Rodents in Motorhome

zak2442

Hi

Just been away for a couple of days in van,whilst away we noticed we have what looks like field mice droppings under seats and in cupboards so looks like we have visitors,anyone got any ideas as to how to get rid of them other than traps wife would go mad if she knew i had killed them,lol.

Traps and Peanut Butter is the only solution the littlle critters can be anywhere they even found one in my Air Cleaner on the last service . You need to strip your motorhome of all bedding / cushions / towels etc so they will have no where to build a nest usually you can smell them as they are incontinent. Other than that invest in one of those electric mouse deterent thingy's whether they work or not I do not know , but traps definately do. We caught 21 last winter, but only 2 recently , but its early days , Good Luck .Just to make sure if they are still about put a piece of chocolate down and sprinkle some talc around it then when they come out for the choccy they will leave little footprints in the talc sounds a stupid idea , but that is how I found I had them.

kelly58 - 2012-11-23 4:29 PM

Traps and Peanut Butter is the only solution the littlle critters can be anywhere they even found one in my Air Cleaner on the last service . You need to strip your motorhome of all bedding / cushions / towels etc so they will have no where to build a nest usually you can smell them as they are incontinent. Other than that invest in one of those electric mouse deterent thingy's whether they work or not I do not know , but traps definately do. We caught 21 last winter, but only 2 recently , but its early days , Good Luck .Just to make sure if they are still about put a piece of chocolate down and sprinkle some talc around it then when they come out for the choccy they will leave little footprints in the talc sounds a stupid idea , but that is how I found I had them.

You " Caught 21 last winter " was that in your van ?.........................Blooomin Heck !!!!!

I think i`d be looking for somewhere else ( if you can ) to park it.

Afraid it HAS to traps once they have got in and decided to stay, the 'Electric Screamers' only deter them from taking up residence, they ain't much good at getting rid of them once they are IN.

But, once rid of this lot, put them in cause they DO work. My vans have been rodent free for years now, since I started using them. Ray

Guest Peter James
zak2442 - 2012-11-23 3:55 PM

Hi

Just been away for a couple of days in van,whilst away we noticed we have what looks like field mice droppings under seats and in cupboards so looks like we have visitors,anyone got any ideas as to how to get rid of them other than traps wife would go mad if she knew i had killed them,lol.

set fire to it

Guest pelmetman

You can buy humane mouse traps which we use in the house, living in the country we always get the little critters in at this time of the year. Bait them with peanut butter or chocolate. Go for a drive and release them somewhere else :-D

SUE

Wooie - 2012-11-23 4:48 PM
kelly58 - 2012-11-23 4:29 PMTraps and Peanut Butter is the only solution the littlle critters can be anywhere they even found one in my Air Cleaner on the last service . You need to strip your motorhome of all bedding / cushions / towels etc so they will have no where to build a nest usually you can smell them as they are incontinent. Other than that invest in one of those electric mouse deterent thingy's whether they work or not I do not know , but traps definately do. We caught 21 last winter, but only 2 recently , but its early days , Good Luck .Just to make sure if they are still about put a piece of chocolate down and sprinkle some talc around it then when they come out for the choccy they will leave little footprints in the talc sounds a stupid idea , but that is how I found I had them.
You " Caught 21 last winter " was that in your van ?.........................Blooomin Heck 

Not in the van ,but in the greenhouse just behind it the talc trick I used was in the bungalow bathroom !! The one bonus is they make a good meal for the Ferrets .

I purchased one of the battery "rodent repellents" acouple of years ago and its in the van all the time.

It cost about £12 and the battery lasts about 6 mths, got it off the internet, unfortunately cant remember

where from it was some garden supplies w/saler, but it seems to work as have no little intruders.

I haven't found that the electronic deterents work at all - in fact I have watched the mice walk all over it or even sit on it! But I am talking about French mice so perhaps they are different. I use humane traps when I can and only resort to poison if there appears to be a big problem. Ordinary traps are horrible and messy to get rid of. I still find cheese works well as a bait but it is French cheese!!

Guest Peter James

Make sure they have no access to food and water so they have to go elsewhere.

Don't cover upholstery or leave cushions about or they will get underneath the covers to make a nest - they won't stay out in the open where they are visible.

If they have nowhere to hide, or nothing to eat or drink, they will go away.

Peter James - 2012-11-24 7:55 AM

Make sure they have no access to food and water so they have to go elsewhere.

Don't cover upholstery or leave cushions about or they will get underneath the covers to make a nest - they won't stay out in the open where they are visible.

If they have nowhere to hide, or nothing to eat or drink, they will go away.

As Peter says above. In order to survive they need 3 things:-

1) A source of food & water (they get enough "water from what they eat)

2) Somewhere safe & dry to live

3) Another mouse!

Take away any of those 3 & you wont have them.

You would be better employed finding out how they got in & preventing more from doing so using sealants and/or wire mesh, than by trying to trap the population of your garden inside your motorhome.

Guest Peter James
I used to have a few mice in my garage. I had a bag of peanuts (bird food) on the bench, the mice would take the peanuts from there to their hiding place behind the freezer next to the bench to eat them - I know because I found all the peanut shells there. There were no peanut shells anywhere near the bag of peanuts. They won't stay out in the open where they are visible for fear of predators. I made the mistake of covering up a sofa with an old blanket (trying to keep the sofa clean *-) ) and they made a nest underneath the blanket. I have disposed of the sofa, keep the bird food in a metal tin, and the mice just went away.

I know I have them under my greenhouse as I watched a scone being dragged under it (lol) the mouse being in reverse gear!!!

Ill look more kindly on that big cat that likes to sit under our van on the drive in future ;-) . I always empty the van of any foodstuffs over the winter months! Ive never THANK GOODNESS had a problem in any of our caravans or motorhomes up to now that is!!

Archived