my first choice for an e-reader. Good we all have differing opinions though!

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Basil..My daughter on a TMobile business contract so unlimited broadband...

so what reader do you prefer?

Dont worry Mel..we have not forgotten your FANTASTIC offer! :-D

Hi but TMobile business plans expressly exclude 'Tethering' which is what making the phone a hotspot does see

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/terms-and-conditions/business/#Full Monty

third paragraph.

I use a Sony reader, doesn't have DRM files as the Kindle does and I find that the superwhite display was better, not sure about the new Kindle display as that may be as good, I don't know not looked! Don't like the Amazon tie in with Kindle or the Retail Price Maintenance that I understood was illegal in the UK! File manipulation is so much easier with the Sony, IMO.

Bas

I am with T-Mobile with HTC wildfire on PAYG which I tether either to my iPad or laptop. Normally I buy a 5 day pass. I am not sure what my usage is but have never been cut off or queried and spend a good bit of time surfing

Have a Kindle App on the iPad and tend to download free books from Amazon

Absolutely nothing wrong with these generic gadgets, they work just as well as the branded items people are brainwashed into buying. Nowadays, most pcb panels and microchips originate from the far east and are used by all major manufacturers.

We bought a generic unbranded unit earlier this year for our european trip, sat nav, e-reader, media player, bluetooth pairing for phone, calculator, video player and a host of other installed software, full European mapping with free lifetime updates, 7 inch screen and 2 year warranty. It took us over 3000 miles without 1 wrong turn.

Cost? £43.00, which is less than the cost of Tom Tom map upgrades for a year.

The version that allows you to input vehicle details, for trucks was about £70, but the one we got allows you to input your vehicle as a car, bike or bus.

My wife has a kindle and it is very good.

However, without the input of others on this site, I would not upgrade my knowledge of similar but cheaper products, likewise using Calibre e-book management to download cd books.

So thank you to those who contribute this info, as I would be even more of a technophobe than I already am :-D

Basil - 2012-11-22 6:46 PM

I use a Sony reader, doesn't have DRM files as the Kindle does and I find that the superwhite display was better, not sure about the new Kindle display as that may be as good, I don't know not looked! Don't like the Amazon tie in with Kindle or the Retail Price Maintenance that I understood was illegal in the UK! File manipulation is so much easier with the Sony, IMO.

Bas

We both have had Sony Ereaders for the last 2 years and agree they are great. No problems at all with reading in low light conditions and also can be used in sunlight. They are not restricted in the formats of Ebooks that can be used.

I've also got my Sony and agree with others that it is a very good reader.

Although there seems to be more and more tendancy for ebooks to be sold for the kindle (mobi format), just download calibre management and you can convert the mobi files to either pdf or epub for your sony.

I also tend to copy all the books from calibre (once format has been changed) to a SD card and put that in the Sony, it's far less hassle than pairing up the reader to my laptop to install books, i can also then use the card in other devices or let others copy the contents.

Just like Apple and their i products, I steer away from devices like the kindle that restrict what I can buy or use on them.

Archived