Nuevo pump probs

Sparky7

Current model Nuevos have a 105Ah leisure-battery as standard, but earlier ones apparently had a battery with a capacity as low as 75Ah. Nuevos aren't very large, so upping battery capacity significantly may be tricky regarding where big (or multiple) batteries could be housed. As Sparky7's objective seems to be for Marquis to resolve his complaint under warranty, I'm doubtful that Marquis would agree to 'improving' the vehicle by increasing its battery capacity, though I expect they'd fork out for a replacement pressure-switch.

Whether the Whale arrangement chosen by Auto-Sleepers is 'fit for purpose' is moot. With an off-the-shelf motorhome there will inevitably be a need for the owner either to operate the vehicle within its predictable limitations, or for the owner to alter the vehicle's standard specification to meet his/her requirements.

Firstly, thank you all so much for caring, and I think there is now light at the end of the tunnel. The photo provided by Kelly 58 is the thing I have to twiddle when the pump runs on, and if changing that sorted Kelly's problems then Marquis will do that happily I'm sure. I shall also ask them to relocate it to under the adjacent bench where it will be much easier to reach. I've only had the beast since August. It was 'new' ie one of those special deals that Marquis put out when they want room for new stock, and had probably sat about on the forecourt for a while as it has had other problems concomitant with that. The scenario I paint of having to squelch out of the shower has not yet occurred as I do not camp alone and have someone on standby for when I yell 'pump' to either turn it on or off at the main control.

Once again, very many thanks.

Auto-Sleepers's Nuevo handbook is here:

http://www.auto-sleepers.co.uk/uploads/handbooks/2012/Nuevo%202012%20handbook.pdf

Advice regarding the water-system is in sections 7.1 to 7.3, but it doesn't accurately cover your system. However, it would appear that a significant lowering in voltage (since the pump was previously adjusted) may result in the pump 'running on' even when all water-outlets are closed. Conversely, a significant increase in voltage (since the pump was previously adjusted) may result in the pump running intermittently ('pulsing') and, in this case, adding a Whale Surge Damper may help.

You might try adjusting the switch as follows

"Turn on a cold tap and close it slowly until the water comes out at a slow trickle. Then adjust the pressure switch until it can be heard constantly switching on and off."

doing this when the motorhome is NOT on a 230V hook-up. That should reduce the likelihood of 'running on' off-hook-up. Doing this might produce 'pulsing' of the pump when the motorhome is hooked-up but, if that happens, a surge-damper could be tried.

Hopefully a replacement in-line pressure-switch will address the present running-on characteristic, but you may still need to find an optimum setting for the replacement switch.

Sparky7 - 2012-11-29 9:24 AMMarquis have agreed to replace and relocate the in-line pressure switch and to fit an additional 110V leisure battery. I think this is pretty good after sales!

On previous postings I have praised the after care offered by Marquis  which I have received thats why I had no problem purchasing my new motorhome from them .

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Marquis, Devon. After much discussion, including solutions such as cutting a flap in the bathroom wall in order to access the in-line pressure switch, the final result is that Marquis have relocated this beastly item under the offside bench, where it is easily reached and have fitted 2 x 80 Ah AGM (gel-type) batties in the same footprint as the old 105 Ah battery. As Derek says, room is tight in the Nuevo, and storage under the bench is at a premium (well, the Christmas booze has to go somewhere), so these batteries are not in boxes. As there is no free acid, and risk of gassing is minimal (the boxes are not intrinsically safe anyway), I am happy with this, but been asked to sign a disclaimer to absolve Marquis of all consequences. As the only potential hazard that I can see is that someone silly might try to stick their fingers under a terminal cover, I am going to devise a protective lid to prevent this, and ask Marquis to revise the wording of their rather sweeping disclaimer. Apart from that, I think Marquis has provided excellent service.

Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks for all the help and advice.

Archived