Brenner Pass old road

peedee

Haven't been over for about 3yr, it had a 7.5t limit on it then. Agree with Jon, better than the motorway although if you took the motorway you can stop at the Service Station just pass the Europa Viaduct then walk back onto the Viaduct and take photo's. Camera's are there, so wouldn't recommend bungee jumping. No problem with road width, after all truck's used it before the motorway.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
Have done it in our CB no problermo... A good overnight is hoffe wolf, or something, its in camperstop book cant remember correct name....Excellent food,.you can stay on car park for free

Many thanks to you all. My motorhome is 6.5 tons, 8 meters long. I want to go from the Fern Pass via the Bremmer to Italy. Research has revealed the toll into Innsbruck on the A12 and via the A13 to the Italian border is just under 30 euros but the GO Box minimum charges is 75 Euros and I only want a one way through passage! Sounds like I can do it toll free on all the B roads. B171 into Innsbruck and the B182 up the Bremmer. Not bothered about how slow it may be, I'm not that nippy myself!

peedee

peedee - 2012-11-24 1:08 PM Sounds like I can do it toll free on all the B roads. B171 into Innsbruck and the B182 up the Bremmer. Not bothered about how slow it may be, I'm not that nippy myself!

peedee

You can do that. When entering Innsbruck best to keep on the South side of the city so as to easily pick the B182 up.

Dave

Since Brian posted his Fernpass route some years back I always use it.

We also have a heavy and I was bit concerned about weight limit signs entering Austria on the back roads. Please have a look at post

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19134&posts=25 (my contribution is no 6 or 7 and you'll find a useful picture.)

We use Camping Krannebitterhof just of the main drag north of Innsbruck Airport. They have BATHS !!! Rather oddly - even though this site was completely refurbed some years ago, - they didn't have anywhere to dump a chemic (fortunately sorted now) and you had to aim your thetford down a ground level tube that wasn't quite big enough for the task.

424007701_krannebitterhofchemic.JPG.4ba14225eba759a0ed0e6b4c7d4c3fe8.JPG

nowtelse2do - 2012-11-25 8:35 PM

peedee - 2012-11-24 1:08 PM Sounds like I can do it toll free on all the B roads. B171 into Innsbruck and the B182 up the Bremmer. Not bothered about how slow it may be, I'm not that nippy myself!

peedee

You can do that. When entering Innsbruck best to keep on the South side of the city so as to easily pick the B182 up.

Dave

Hi again. From memory you come into Innsbruck from the west on the 171 and go past the airport on your right. Not far now to the 174 south. It takes you over the river and slowly curves you round to an easterly direction again and you then soon turn right onto the 182 Brenner road. It is very easy as you are not near the center, although you will probably think you are as road does go through some busy areas but is mainy like retail and industrial parks. There is a fairly new campsite to the west of Innsbruck but we thought rather expensive so just moved on. We ended up in Steinach just after Matrei am Brenner I think, in a carpark for the chairlift ( and below the motorway which we did not find noisy as it is so much higher) . Worth while getting the chairlift up to Nosslachjoch summit, you do have to walk the last bit, but tremendous views on a clear day. There is the usual mantatory restaurant if I recall so getting a coffee while you admire the views is on the cards. The valley there is nice and so is the next one north from it ( the 183), which if you go down you will find a pleasant drive and there is a cheap campsite at Volderau. Its fairly basic looking and a mixed up array of static small caravans and camping spots but facilities are new and very good. Good views from the site.

It is well worth planning a halt somewhere in this area south of Innsbruck as really is quite beautiful and lots of really nice towns - towns which all the Motorhomes using the motorway miss. You will love the Brenner pass drive.

Jon.

Hi,

We used the old Brenner pass some years ago after carrying out some research on a German motorhome web site (using google translate on chrome) and were told that if the 3.5 ton limit signs have images of lorries on them then that's what they are for lorries not motorhomes.

However if the 3.5 ton limit signs have no images of any vehicle types then it covers all vehicles including motorhomes etc and you must obey ? hope that helps as there were quiet a few 3.5 ton limit signs along the old route but to the best of my memory they all had images of lorries ?

As for stopping in Austria great if you want to stop over night but it really didn't take very long from Mittenwald to Lake Guarda is only 190'ish miles, there are also some ACSI Camping Card sites in Austria however we found it better to just concentrate on the route avoiding the toll roads.

I must be honest and say that we did purchase a Go Box at the last filling station/toll booth in Mittenwald just in case but we returned it by post not being used when we got back to the UK and I think it just cost the postage and a standard hire charge which wasn't a lot for piece of mind rather than a possible fine.

If we were going again I would probably just take a chance and forget the Go Box, the road is very good no problems at all we are 7.5 long and 4 ton but there were plenty of local biggish lorries on the route, best of luck it may be worth doing a bit of research on the German motorhome web sites just to confirm if its still the same

this may be worth joining and asking the questions

http://www.promobil.de/

Brambles - 2012-11-26 1:58 AM

"We use Camping Krannebitterhof just of the main drag north of Innsbruck Airport"

They wanted something like 45 Euro from us for one night , hence why we moved on.

To clarify for member who PMed me and others , this was in the summer this year and was for 3 Adults as teenage son counted as an adult.. (Presumambly cheaper out of peak season)

Did some of it on our 100cc scooter this summer Peedee. Nothing to worry about and lovely scenery. We also did Europes longest Alpine coaster at Meaders which is in the area south of Innsbruck. Basically you go up to 6000ft in a cable car and launch yourself down the mountain on a tiny little bobsleigh thing on rails. I did it twice.

Archived