What Do You Do When You Get There?

Paul M Who

So here I am planning out trip for next year.

I've read all the tips and tricks and have now built up a list of POIs of all the Aires gleaned from contributors.

The best way to get around Rouen; the quickest routes to the south of Spain and Portugal.

The western route via Bayonne, the central route across the Millau viaduct, the eastern route down the Med, through or over the Pyrenees, Saragossa or Salamanca, Burgos to Badajoz and all the permutations to get our trusty steed to the Algave or Costa del Sol. And all the way there the Aires are free or very reasonably priced.

But what do you do when you get there?

Sitting in an overcrowded  carpark overlooking the Alboran Sea or the Atlantic with 60 other motorhomes sharing the same toilet, while dodging all the dog poo every time you step out of your MH is not IMHO the ends justifying the means. 

Guest JudgeMental

why would you do that to yourself, just because its some nutter's on here idea of a holiday....

stay on a nice campsites with heated indoor swimming pool etc..for less then 10€ a night, cycle in the warm weather, just get out and enjoy yourselves, visit markets, old towns, restaurants, tapas bars, sightsee, go for walks, historic sites, gallery's , museums...whatever.

we are all dying of damp in our bones here, but as you have much warmer weather and quality of life at home, why are you coming!lol :D

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2012-11-22 11:02 PM

as you have much warmer weather and quality of life at home, why are you coming!lol :D

They measure quality of life on such things as equality of opportunity, employment, housing, education etc - all things that make no difference to the tourist.

In terms of the land itself, I don't think there is anywhere better than Britain.

Because they haven't found a way of taxing the views yet.

Paul M Who - 2012-11-22 10:25 PM ...But what do you do when you get there?...

At the considerable risk of sounding like a stoner: it's all about the journey, if it wasn't, we'd have bought a caravan.

For what it's worth we never get there, we never even have a there. Fair enough there might be some spots we want to hit whilst heading in a rough direction, and when we get to those we do the things we enjoy doing: probably things you'd hate.

Hope that helps.

Motorcaravanning is not about what you do when you get there - that's for tuggers and tenters and some ex tuggers and ex tenters who know no better than to be stuck on the same prebooked spot all week, fortnight or month!!!

Motorcaravanning, for us at least, a never ending journey and any locations that fit your descriptions would be very quickly departed from.

We like fishing, walking, exploring old towns and villages on foot, beaches, coastlines, mountains, forests, and general scenery, just sitting in peaceful surroundings, people watching, chatting and whatever else occurs to us and when we are done at that location be it one hour or several days later we just move on.

Moving on can be as little as a mile or as much as 200 miles - who knows.

The concept is not everyone's idea of fun and can be a little hard to grasp for a newbie but take it from me, by meandering not quite aimlessly but being prepared to take the slow road you do find some wonderful 'undiscovered' locations some of which ought to fit your wishes?

With a little less effort and imagination though you could make your trip fit your perceptions!!

crinklystarfish - 2012-11-23 6:52 PM

It's all about the journey.

For what it's worth we never get there, we never even have a there. Fair enough there might be some spots we want to hit whilst heading in a rough direction, and when we get to those we do the things we enjoy doing

This sound EXACTLY like us.

The question I posed was purely rhetorical and largely in response to a comment on one of the threads which essentially said Camping Grounds were for caravaners and poor people with tents. I couldn't get over how obsessed people were with traveling for free and wondered if their obsession would logically mean they would happily reside in a cesspit on the sea for the sake of saving a buck. Plus I objected to the poor people jibe about tenters.

Thirty seven years ago we travelled all over Europe and N Africa in a car with a tent. All the way to Meski Oasis and Merzouga in Southern Morocco in a brand new BMW 525. We didn't consider ourselves poor tenters. And we stayed in camping grounds everywhere - no Aires back then. They were interesting times - terrorist attack all over the world, political upheavals in Spain and Portugal, the Pound in the toilet - the phrase De JaVu comes to mind. Seems that the more things change the more they stay the same. 

JudgeMental - 2012-11-23 8:02 AM 

We are all dying of damp in our bones here, but as you have much warmer weather and quality of life at home, why are you coming! lol :D

Call it a sense of belonging or the desire to know our ancestral history. Our roots lie in Scotland, Ireland and England but some go further back than that - to the Norman Conquest in fact. Burgione and Molyneux are mentioned in the Doomsday Book so our history has a French Connection.  I have a fascination with history, especially ancient history and where I live there isn't any. Two of my dearest friend in the UK have just published a book on the megalithic structures in Britain and Europe and it is fascinating. Heritage Action has listed it as No.2 on their shopping list for Christmas. It's called The Megalithic Empire.  Some of the places it mentions are on my go to list especially Carnac in Brittany. 

crinklystarfish - 2012-11-23 9:52 AM

At the considerable risk of sounding like a stoner: it's all about the journey, if it wasn't, we'd have bought a caravan.

For what it's worth we never get there, we never even have a there. Fair enough there might be some spots we want to hit whilst heading in a rough direction, and when we get to those we do the things we enjoy doing: probably things you'd hate.

Hope that helps.
For what its worth, Paul, I agree with the above. We don't have a "there" either, but lots of "theres", strung along a route I plan in advance to take us between them.So, last trip to Spain and Portugal, went something like: Guines, Chartres, Chateauponsac, Bazas, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Burgos, Zamora, Braganca, Chaves, Amarante, Porto, Vouzela, Castelo do Bode, Tomar, Constancia, Abrantes, Benavente, Lisbon, Beja, Serpa, Evora, Elvas, Merida, Trujillo, Caceres, Salamanca, Tordesillas, Logrono, Dax, Lauriere, Bracieux, Les Andelys, Montreuil. All interesting places, some more than others, but all worth the visit, but no "there"! Good innit! (lol)

Paul M Who - 2012-11-23 11:41 AM
crinklystarfish - 2012-11-23 6:52 PM

It's all about the journey.

For what it's worth we never get there, we never even have a there. Fair enough there might be some spots we want to hit whilst heading in a rough direction, and when we get to those we do the things we enjoy doing

This sound EXACTLY like us.

The question I posed was purely rhetorical and largely in response to a comment on one of the threads which essentially said Camping Grounds were for caravaners and poor people with tents. I couldn't get over how obsessed people were with traveling for free and wondered if their obsession would logically mean they would happily reside in a cesspit on the sea for the sake of saving a buck. Plus I objected to the poor people jibe about tenters.

Thirty seven years ago we travelled all over Europe and N Africa in a car with a tent. All the way to Meski Oasis and Merzouga in Southern Morocco in a brand new BMW 525. We didn't consider ourselves poor tenters. And we stayed in camping grounds everywhere - no Aires back then. They were interesting times - terrorist attack all over the world, political upheavals in Spain and Portugal, the Pound in the toilet - the phrase De JaVu comes to mind. Seems that the more things change the more they stay the same. 

Yaay I like your thinking

Guest JudgeMental

Our holidays are based around cycling and we both tour and stop, whatever... mainly a combination of both.

This summer gone was 2 weeks at our favourite campsite in Lake Garda. Then 4 weeks touring, Tuscany/Umbria - ferry to Croatia - then Island hopping our way up visiting national parks etc...

in the winter 6 week trip to Benidorm, could easily stay longer..plenty to do, good company and facilities and above all lovely weather.

India for Christmas t, same sort of thing..touring North for 10 days followed by 9 days in Kerela in south to get over the hectic northern part.

we have only managed to get back to a touring since the kids started Uni a couple of years ago....

Paul M Who - 2012-11-22 10:25 PM

But what do you do when you get there?

Sitting in an overcrowded  carpark overlooking the Alboran Sea or the Atlantic with 60 other motorhomes sharing the same toilet, while dodging all the dog poo every time you step out of your MH is not IMHO the ends justifying the means. 

If that's the case you haven't got there.We try to stay on small sites if at all possible, and try to avoid going away in the main holiday season and/or bank holidays. We occasional 'wildcamp' but not to save money, only if we are in a quiet location where there are no local sites, that said at least once a year you will find us parked up on an M5 motorway service station of a friday night, this is not a way of saving money in fact it's getting expensive but it's a means of getting to Cornwall early on a saturday morning and missing the traffic at each end of the journey

Paul M Who - 2012-11-23 11:41 AM

Thirty seven years ago we travelled all over Europe and N Africa in a car with a tent. All the way to Meski Oasis and Merzouga in Southern Morocco

I agree Paul; and I think of our "van" not as a Motorhome, but as a "camper", because if we could comfortably travel with a tent then that would be my preference. And if I wanted to save money on our trips, I wouldn't have spend more than £30K on a "van", and I certainly don't object to paying for campsites. Oh, and I've met plenty of "tuggers" and bikers with tents who are trying to achieve the same things we are!I do prefer to have some "highlights" planned, because we are not very good at drifting around on the off chance that we'll find utopia. If at all possible a circular tour is our preference, but we keep moving, rarely staying in one place for more than 3 days, although; if we found somewhere that suited, we'd stay a month! and adjust the rest of the trip to suit.Enjoy EuropeRegardsalan b

Colin Leake - 2012-11-23 7:48 PM

My wife and I have a well established routeen when we arrive at our destination. It's wonderfully simple. I do what she tells me!

Actually to be truthful we each have our own jobs and within twenty minutes we are camped up ready to have a meal and set off for a walk with the dog.

For us having a campervan is all about simplicity, handbrake on, swivel seat, gas on at manifold, fridge changed from 12v to gas, sorted.

Nowt wrong with tents, use them all the time when push-bike touring. Sometimes on sites, sometimes not. Prefer to be off formal sites where practicable.

When in the truck we only exceptionally rarely use sites - but that's nothing to do with being tight; more about being able to enjoy the lack of humankind. Nothing better than an overnight stop without clapping eyes on another person. Would happily pay twice the rate of the nearest campsite to be left completely, utterly, absolutely, alone.

Our plan from next April after picking up the van in Halifax is 3 weeks touring around Yorkshire Moors, Peaks District and Snowdonia.

Then it's off to Europe. Anzac Day at Villers-Bretonneux after a short stay in Amiens - the labyrinth on the floor of the cathedral is on my must see list.

Then it's Paris - can't go to France an miss Paris, We just love the place.

Then it's a winding route to the south of Portugal and Spain via Carnac in Brittany  then south via La Rochelle, Bordeaux, St Jean de Luz and Santander, then the straight route to Burgos over the coastal mountains past the Ebro reservoir.

Then on to Madrid and Toledo.

We turn west from here and travel via Talavera d/l Reina, Caceres, Badajoz to Lisbon.

Next stop the Algave and Lagos, Sagres and Ayamonte. Then it's off to Romeria de El Rocio and The Donyana National Park. Seville is the next stop then Gibraltar - for a pint or two.

Then to Torremolinos - not where we wanted to stay but it's the closest stop to Malaga where we do want to spend some time. Unfortunately the El Balneario del Carmen camping ground on Calle Bolivia is gone, turned into a beach park. All that remains is the facade of the old entrance and the stucco walls along the road.

Google street view has shattered some of my best memories.

That's what happens in four decades - things change. I wonder if the Spaghetti Western Movie Sets are still there, just off the Motril to Granada road - probably gone as well.  

After Granada we head for Alicante then up the east coast of Spain to Barcelona.

From here it's on to Arles, Aix-e-P, Cannes - we really love this place, don't know why, it just grows on you. Just don't be there for the Film Festival. The place is full of posers and w*****s. And you can't stay in Cannes and not go to Grasse, the fragrance capital of the world.

If we make it this far with time to spare then it on to Lake Maggiore and over the Simplon Pass to Visp, Tasch and Zermatt. From there to Interlaken, then Lauterbrunnen for the rail trip to the Sphinx Observatory at the top of the Jungfraujoch.

We then cross into Germany at Lindau and head for Fussen and Schwangau, then on to another of our favourite cities Munich. From Munich it's up the Romantic Road to Wurzburg then it almost a straight run through Metz and Reims back to Calais.

Well that's the plan.

But I seriously doubt we will get to see it all, given our habit of finding out of the way places and spending more time then we planned in others.

But that's the beauty of touring; what you miss this year you can catch up with next year.

So if any of you are out and about any of these places between April and September next year look out for a  Anthracite WildAx Citroen Relay - The Aurora Australis - just say G'day mate. There may not be a cold tinnie in the fridge or a shrimp on the barbie but there will be a friendly smile and tale to tell.

Archived