Awning bracket

Iain Strachan

I had a Fiammia 45s fitted to our van before I took delivery of it, we had, had the same on our previous van and were happy with it. On our last French tour the Pussy cat noticed that Dutch and French vans with the same awning had brackets fitted low down on the side of their vans, which people were putting the legs of the awning into as they wound out the top, on a calm day many were used in this position. I have looked at Fiammia web site and it would appear that these brackets are supplied as part of the kit. So I have asked my dealer, whilst the van is in for its first habitation check to fit same brackets. He has replied that they don't fit them as they blow off when it is windy! He will however give me them to fit at my own risk. What thinks you guys?

These are the small square shaped brackets that are fixed to the bodywork and the legs of the awning slot into them. I did have them with the awning and decided to see how I got on with the legs just free standing and pegged down with straps. After a trip in October I decided not to fit them after seeing the damaged caused to a coach build. The brackets where ripped out of the body work after an extremely high gust of wind down on the med. The wind became so bad a motor launch anchored off the beach dragged its anchor and landed up on the beach. . I also thought that the leg at an angle from the Awning to the van was a hazard and could be walked into especially after a few glasses of wine

Iain Strachan - 2012-11-22 2:02 PM

I had a Fiammia 45s fitted to our van before I took delivery of it, we had, had the same on our previous van and were happy with it. On our last French tour the Pussy cat noticed that Dutch and French vans with the same awning had brackets fitted low down on the side of their vans, which people were putting the legs of the awning into as they wound out the top, on a calm day many were used in this position. I have looked at Fiammia web site and it would appear that these brackets are supplied as part of the kit. So I have asked my dealer, whilst the van is in for its first habitation check to fit same brackets. He has replied that they don't fit them as they blow off when it is windy! He will however give me them to fit at my own risk. What thinks you guys?

I think your dealer has a point, I fitted these brackets on my first van, an Autosleeper Talisman, they work ok, but in any sudden gust they are liable to be ripped out of the side of the van, also you cant get the the 'Full' awning length or height, as you can with the legs placed onto the ground, AND with guy ropes/ tethers in place.

The only advantage is that the 'Outfit' is self contained, ie no 'bits' touching the floor around the van. So probably doesn't infringe the 'Rules' for parking on an 'Aire'. ? otherwise I don't see the point.

The brackets DO come with any new Fiamma awning kit. Ray

One of the benefits of these brackets is that they can be used to put the awning out just about a metre or so on rainy days to give some shelter to the doorway.

I agree with the earlier point that when these brackets are used with an awning that is full out the position of the legs can be an obstruction to pedestrians.

H

We were advised not to attached the brackets to side of van, as could damage the side of the van, suppose you accidently walked into the stay? The weakest point is the bracket. we find it better to fix the awning down with guy ropes and pegs, if need be two straps to each leg. we also put a strap over the awing if we think it is going to be breezy, but take it in at night, to be on the safe side

PJay

Hilux - 2012-11-22 7:54 PM

One of the benefits of these brackets is that they can be used to put the awning out just about a metre or so on rainy days to give some shelter to the doorway.

I agree with the earlier point that when these brackets are used with an awning that is full out the position of the legs can be an obstruction to pedestrians.

H

The reason you state in your first paragraph is the only way that I would suggest these brackets are ever used. I have seen them used with the awning virtually fully extended but it just didn't look right and I hate to think what pressure was being placed on the side of the van. As we have a PVC I can't fit them but if I could it would be useful only for when we wanted a 'small' sheltered area, such as when drying the dogs off after a walk, or when hubby is BBQing in the rain!

The brackets are definitely supplied with the awning so I don't know why the dealer didn't pass them on to you in the first place as they should have, this has always been the case with vans which we've bought new and had an awning put on before we collected it.

Mel B - 2012-11-22 8:15 PM

Hilux - 2012-11-22 7:54 PM

H

The reason you state in your first paragraph is the only way that I would suggest these brackets are ever used. I have seen them used with the awning virtually fully extended but it just didn't look right and I hate to think what pressure was being placed on the side of the van. As we have a PVC I can't fit them but if I could it would be useful only for when we wanted a 'small' sheltered area, such as when drying the dogs off after a walk, or when hubby is BBQing in the rain!

The brackets are definitely supplied with the awning so I don't know why the dealer didn't pass them on to you in the first place as they should have, this has always been the case with vans which we've bought new and had an awning put on before we collected it.

We had the awning put on by the dealer too. Our dealer gave us all sorts of little bits that came with the awning including the said brackets.

Archived