Children

John.N

John.N - 2012-11-27 8:35 AM

Judgemental and Tracker. Children, children. Why don't you stop squabbling and grow up?? You are boring the pants off us.

In the name of all that's holy don't start them off again.

(You have read the final posting by Daniel Attwood in the (now frozen) 'Who but an idiot..." thread?)

Guest JudgeMental
I have asked the Mods for both a "like button" and an "ignore button" also. Most forums have these...good thing about a "like" button is if you enjoy a contribution and get something from it you can "like" it without the need for reply. One forum I use I have 2 protagonists on "ignore" list, consequently i enjoy forum much more and avoid flare ups.

To the best of my knowledge the software that underpins these forums hasn't changed since 2005, as much as anything because, realistically, it's set in stone. So, you can ask for "Like" and "Ignore" buttons, but the chances of them being provided are near-as-dammit nil.

Even if the software could be altered, there would be a financial overhead for Warners in arranging for it to be done. Much cheaper to address 'in-fighting' at source and get shot of the two or three forum members that persist in doing it.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-27 11:23 AM

Much cheaper to address 'in-fighting' at source and get shot of the two or three forum members that persist in doing it.

Too darned right - and we can start with those who always seem to start the process with their over reaction and insulting attacks

For crying out loud what is the matter with you people?

After Daniel's posting I was pleased that a line had been drawn and I was happy to let it rest, but no, there is always someone who has to stir it up again isn't there?

Over the years I try hard to help others when I can from my limited experience and I am pretty fed up with continually being attacked by those few who have a grudge from the past and see everything, even throw away humour as 'aimed' at them personally.

If you can persuade people like JM and CSF learn to respond to what they see as jibes aimed at them in a polite and reasoned manner instead of past raking hysteria we will be making progress.

As I see it if they think they have the right to adopt a 'holier than thou' attitude to be nasty to me then I surely have the right to respond?

I don't want this continual bitchiness any more than the bulk of the membership and history will show that never have I gone for anyone who did not go for me initially.

History will also show that I do not bear a grudge nor do I ever refer back to previous events in support of my own position but I will continue to converse with past protagonists on a polite level as long as they treat me with the same respect.

Surely to heaven that is not asking too much - or is it?

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-27 11:23 AM

To the best of my knowledge the software that underpins these forums hasn't changed since 2005, as much as anything because, realistically, it's set in stone. So, you can ask for "Like" and "Ignore" buttons, but the chances of them being provided are near-as-dammit nil.

Even if the software could be altered, there would be a financial overhead for Warners in arranging for it to be done. Much cheaper to address 'in-fighting' at source and get shot of the two or three forum members that persist in doing it.

I did not realise its that prehistoric and set in stone,,nothing wrong with asking for it being dragged into the present century is there...personally would rather pay towards a more pleasant and up to date experience....

The best posts on here are Brian Kirby's, he reads the query or comment then actually replies to it in a measured and intelligent way instead of using the forum as a soapbox. I have picked up many useful tips and hints on here but lately there does seem to be a lot more arguing and axe grinding than useful advice

gwyn - 2012-11-27 8:14 PM

The best posts on here are Brian Kirby's, he reads the query or comment then actually replies to it in a measured and intelligent way instead of using the forum as a soapbox. I have picked up many useful tips and hints on here but lately there does seem to be a lot more arguing and axe grinding than useful advice

Hey-up Brian .... it sounds like you've pulled!!!! (lol) ;-)

gwyn - 2012-11-27 8:14 PM

Gwyn,

Could not disagree about the quality of Brians posts but would not however make them exclusive. There is a WEALTH of advice on this forum as far as I am considered and learn something most every visit. Brian and a group of others are always most helpful and very informed. JM and Tracker are also experienced motorhomers and make a good contribution to the site. I just feel sorry they cannot get on a bit better than they do.

IDEA --Lets all encourage them to try for 2013 to turn over a new leaf, hopefully their enjoyment out of taking part would increase. Remember guys we are all getting too old for stress (!)

cheers

derek

I don't harbour the past as once a spat is over it is over as far as I am concerned and I move on like the adult that I claim to be!

The hand of friendship has been offered by me on many occasions to all that I have crossed keyboards with and sometimes it is accepted in good faith, sometimes in bad faith and sometimes not at all - but at least I offer!

I have no issues with anyone as we all have lots of experience to draw on to help others and the beauty is that we all have differing experiences, and differing points of view, and differing ways of putting these across.

Long may it continue.

Good morning folks. I find I generally seek information from the forum in respect of issues that require the benefit of the experienced motorhomers that provide generously from their experience. On several occasions I have benefitted from their detailed replies. By and large there are several prominant 'helpers' but I do not want to name these- unfortunately I do not have any technical expertise to reciprocate. I just want to add that a general spat is worth tolerating- I just pass on to the positive information in all replies- and would hate to think that some people would cease to contribute for fear of ridicule.

Guest JudgeMental

Nice one Franco..but thing is if warners could drag the software into this century there would be no spats.

Other FREE forums I use have far less archaic software with all the best attributes of a modern surfing experience.. Easy photo upload, ignore button, like or thanks button. Far longer edit post facility..really annoying this!. Plus they manage this with a fraction of the advertising that we have to put up with on here and no annoying pop ups...if viewing on iPad I now have to endure the forum tucked into left cornet and majority of page taken up with full colour adds of ALL the magazines warners produce?

With modern software you can personalise the experience and moderate the forum to suit yourself. Like I said earlier on one forum I use I have 2 members on ignore list..it makes such a difference and spats avoided. Pretty obvious that some just don't know how to pull it in. :-D

Eddie..Just out of interest,how do these "ignore butons" work?..do posts submitted by "ignored" contributors just fail to show up then..? :-S

If that's the case,then it sounds like a useful feature...

Failing that,maybe some sort of "Self-Righteous and Piety filter" would help take the edge off some contributors posts?.. (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2012-11-28 12:06 PM

Eddie..Just out of interest,how do these "ignore butons" work?..do posts submitted by "ignored" contributors just fail to show up then..? :-S

If that's the case,then it sounds like a useful feature...

Failing that,maybe some sort of "Self-Righteous and Piety filter" would help take the edge off some contributors posts?.. (lol) (lol)

Ha ha ha...indeed!

With V bulletin software you just add name to ignore list, unfortunately they don't quite disappear,, their post appears but content blank. I think it has to be like this or else thread would lose consistency...whatever warners are running is not even medieval it's stone age :D

I have been on one forum in particular for maybe as long as this one and there are 2 protagonists on list, hardly a nuclear option....it was another member who pointed out the option to me, and forum experience transformed......

Archived